Installation problems in Vista 64

rbeidl

Installation problems in Vista 64

I am having repeated problems with a new Toshiba Laptop that,
regrettably, has Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.

The computer is so new that I am still in the process of installing all
of my applications and tools. I finished installing Office 2007 and
then came the problems.

NOTHING would install. For example, I triied to install the 64-bit
version of iTunes and it started, asked if I wanted to RUN it, and when
I selected RUN, nothing happened. It ran for a few moments and then
just stopped. I tried to run the 32 bit version and it went all the way
to the point of telling me there was a 64-bit version and was I sure I
wanted to install the 32 bit version. In other words, Vista was willing
to install the 32 bit version but not the 64 bit.

I then tried to install Snagit, and while installing Snagit, I got the
following error:

"*Internal Error 2908.
{32C6FEA0-576F-4661-9304-82BB4BFF390C}*"
and then

"*Internal Error 2908.
{49190E7C-167E-4702-B628-4D69B80A8C69}*"

Plus another 50 or 60 keys with the same error.

THEN,
"*Error 1406. Could not write value RegOwner to key
\Products]81D19995889ABA541BFBA5EDE646DCF3\InstallProperties *"

I tried to hit _Ignore__and then _Retry_, but they did not work. Have
had to _ABORT_.

After some research I tried to reinstall the Installer by renaming some
old components and then reinstalling.

I then tried to reinstall Windows Installer for Vista 64 v4.5, file
name "*Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu*". Despite the fact that this is
supposed to be the right one for 64bit Vista, the RESULT: "The update
does not apply to your system."

I then followed the process to reset registry permissions. The first
attempt used the subinacl, which I realize is for the 32-bit keys, but I
found few options.
FIRST *reset.cmd
*
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f
/grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb
/verbose
secedit /con

Nearly every line resulted in a message that subinacl is not a
recognized internal or external command. Every line of the log was a
failure. I then went to the keys that this appraoch tried to change,
and manually changed the permissions on those that would allow it, and
then I tried this modified reset command.

I then tried
SECOND *reset.cmd*:
secedit /configure /cfg C:\Windows\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb
/areas REGKEYS

_*Here_is_the_log_it_created:*_

Monday, March 16, 2009 3:19:16 AM
----Configuration engine was initialized successfully.----

----Reading Configuration Template info...

----Configure 64-bit Registry Keys...
Configure users\.default.
Configure machine\software.
Configure machine\software\classes.
Configure machine\software\classes\.hlp.
Configure machine\software\microsoft\drm.
Configure machine\system.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\class.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\keyboard
layouts.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa\data.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa\gbg.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa\jd.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa\skew1 .
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\nsi.
Configure
machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\nsi\{eb00 4a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\4.
Configure
machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\nsi\{eb00 4a01-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\4.
Configure
machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\nsi\{eb00 4a1c-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\0.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\wmi\secur ity.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error enumerating info for
machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\appmgmt.
Configure
machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\scardsvr \security.
Warning 5: Access is denied.
Error setting security on
machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\stisvc.
Configure
machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\stisvc\s ecurity.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error enumerating info for
machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\sysmonlo g.
Configure machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\w32time\ config.
Configure
machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\w32time\ timeproviders.

Configuration of Registry Keys was completed successfully.

----Configure 32-bit Registry Keys...
Configure machine\software.
Warning 1336: The access control list (ACL) structure is invalid.
Error setting security on machine\software\Audible.

Configuration of Registry Keys was completed with one or more
errors.

----Un-initialize configuration engine...

So it seemed that I was able to repair the permissions on about 80% of
the keys that were addressed by the original reset command, but clearly
some would not change.

I have scoured the net trying to find solutions, but NOTHING WILL
INSTALL and the subinacl appraoch is not for 64 bitm and the secedit
does not do the job. I tried using Tuneup Utilities to fix the 2908
error, which is mentions specifically, but the solution did nothing to
resolve the problem.

Everything I try to install fails with a few specific error codes, or
simply does NOTHING (as with iTunes 64). I really do not know what to
do now, other than use the recovery disks to repair the installation,
but I am concerned it will require the reinstallation of some or many
software items, and once I reinstall I am back to having the same
problems. I am seriously considering returning to XP Pro!

Any suggestions? Need more details? Thanks.

--
rbeidl
Rick Rogers

Re: Installation problems in Vista 64
> I am having repeated problems with a new Toshiba Laptop that,
> regrettably, has Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Then why did you buy it?

> The computer is so new that I am still in the process of....

Then you should be using Toshiba's support as it's still under warranty.

> I finished installing Office 2007 and
> then came the problems. NOTHING would install.

Then the installer needs to be cleared, trying more and more installs only
makes it worse. If your sink backs up, you don't continue dumping more water
into it, do you?

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

> I then tried to install Snagit, and while installing Snagit, I got the
> following error:

So now it's choking on the clogged installer. See the above link.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rbeidl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> the keys that were addressed by the original reset command, but clearly
> some would not change.
>
> I have scoured the net trying to find solutions, but NOTHING WILL
> INSTALL and the subinacl appraoch is not for 64 bitm and the secedit
> does not do the job. I tried using Tuneup Utilities to fix the 2908
> error, which is mentions specifically, but the solution did nothing to
> resolve the problem.
>
> Everything I try to install fails with a few specific error codes, or
> simply does NOTHING (as with iTunes 64). I really do not know what to
> do now, other than use the recovery disks to repair the installation,
> but I am concerned it will require the reinstallation of some or many
> software items, and once I reinstall I am back to having the same
> problems. I am seriously considering returning to XP Pro!
>
> Any suggestions? Need more details? Thanks.

Buck

Re: Installation problems in Vista 64

I downloaded this scan and it said it was not for vista 64

--
Buck