Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista French CD?

sunnierstudent

Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista French CD?
Hi,

I am in France. I am planning to buy a ACER desktop from an online vendor.
It will come with a Windows Vista French edition pre-installed and they will
give me the French Windows Vista CD.

Can I later install the Windows Vista in English from this French Windows
Vista CD?
Bruce Chambers

Re: Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista FrenchCD?
sunnierstudent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in France. I am planning to buy a ACER desktop from an online vendor.
> It will come with a Windows Vista French edition pre-installed and they will
> give me the French Windows Vista CD.
>
> Can I later install the Windows Vista in English from this French Windows
> Vista CD?

No, of course not. To quote Charles Babbage, "I am not able to rightly
apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a
question."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
sunnierstudent

Re: Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista French
I don't understand. What do you mean? And why can't I?

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> sunnierstudent wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am in France. I am planning to buy a ACER desktop from an online vendor.
> > It will come with a Windows Vista French edition pre-installed and they will
> > give me the French Windows Vista CD.
> >
> > Can I later install the Windows Vista in English from this French Windows
> > Vista CD?

> No, of course not. To quote Charles Babbage, "I am not able to rightly
> apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a
> question."
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Dominic Payer

Re: Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista FrenchCD?
Only if your version of Vista is Ultimate. If so, you can install a
language pack. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471 .

There is an unofficial way. See
http://www.ghacks.net/2008/05/12/cha...windows-vista/.

You would be best advised to buy an English desktop from a UK vendor if
you want to use English as your working language.

On 08/03/2009 18:29, sunnierstudent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in France. I am planning to buy a ACER desktop from an online vendor.
> It will come with a Windows Vista French edition pre-installed and they will
> give me the French Windows Vista CD.
>
> Can I later install the Windows Vista in English from this French Windows
> Vista CD?

Rick Rogers

Re: Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista French
Hi,

The disks are language-specific so if you want English, you need an English
disk.

Bruce's quoted comment is basically a question of what would have led
someone to think they could install in English from a French disk when this
has never ever been the case.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sunnierstudent" <sunnierstudent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't understand. What do you mean? And why can't I?
>

> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
>> sunnierstudent wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am in France. I am planning to buy a ACER desktop from an online
>> > vendor.
>> > It will come with a Windows Vista French edition pre-installed and they
>> > will
>> > give me the French Windows Vista CD.
>> >
>> > Can I later install the Windows Vista in English from this French
>> > Windows
>> > Vista CD?

>> No, of course not. To quote Charles Babbage, "I am not able to rightly
>> apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a
>> question."
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>> Russell
>>
>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>> killed a great many philosophers.
>> ~ Denis Diderot

sunnierstudent

Re: Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista French
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the response.
Is it allowed by Microsoft if I install the English version by using a
freiend's CD/DVD but use the French Vista Authentication Key that I have
bought?
Will the English version accept my original French Windows Vista
Authentication key.

Thanks in advance.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The disks are language-specific so if you want English, you need an English
> disk.
>
> Bruce's quoted comment is basically a question of what would have led
> someone to think they could install in English from a French disk when this
> has never ever been the case.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "sunnierstudent" <sunnierstudent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't understand. What do you mean? And why can't I?

> >> No, of course not. To quote Charles Babbage, "I am not able to rightly
> >> apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a
> >> question."
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Bruce Chambers
> >>
> >> Help us help you:
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
> >>
> >> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> >> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
> >>
> >> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> >> Russell
> >>
> >> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
> >> killed a great many philosophers.
> >> ~ Denis Diderot

sunnierstudent

Re: Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista French
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the response. It could be of great help. But I only prefer
using the authentic way. But your suggestion is really appreciated and I am
sure it would be of help to many other people.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> Only if your version of Vista is Ultimate. If so, you can install a
> language pack. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471 .
>
> There is an unofficial way. See
> http://www.ghacks.net/2008/05/12/cha...windows-vista/.
>
> You would be best advised to buy an English desktop from a UK vendor if
> you want to use English as your working language.
>

> On 08/03/2009 18:29, sunnierstudent wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am in France. I am planning to buy a ACER desktop from an online vendor.
> > It will come with a Windows Vista French edition pre-installed and they will
> > give me the French Windows Vista CD.
> >
> > Can I later install the Windows Vista in English from this French Windows
> > Vista CD?

Rick Rogers

Re: Installing Windows Vista in English from Windows Vista French
Good question. I honestly don't know. Keys are usually specific to the
version (Home, Business, Ultimate), not, as far as I know, to the language,
so it may work