Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)

=?Utf-8?B?VmVnYXNSaWNr?=

Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)
I recently bought a new Dell computer equipped with windows Vista Premium and
a D: Partition for recovery purposes

My old computer is an HP with a D: partition for recovery purposes.

I purchased the Belkin cable so I could use easy transfer.

The default in easy transfer copies all available disks: c: d: etc.

I didn't notice this, and happily took the default in the Easy transfer
program.

I got a cryptic warning message about a possible problem with not enough
disk space, but it didn't refer to the D: partition and I wondered how I
could possibly have a disk capacity problem since I was transferring from a
60 gig drive to a new 350 gig drive.

I ignored the warning nad let the Easy transfer do its thing.

Part way indo the transfer, it then told me my D: drive was out of space and
Easy Transfer couldn't continue.

I did try again with easy transfer, but instead of the default, only chose
to copy the C: drive. The transferfer went smoothly.

The problem I have now, is that my recovery partiton (D: drive) is out of
space and tells me about it every 5 minutes or so.

It is full of the new Dell recovery stuff, which I need, and the old HP
recovery stuff that I don't need.

The problem I have, is all these recovery files are hidden in a directory
that I can't seem to open. I cand see this directory from explorer, but can't
open it to go in and remove the old computer HP recovery files.

How can I change permissions on this recovery directory so I can get into it
and remove the HP files.

Thanks,

Rick
streetrod

Re: Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)

I have the same problem. I used wet to transfer from HP Vista home
premium 64 bit to HP Vista home premium 64 bit using a WD external hard
drive. The transfer size was 34 gb. It sent to the Recovery D drive and
ran out of space and quit. I tried a 2nd time and watched and it sent to
the D drive again and quit. Now my new computer is out of space on the
Recovery D drive. I ran a set of recovery disc before I started, so I
could just delete all the D drive or run the recovery disc to start the
computer from scratch. This seems drastic. I don,t want to have a
problem and be warned all the time because of no space on Recovery D
Drive. Does anyone have a simple fix?

--
streetrod
Mick Murphy

Re: Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)
A very simple solution: STOP saving anything, or sending anything, to the D:
Drive.
--
Mad Mike

"streetrod" wrote:

> I have the same problem. I used wet to transfer from HP Vista home
> premium 64 bit to HP Vista home premium 64 bit using a WD external hard
> drive. The transfer size was 34 gb. It sent to the Recovery D drive and
> ran out of space and quit. I tried a 2nd time and watched and it sent to
> the D drive again and quit. Now my new computer is out of space on the
> Recovery D drive. I ran a set of recovery disc before I started, so I
> could just delete all the D drive or run the recovery disc to start the
> computer from scratch. This seems drastic. I don,t want to have a
> problem and be warned all the time because of no space on Recovery D
> Drive. Does anyone have a simple fix?
>

> --
> streetrod

John Barnes

Re: Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)
Delete the WET files from the D drive and add another drive. If you are
going from the same system to the same system, I assume it is on another
machine, so how do you plan to transfer the data anyway?

"streetrod" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have the same problem. I used wet to transfer from HP Vista home
> premium 64 bit to HP Vista home premium 64 bit using a WD external hard
> drive. The transfer size was 34 gb. It sent to the Recovery D drive and
> ran out of space and quit. I tried a 2nd time and watched and it sent to
> the D drive again and quit. Now my new computer is out of space on the
> Recovery D drive. I ran a set of recovery disc before I started, so I
> could just delete all the D drive or run the recovery disc to start the
> computer from scratch. This seems drastic. I don,t want to have a
> problem and be warned all the time because of no space on Recovery D
> Drive. Does anyone have a simple fix?
>

> --
> streetrod

streetrod

Re: Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)

John, Thanks for the reply. I used WET to transfer from old computer
with Vista Premuim 64 bit to new computer with same OS. I found out too
late that WET transfers the recovery D drive from the old computer if
you do not select what to transfer. I used the easy option first (by
mistake). I figured out to select what to transfer. Now I have used
the WET to transfer only the C drive from old computer and everything is
OK on C drive on new computer. The problem is some of the old computer
Recovery D is on the new computer and D drive is full, 74mb free, should
be about 1.4GB. I went into this new computer D drive to delete and did
delete some that I could identify, but it made no difference in free
space. I don't really know what is safe to delete. I hate to format the
Recovery D partition, as I would have to run recovery from the recovery
DVD's that I made to start with, luckly I did these 1st thing. I think
this would clear C drive also. Do you or anyone have any ideas on how to
remove only the extra that was put on by WET on the new computer
Recovery D. Thanks for any help!

--
streetrod
John Barnes

Re: Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)
Just a guess, but is it possible you could use one of the date columns, say
date created, etc. I would think the native files would have earlier dates.

> John, Thanks for the reply. I used WET to transfer from old computer
> with Vista Premuim 64 bit to new computer with same OS. I found out too
> late that WET transfers the recovery D drive from the old computer if
> you do not select what to transfer. I used the easy option first (by
> mistake). I figured out to select what to transfer. Now I have used
> the WET to transfer only the C drive from old computer and everything is
> OK on C drive on new computer. The problem is some of the old computer
> Recovery D is on the new computer and D drive is full, 74mb free, should
> be about 1.4GB. I went into this new computer D drive to delete and did
> delete some that I could identify, but it made no difference in free
> space. I don't really know what is safe to delete. I hate to format the
> Recovery D partition, as I would have to run recovery from the recovery
> DVD's that I made to start with, luckly I did these 1st thing. I think
> this would clear C drive also. Do you or anyone have any ideas on how to
> remove only the extra that was put on by WET on the new computer
> Recovery D. Thanks for any help!
>

> --
> streetrod

Richard

RE: Easy Transfer Filled up My D: Drive (recovery OS etc)

My D drive is full and failed to increase the size, so I deleted the D drive
and created a new D drive, after that I want to back up whole systerm to D,
but never works with me.

My one is HP Vista

Could you give me a solution?