Upgrade option from XP to Vista x64 w/OEM possible?

scajjr

Upgrade option from XP to Vista x64 w/OEM possible?

Have XP pro sp3 32 bit on my pc. Just bought Vista Home Premium OEM
disk. Is it possible to install as Upgrade so I can keep my XP
files/programs/etc?

Sam

--
scajjr
philo

Re: Upgrade option from XP to Vista x64 w/OEM possible?

"scajjr" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Have XP pro sp3 32 bit on my pc. Just bought Vista Home Premium OEM
> disk. Is it possible to install as Upgrade so I can keep my XP
> files/programs/etc?
>
> Sam

Not possible
nor is it something you'd want to do anyway...

Bruce Chambers

scajjr wrote:
> Have XP pro sp3 32 bit on my pc. Just bought Vista Home Premium OEM
> disk. Is it possible to install as Upgrade so I can keep my XP
> files/programs/etc?
>
> Sam

No, it's not possible. An OEM DVD cannot be used to perform an upgrade
of an earlier OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an
empty hard drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrade option from XP to Vista x64 w/OEM possible?
32bit to 64bit has to be a clean install.
--
Mad Mike

"scajjr" wrote:

> Have XP pro sp3 32 bit on my pc. Just bought Vista Home Premium OEM
> disk. Is it possible to install as Upgrade so I can keep my XP
> files/programs/etc?
>
> Sam
>

> --
> scajjr

Tom Lake

Re: Upgrade option from XP to Vista x64 w/OEM possible?
"scajjr" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Have XP pro sp3 32 bit on my pc. Just bought Vista Home Premium OEM
> disk. Is it possible to install as Upgrade so I can keep my XP
> files/programs/etc?

One thing you could do is to run Windows Easy Transfer to save your files and
settings to an external drive or DVDs then load the OEM Vista and restore the files
and
settings. You'll still have to reinstall your apps, though.

Tom Lake

scajjr

Re: Upgrade option from XP to Vista x64 w/OEM possible?

Going to just do some resizing on my hard drive and dual boot for now.

Sam

--
scajjr