Vista Install will not recognize my hard drive

thenotsothinman

Vista Install will not recognize my hard drive

My Vista PC crashed and I had to format my hard drive. Now I can't get
Vista install to see the hd. It shows up in the bios. It also works
for storage if I use it as a secondary drive with both Vista or XP
installed on a master drive. Also I was able to get XP SP3 installed on
the drive. The hd is an SATA. I have tried getting the updated drives
for hd and the motherboard but I really don't know what I should be
looking for. My goal is to dual boot with Vista on the hd in question
witch is 250GB and XP on my other 30GB drive so I can use my camcorder
that is not compatible with Vista but that is a secondary concern. I
would just like to get vista to install on the 250GB hd if anyone can
help me.

--
thenotsothinman
thenotsothinman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/thenotsothinman.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Patrick Keenan

Re: Vista Install will not recognize my hard drive
"thenotsothinman" <thenotsothinman.3olond@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> My Vista PC crashed and I had to format my hard drive. Now I can't get
> Vista install to see the hd. It shows up in the bios. It also works
> for storage if I use it as a secondary drive with both Vista or XP
> installed on a master drive. Also I was able to get XP SP3 installed on
> the drive. The hd is an SATA.

Of course it is.

mode. Save, restart, and retry the install, and the drive should be
detected.

Once Vista is installed, go to Device Manager and install the AHCI drivers
for the drive controller. Once that's done, power off, go back to the
BIOS, and shift the controller back to Native mode. Save, restart, and the
drivers should be properly installed.

HTH
-pk

> I have tried getting the updated drives
> for hd and the motherboard but I really don't know what I should be
> looking for. My goal is to dual boot with Vista on the hd in question
> witch is 250GB and XP on my other 30GB drive so I can use my camcorder
> that is not compatible with Vista but that is a secondary concern. I
> would just like to get vista to install on the 250GB hd if anyone can
> help me.
>

> --
> thenotsothinman
> thenotsothinman's Profile:
> http://forums.techarena.in/members/thenotsothinman.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1135721.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

thenotsothinman

Patrick Keenan;4284343 Wrote:
> "thenotsothinman" <thenotsothinman.3olond@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in
> message
> >
> > My Vista PC crashed and I had to format my hard drive. Now I can't

> get
> > Vista install to see the hd. It shows up in the bios. It also

> works
> > for storage if I use it as a secondary drive with both Vista or XP
> > installed on a master drive. Also I was able to get XP SP3 installed

> on
> > the drive. The hd is an SATA.

> Of course it is.

> mode. Save, restart, and retry the install, and the drive should be
> detected.
>
> Once Vista is installed, go to Device Manager and install the AHCI
> drivers
> for the drive controller. Once that's done, power off, go back to
> the
> BIOS, and shift the controller back to Native mode. Save, restart,
> and the
> drivers should be properly installed.
>
> HTH
> -pk
>
> > I have tried getting the updated drives
> > for hd and the motherboard but I really don't know what I should be
> > looking for. My goal is to dual boot with Vista on the hd in

> question
> > witch is 250GB and XP on my other 30GB drive so I can use my

> camcorder
> > that is not compatible with Vista but that is a secondary concern.

> > would just like to get vista to install on the 250GB hd if anyone

> can
> > help me.
> >

> > --
> > thenotsothinman

> > thenotsothinman's Profile:
> > http://forums.techarena.in/members/thenotsothinman.htm
> > View this thread:
> > http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1135721.htm
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

Thank you for responding but can't find anything I can shift to legacy
or native. I Guess that I don't know how to shift the drive controller.
All the option I know how to change about my drives just let me enable
or disable.

"thenotsothinman" <thenotsothinman.3omzvb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Patrick Keenan;4284343 Wrote:
>> "thenotsothinman" <thenotsothinman.3olond@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >
>> > My Vista PC crashed and I had to format my hard drive. Now I can't

>> get
>> > Vista install to see the hd. It shows up in the bios. It also

>> works
>> > for storage if I use it as a secondary drive with both Vista or XP
>> > installed on a master drive. Also I was able to get XP SP3 installed

>> on
>> > the drive. The hd is an SATA.

>> Of course it is.

>> mode. Save, restart, and retry the install, and the drive should be
>> detected.
>>
>> Once Vista is installed, go to Device Manager and install the AHCI
>> drivers
>> for the drive controller. Once that's done, power off, go back to
>> the
>> BIOS, and shift the controller back to Native mode. Save, restart,
>> and the
>> drivers should be properly installed.
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk
>>
>> > I have tried getting the updated drives
>> > for hd and the motherboard but I really don't know what I should be
>> > looking for. My goal is to dual boot with Vista on the hd in

>> question
>> > witch is 250GB and XP on my other 30GB drive so I can use my

>> camcorder
>> > that is not compatible with Vista but that is a secondary concern.

>> > would just like to get vista to install on the 250GB hd if anyone

>> can
>> > help me.
>> >

>> > --
>> > thenotsothinman

>> > thenotsothinman's Profile:
>> > http://forums.techarena.in/members/thenotsothinman.htm
>> > View this thread:
>> > http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1135721.htm
>> >
>> > http://forums.techarena.in
>> >

> Thank you for responding but can't find anything I can shift to legacy
> or native. I Guess that I don't know how to shift the drive controller.
> All the option I know how to change about my drives just let me enable
> or disable.

Contact the manufacturer of your PC for directions on this.

HTH
-pk