Installing Ultimate upgrade

dave1421

Installing Ultimate upgrade

I have a Aspire AM5620-E5301A Acer computer.
On Acer it has Windows Vista Premium Home.
I bought Windows Ultimate software to put on my Acer computer.
It starts to load up OK, put in the key number in than next step is.
To pick custom install or upgrade install, but upgrade choice is grey
out.
It is disable from using the upgrade choice, I want to choose to pick.
I did not purchase Windows Ultimate through Acer anytime upgrade
option.
It was a store bought software it was cheaper than Acer price they
offer.
What is the problem with installing Ultimate with Acer computer?
Thanks

--
dave1421
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Installing Ultimate upgrade
You must boot into your existing Windows Vista Home Premium installation,
then once you are at the Desktop, insert the upgrade DVD disc in your DVD drive
and you will be offered the upgrade option.

--
Visit the new Windows Vista Answers Forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/.../windowsvista/

"dave1421" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:77c9c8136c254ff1a934b7888488fb42@nntp-gateway.com...

I have a Aspire AM5620-E5301A Acer computer.
On Acer it has Windows Vista Premium Home.
I bought Windows Ultimate software to put on my Acer computer.
It starts to load up OK, put in the key number in than next step is.
To pick custom install or upgrade install, but upgrade choice is grey
out.
It is disable from using the upgrade choice, I want to choose to pick.
I did not purchase Windows Ultimate through Acer anytime upgrade
option.
It was a store bought software it was cheaper than Acer price they
offer.
What is the problem with installing Ultimate with Acer computer?
Thanks

--
dave1421
Night Hawk

dave1421;992432 Wrote:
> I have a Aspire AM5620-E5301A Acer computer.
> On Acer it has Windows Vista Premium Home.
> I bought Windows Ultimate software to put on my Acer computer.
> It starts to load up OK, put in the key number in than next step is.
> To pick custom install or upgrade install, but upgrade choice is grey
> out.
> It is disable from using the upgrade choice, I want to choose to pick.
> I did not purchase Windows Ultimate through Acer anytime upgrade
> option.
> It was a store bought software it was cheaper than Acer price they
> offer.
> What is the problem with installing Ultimate with Acer computer?
> Thanks

The retail disk you bought will not be able to upgrade a factory
preinstalled copy of Windows. That option is greyed out since you bought
the disk retail and not an intended upgrade disk direct from Acer. The
installer will simply replace the existing installation as well as see a
new Windows.old folder created during the installation unless you leave
the format option box checked off.

--
Night Hawk
DDW

Re: Installing Ultimate upgrade
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:36:57 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Visit the new Windows Vista Answers Forums:

If Carey's there, stay away like it's got the plague.

DDW
No email please
dave1421

Re: Installing Ultimate upgrade

What steps do I need to do, to get it install?

--
dave1421
Night Hawk

dave1421;992480 Wrote:
> What steps do I need to do, to get it install?

When booting up from the new Vista dvd and going through the initial
startup of the installer you have the option of going into the drive
tools section and selecting the format option or making sure the format
box is checked off. The Vista installer will then proceed to reformat
the intended primary unless using the drive tools>format option.

That will see everything on the primary wiped completely for a clean
install of Ultimate. You will also be leaving the factory recovery
partition intact unless you elect to wipe the drive entirely with the
partitioning tools seen there. Make sure to backup anything you need
from the primary first before proceeding.

To revert back to Home Premium if you decide to do that later you would
want to at least create a set of separate recovery disks while that is
still intact. Remember those would be bonded to that machine only by the
product key the system came with for the factory preinstall of the HP
edition.

--
Night Hawk
da180

Re: Installing Ultimate upgrade

I just did the exact same thing yesterday with Ultimate Upgrade.

I wanted a clean install so I booted from the upgrade disk and chose
NOT to enter the key and NOT to activate automatically.

At the screen where the drive is shown, I clicked on the options, then
deleted/formated the drive. I then installed Ultimate normally. I then
installed from within windows and entered the key and activated.

If you choose not to do a clean install then you can skip the
partition/format steps I took. You would then simply install the
Ultimate upgrade from WITHIN windows H.P.

Put the disk in your DVD drive and select setup.

--
da180
Malke

Night Hawk wrote:

> The retail disk you bought will not be able to upgrade a factory
> preinstalled copy of Windows. That option is greyed out since you bought
> the disk retail and not an intended upgrade disk direct from Acer. The
> installer will simply replace the existing installation as well as see a
> new Windows.old folder created during the installation unless you leave
> the format option box checked off.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. The correct answer was already given by Mr.
Frisch. Updates need to be run from within a working system.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Malke

Night Hawk wrote:

> dave1421;992480 Wrote:
>> What steps do I need to do, to get it install?

I'm sorry but the initial information that you gave the OP is incorrect. The
correct answer was already given by Mr. Frisch. Updates need to be run from
within a working system. All the OP has to do is log into his Vista Home
Premium install and put in the Ultimate Upgrade DVD.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

dave1421

Re: Installing Ultimate upgrade

For my Acer Aspire desktop AM5620-E5301A. I decide to go back to factory
set-up.
To re-do it and install my Acer factory backup files, I made up for it.
Vista SP1 was not there to stop me from installing Windows Vista
Ultimate.

Windows SP1 was the problem, I install Vista Ultimate on my computer
now.
Now doing windows updates, than it may update it to SP1.
Thank for the help.

--
dave1421