Want to install XP on machine with vista

=?Utf-8?B?UmFrZXNo?=

Want to install XP on machine with vista
I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But I
heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And for
that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some one
please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.
tuttefrut66@gmail.com

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
On 12 apr, 09:52, Rakesh <Rak...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But I
> heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And for
> that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some one
> please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

this is what you are looking for :
http://www.apcstart.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Plebism

"Rakesh" <Rakesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But I
> heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And
> for
> that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some
> one
> please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

Good luck - I had AWFUL problems trying to install XP after Vista was
installed

XP first then Vista is the way to go

pleb
xbs

=?Utf-8?B?UmFrZXNo?=

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
Thanks a ton Tuttefrut!

"tuttefrut66@gmail.com" wrote:

> On 12 apr, 09:52, Rakesh <Rak...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But I
> > heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And for
> > that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some one
> > please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

> this is what you are looking for :
> http://www.apcstart.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

=?Utf-8?B?UmFrZXNo?=

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
Thanks a ton Tuttefrut!

"tuttefrut66@gmail.com" wrote:

> On 12 apr, 09:52, Rakesh <Rak...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But I
> > heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And for
> > that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some one
> > please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

> this is what you are looking for :
> http://www.apcstart.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

John Barnett MVP

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
Plebism, I know that XP can be installed after vista, especially if you use
VistaBootPro to chnage the boot options but i, like you, am a great believer
in 'oldest OS' first followed by the latest. It certainly is much easier.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Plebism" <plebism@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rakesh" <Rakesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But
>> heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And
>> for
>> that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some
>> one
>> please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

> Good luck - I had AWFUL problems trying to install XP after Vista was
> installed
>
> XP first then Vista is the way to go
>
> pleb
> xbs

=?Utf-8?B?YXVndXN0dXNfbWV5ZXI=?=

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
It is not for the faint-hearted, howver, I succeeded.
After learning quite a few things about "BCDEDIT":

10807 » Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version
of the Windows operating system for dual booting? (13-Sep-06)
When you install an earlier version of Windows for dual booting with Windows
Vista, like Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP, or Windows 2000, Windows
Vista no longer starts. If you install an additional copy of Windows XP on a
computer that already dual boots Windows XP and Windows Vista, you may
receive Disk read error has occurred when starting your computer.
These issues occur because the startup method or Windows NT-based operating
systems and the new Windows Vista startup method is incompatible. Windows
Vista uses a new Boot Configuration Database (BCD) store, which contains a
boot menu and all the information about operating systems that are installed
on the computer.

When Windows Vista starts on a BIOS-based computer, the BIOS loads the MBR
and then runs the code in the boot sector which loads Bootmgr.exe (Windows
Boot Manager). Bootmgr.exe parses the BCD store to enumerate the operating
systems and displays the boot menu. If you select an earlier operating system
to start, Bootmgr.exe transfers control to the earlier Ntldr.exe.
When you install an earlier operating system, Setup overwrites the MBR, so
the Windows Boot Manager doesn't load.
To restore Windows Boot Manager:
1. Log on the earlier operating system as an administrator.
1. Open a CMD.EXE window.
2. Type CD-ROM:\boot\bootsect.exe -NT60 All and press Enter, where CD-ROM:
is the drive letter that contains the Windows Vista media.
3. Restart your computer in Windows Vista.
4. Use Start / Accessories and right-click the command-prompt shortcut,
pressing Run as Administrator.
5. Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each line:
NOTE: Drive: is the drive letter where Windows Vista is installed and X: is
the drive letter of the active partition.
Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –create {ntldr} –d “Description for earlier
Windows version, like Windows XP”
Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=X:
Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr
Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast
6. Restart the computer.

"Plebism" wrote:

> "Rakesh" <Rakesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But I
> > heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And
> > for
> > that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some
> > one
> > please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

> Good luck - I had AWFUL problems trying to install XP after Vista was
> installed
>
> XP first then Vista is the way to go
>
> pleb
> xbs

=?Utf-8?B?YXVndXN0dXNfbWV5ZXI=?=

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
An "Official Cookbook", or some kind or script, for this procedure would be
welcome in the public, I guess.
After buying a new laptop with Vista pre-installed, I had to learn it the
hard way.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Plebism, I know that XP can be installed after vista, especially if you use
> VistaBootPro to chnage the boot options but i, like you, am a great believer
> in 'oldest OS' first followed by the latest. It certainly is much easier.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "Plebism" <plebism@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rakesh" <Rakesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But
> >> heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And
> >> for
> >> that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some
> >> one
> >> please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

> > Good luck - I had AWFUL problems trying to install XP after Vista was
> > installed
> >
> > XP first then Vista is the way to go
> >
> > pleb
> > xbs

mikeyhsd

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
I tried to use it as well, but found VistaVBootPro to be much easier to use.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Plebism" wrote:

> "Rakesh" <Rakesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista on my C drive and I want to install XP on another drive. But I
> > heard that I cannot boot to vista if I install XP on another drive. And
> > for
> > that I need to configure boot file of vista. If that is true, could some
> > one
> > please let me know what needs to be done to make vista boot.

> Good luck - I had AWFUL problems trying to install XP after Vista was
> installed
>
> XP first then Vista is the way to go
>
> pleb
> xbs

=?Utf-8?B?Q29sb25lbEFkZGFtcw==?=

Re: Want to install XP on machine with vista
So Pleb,

is there a tutorial on how to install vista using XP and a secondary HD?

Colonel