[Vista HP32bit] Imaging using Ghost

Gary Miller

[Vista HP32bit] Imaging using Ghost

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle if I made a mistake in
posting this here or whatever. :-)

I am a intern on a School for my education and currently I'm looking
into Imaging. Yesterday I used Symantec Ghost to image a XP machine.

I was wondering if this would also be possible with Vista. Using
something like a bootable Vista usb drive or cd or something?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Miller

--
Gary Miller
Malke

Re: [Vista HP32bit] Imaging using Ghost
Gary Miller wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm new to this forum so please be gentle if I made a mistake in
> posting this here or whatever. :-)
>
> I am a intern on a School for my education and currently I'm looking
> into Imaging. Yesterday I used Symantec Ghost to image a XP machine.
>
> I was wondering if this would also be possible with Vista. Using
> something like a bootable Vista usb drive or cd or something?

Certainly Vista can be imaged. You just need to use an imaging program (and
version of it) that supports Vista. I don't know what version of Ghost
supports Vista but you can check on its website. I use Acronis True Image
Echo Workstation and there is a TI Home edition, too.

I don't actually understand your last paragraph. You image Vista exactly the
same way you image XP or Linux. Refer to your imaging software's Help for
details.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Gary Miller

Malke;985133 Wrote:
> Gary Miller wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I'm new to this forum so please be gentle if I made a mistake in
> > > posting this here or whatever. :-)
> > >
> > > I am a intern on a School for my education and currently I'm looking
> > > into Imaging. Yesterday I used Symantec Ghost to image a XP machine.
> > >
> > > I was wondering if this would also be possible with Vista. Using
> > > something like a bootable Vista usb drive or cd or something? > > Certainly Vista can be imaged. You just need to use an imaging program

> (and
> version of it) that supports Vista. I don't know what version of
> Ghost
> supports Vista but you can check on its website. I use Acronis True
> Image
> Echo Workstation and there is a TI Home edition, too.
>
> I don't actually understand your last paragraph. You image Vista
> exactly the
> same way you image XP or Linux. Refer to your imaging software's Help
> for
> details.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't even think straight enough to know that the ghost version I'm
talking about is not supporting VISTA ofcourse.

What I meant with the last paragraph was I recently made a image of a
XP machine with Ghost (XP Boot Floppy that boots the command prompt and
Ghost on a floppy to start the program) and made a image on a separate
partition I made earlier. Then put it on a extern hard drive and put it
on another machine (new partition as well) and did the sequence again of
XP boot floppy etcetera. I though for vista you might need a vista boot
cd as well but I guess you can use the boot cd of the program (like with
Spotmau 2009)

I will be looking into the programs you adviced. Thank you very much
for your advice. It's very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gary

Gary Miller wrote:

> I didn't even think straight enough to know that the ghost version I'm
> talking about is not supporting VISTA ofcourse.
>
> What I meant with the last paragraph was I recently made a image of a
> XP machine with Ghost (XP Boot Floppy that boots the command prompt and
> Ghost on a floppy to start the program) and made a image on a separate
> partition I made earlier. Then put it on a extern hard drive and put it
> on another machine (new partition as well) and did the sequence again of
> XP boot floppy etcetera. I though for vista you might need a vista boot
> cd as well but I guess you can use the boot cd of the program (like with
> Spotmau 2009)
>
> I will be looking into the programs you adviced. Thank you very much
> for your advice. It's very much appreciated.

YW. Newer versions of Ghost image Vista just fine. You can use the boot CD
of the imaging program if you bought it retail or create bootable media (CD
or USB thumb drive or even floppy - but who has floppy drives any more?)
from within the installed imaging program. I don't know if Ghost allows you
to create a bootable USB drive because I don't use it, but I know TI does.
With the enterprise version of TI, you can even boot/image target computers
remotely over the network.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

semoi

Re: [Vista HP32bit] Imaging using Ghost
All users should be cautious of relying solely on any ghost copy of their
hard drive as a fail-safe back-up.
Such back-ups are far from fail-safe.
There are many reasons why such back-ups may not work if and when disaster
strikes and you actually need to restore your hard drive.
While it is worth using such software, because if it works it can be a
godsend, the safest back-up method is to copy your data files, downloads,
or anything else you want to preserve to whatever medium you prefer (hard
drive, CD/DVD etc) and hang on to your program installation discs and
activation keys.

Joe Morris

"semoi" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote:

> All users should be cautious of relying solely on any ghost copy of their
> hard drive as a fail-safe back-up.
> Such back-ups are far from fail-safe.
> There are many reasons why such back-ups may not work if and when disaster
> strikes and you actually need to restore your hard drive.
> While it is worth using such software, because if it works it can be a
> godsend, the safest back-up method is to copy your data files, downloads,
> or anything else you want to preserve to whatever medium you prefer (hard
> drive, CD/DVD etc) and hang on to your program installation discs and
> activation keys.

A reminder to posters in threads involving Ghost: "Symantec Ghost" and
"Norton Ghost" are two completely different products. The former is the
"traditional" Ghost and is marketed to enterprises; the latter is the
consumer product, and at least since version 9 (?) is a rebadged PowerQuest
Drive Image. It would help if you include in your postings a comment
identifying which one you're referring to.

For the OP: the current distribution of Symantec Ghost (Ghost Solutions
Suite 2.5) builds a bootable CD based on the Vista flavor of WinPE. I've
also ported the GHOST32.EXE back to the XP version of PE with no problems
(the tool I use to get inside a full-disk-encrypted drive hasn't been
updated to support the new WinPE).

Joe Morris

MLD

"Gary Miller" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm new to this forum so please be gentle if I made a mistake in
> posting this here or whatever. :-)
>
> I am a intern on a School for my education and currently I'm looking
> into Imaging. Yesterday I used Symantec Ghost to image a XP machine.
>
> I was wondering if this would also be possible with Vista. Using
> something like a bootable Vista usb drive or cd or something?
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gary Miller
>

> --
> Gary Miller

I just bought and used Acronis Home 2009. Imaged two ways--one to a
Acronis Made Secure Zone on the HD and the other to an external HD. Got a
Western Digital HD (Passport Essential 320 GB) for that purpose and also use
it to back up all my data files, downloads etc. to a separate folder. All
in all, it was easy to use.
MLD