Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

installing a second OS

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2009
Alan Castillo
 

Posts: n/a
installing a second OS
I'll try to install vista ultimate 32 bit in another partition, using
partition magic, ok the deal is if i want to uninstall vista ultimate in a
future date, how can i fix the MBR?
with win XP i used to use fix mbr but dunno with vista :S i'm a newbie with
it, thanks a lot ^^
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2009
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: installing a second OS
Hi,

Most prefer to use the easier Vistabootpro (from the .org of the same name)
rather than manually employing bcdedit from the elevated command prompt.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Alan Castillo" <AlanCastillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A9DA1662-CC45-49F4-80BB-996FB0A13A4B@microsoft.com...
> I'll try to install vista ultimate 32 bit in another partition, using
> partition magic, ok the deal is if i want to uninstall vista ultimate in a
> future date, how can i fix the MBR?
> with win XP i used to use fix mbr but dunno with vista :S i'm a newbie
> with
> it, thanks a lot ^^


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2009
andy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: installing a second OS
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:16:01 -0700, Alan Castillo
<AlanCastillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'll try to install vista ultimate 32 bit in another partition, using
>partition magic, ok the deal is if i want to uninstall vista ultimate in a
>future date, how can i fix the MBR?
>with win XP i used to use fix mbr but dunno with vista :S i'm a newbie with
>it, thanks a lot ^^


Use the bootsect command that's on the Vista DVD:
bootsect /nt52 sys
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749177.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2009
John Barnett MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: installing a second OS
Just a quick note Rick have you noticed that VistaBootPro are now charging
for this software, as you know it used to be free. While I do prefer and
recommend VistaBootPro, for those that need a freeware version there is also
EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

--

--
John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
mail/post..


"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:OCsJDBipJHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Most prefer to use the easier Vistabootpro (from the .org of the same
> name) rather than manually employing bcdedit from the elevated command
> prompt.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Alan Castillo" <AlanCastillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A9DA1662-CC45-49F4-80BB-996FB0A13A4B@microsoft.com...
>> I'll try to install vista ultimate 32 bit in another partition, using
>> partition magic, ok the deal is if i want to uninstall vista ultimate in
>> a
>> future date, how can i fix the MBR?
>> with win XP i used to use fix mbr but dunno with vista :S i'm a newbie
>> with
>> it, thanks a lot ^^

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2009
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: installing a second OS
Hi John,

Nope, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:OtXBs8mpJHA.5832@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Just a quick note Rick have you noticed that VistaBootPro are now charging
> for this software, as you know it used to be free. While I do prefer and
> recommend VistaBootPro, for those that need a freeware version there is
> also EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)
>
> --
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
>
> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> the
> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> mail/post..
>
>
> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:OCsJDBipJHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Most prefer to use the easier Vistabootpro (from the .org of the same
>> name) rather than manually employing bcdedit from the elevated command
>> prompt.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Alan Castillo" <AlanCastillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A9DA1662-CC45-49F4-80BB-996FB0A13A4B@microsoft.com...
>>> I'll try to install vista ultimate 32 bit in another partition, using
>>> partition magic, ok the deal is if i want to uninstall vista ultimate in
>>> a
>>> future date, how can i fix the MBR?
>>> with win XP i used to use fix mbr but dunno with vista :S i'm a newbie
>>> with
>>> it, thanks a lot ^^

>>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2009
John Barnett MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: installing a second OS
Hi Rick,

I wouldn't have noticed but for the fact I had recommended it in one of my
posts. The person I recommended it to posted back saying he was going to
'buy' it tomorrow. I was just about to repost a comment saying it's freeware
so you don't need to buy it when I suddenly thought I had better check. Sure
enough they were charging $9.95 for the download. Not an extortionate amount
I know but some users may only need to use the application once.

--
John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org


The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
mail/post..


"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:OY0FvVopJHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi John,
>
> Nope, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:OtXBs8mpJHA.5832@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Just a quick note Rick have you noticed that VistaBootPro are now
>> charging for this software, as you know it used to be free. While I do
>> prefer and recommend VistaBootPro, for those that need a freeware version
>> there is also EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Windows XP Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
>>
>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
>> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
>> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:OCsJDBipJHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Most prefer to use the easier Vistabootpro (from the .org of the same
>>> name) rather than manually employing bcdedit from the elevated command
>>> prompt.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,
>>>
>>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>>
>>> "Alan Castillo" <AlanCastillo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:A9DA1662-CC45-49F4-80BB-996FB0A13A4B@microsoft.com...
>>>> I'll try to install vista ultimate 32 bit in another partition, using
>>>> partition magic, ok the deal is if i want to uninstall vista ultimate
>>>> in a
>>>> future date, how can i fix the MBR?
>>>> with win XP i used to use fix mbr but dunno with vista :S i'm a newbie
>>>> with
>>>> it, thanks a lot ^^
>>>

>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing SP3 from CD Louise microsoft.public.windowsupdate 6 01-08-2009 18:49
Installing hp all-in-one Kim microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 09-14-2007 19:24
after installing..... =?Utf-8?B?anRoMjkyQGFvbC5jb20=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 05-20-2007 14:57
installing windows xp after installing vista Abubakar microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 03-16-2007 11:46
Re-installing =?Utf-8?B?UFJIMw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 03-01-2007 14:46




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:55.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120