Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?

patchwerk

Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?
I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home Premium. I
was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few things
that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the only
installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created using
my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the existing
user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a warm
reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)

Night Hawk

Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?

patchwerk;993175 Wrote:
> I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home
> Premium. I
> was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few
> things
> that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
> reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the only
> installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created
> using
> my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the
> existing
> user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a warm
> reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)

Vista no longer sees the repair install option where only new system
files are installed leaving all registry entries and folders intact on
the drive. Unchecking the format option and backing up files and
settings with the backup feature would be the first thought for
preserving what you can from the existing installaiton.

*H-o-w- -t-o- -B-a-c-k-u-p- -F-i-l-e-s- -w-i-t-h-
-O-p-t-i-o-n-a-l- -A-u-t-o-m-a-t-i-c- -B-a-c-k-u-p-s- -i-n- -V-i-s-t-a-*
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...es.html?filter[11]=Backup
Restore

--
Night Hawk
DDW

Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:11:10 -0400, "patchwerk"
<hmeyer@thepatchwerks.com> wrote:

>I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home Premium. I
>was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few things
>that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
>reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the only
>installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created using
>my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the existing
>user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a warm
>reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)

Because there is no answer: you can't do what you want to do.

DDW
No email please
SIW2

Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?

Is this what you had in mind ?

This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of
your personal user account files, settings, and programs. You will be
performing a *Upgrade Install* from within your currently running Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

patchwerk;993175 Wrote:
> I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home
> Premium. I
> was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few
> things
> that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
> reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the only
> installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created
> using
> my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the
> existing
> user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a warm
> reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)

--
SIW2
patchwerk

Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?
Thank you, this is what I've been trying to do, and exactly where I THOUGHT
it would be... here's the catch... this user upgraded to SP1, then had a
problem, and pulled a system restore to a point prior to the SP1 install,
and THEN saw that SP1 was still in her Programs & Features listing, and
tried to uninstall it.. now neither my SP1 or vanilla discs will allow an
upgrade (warm) install.

Appreciate the response though... feel a bit less of a fool.

"SIW2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Is this what you had in mind ?
>
> This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of
> your personal user account files, settings, and programs. You will be
> performing a *Upgrade Install* from within your currently running Vista.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html
>
> Hope it helps
>
> SIW2
>

> patchwerk;993175 Wrote:
>> I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home
>> Premium. I
>> was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few
>> things
>> that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
>> reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the only
>> installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created
>> using
>> my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the
>> existing
>> user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a warm
>> reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)

> --
> SIW2

Rick Rogers

Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?
Hi,

Try undoing the last restore. Otherwise, the options are few - backup data
and reload cleanly.

If you install without formatting, the existing installation and user
accounts will be moved to a windows.old folder where you can later recover
data. You will need to reinstall programs and create new profiles - those
you cannot recover.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"patchwerk" <hmeyer@thepatchwerks.com> wrote in message
> Thank you, this is what I've been trying to do, and exactly where I
> THOUGHT it would be... here's the catch... this user upgraded to SP1, then
> had a problem, and pulled a system restore to a point prior to the SP1
> install, and THEN saw that SP1 was still in her Programs & Features
> listing, and tried to uninstall it.. now neither my SP1 or vanilla discs
> will allow an upgrade (warm) install.
>
> Appreciate the response though... feel a bit less of a fool.
>

> "SIW2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Is this what you had in mind ?
>>
>> This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of
>> your personal user account files, settings, and programs. You will be
>> performing a *Upgrade Install* from within your currently running Vista.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html
>>
>> Hope it helps
>>
>> SIW2
>>

>> patchwerk;993175 Wrote:
>>> I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home
>>> Premium. I
>>> was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few
>>> things
>>> that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
>>> reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the only
>>> installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created
>>> using
>>> my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the
>>> existing
>>> user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a warm
>>> reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)

>> --
>> SIW2

SIW2

Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?

Is there any possibility that a system restore to an appropriate point
would reverse the previous attempts to uninstall SP1?

Otherwise, Windows Easy Transfer might simplify putting everything back
if a clean reinstall is necessary.

I haven't done it myself, but it seems you need to tell Easy Transfer
you are on the Old Computer - to transfer files from it to an external
hd. Then when Vista is reinstalled, start Easy transfer from there and
tell it you are on the New Computer - to transfer to it from the
external HD.

'Using Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your data to a new computer'
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial138.html)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...-Transfer.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2

SIW2;993625 Wrote:
> Is there any possibility that a system restore to an appropriate point
> would reverse the previous attempts to uninstall SP1?
>
> Otherwise, Windows Easy Transfer might simplify putting everything back
> if a clean reinstall is necessary.
>
> I haven't done it myself, but it seems you need to tell Easy Transfer
> you are on the Old Computer - to transfer files from it to an external
> hd. Then when Vista is reinstalled, start Easy transfer from there and
> tell it you are on the New Computer - to transfer to it from the
> external HD.
>
> 'Using Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your data to a new computer'
> (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial138.html)
>
> 'Migrating to Vista using Windows Easy Transfer'
> (http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...-Transfer.html)
>

> Hope it helps
>
> SIW2
>

> > patchwerk;993301 Wrote:
> > Thank you, this is what I've been trying to do, and exactly where I
> > THOUGHT
> > it would be... here's the catch... this user upgraded to SP1, then had
> > problem, and pulled a system restore to a point prior to the SP1
> > install,
> > and THEN saw that SP1 was still in her Programs & Features listing, and
> > tried to uninstall it.. now neither my SP1 or vanilla discs will allow
> > an
> > upgrade (warm) install.
> >
> > Appreciate the response though... feel a bit less of a fool.
> >

> > "SIW2" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> > news:e2e48592e661a7bc16361f7024c34f1b@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > > > >

> > > Vista.

When installing any service pack like SP1 or SP2 beta for Vista soon to
be seeing an rtm if not beta 2 you automatically see a restore point
made at the time. I usually manually create one or two on top of that in
case of a bad install.

But if you wait too long that point gets replaced by a newer one
automatically when the reserved drive space fills. That should work
however if still found as well as any other remaining prior to that.

--
Night Hawk