Re-installing Vista x64

weaveribm

Re-installing Vista x64

I want to re-install Vista x64 Home Premium but I can't find a code at
home for installing, I'm not sure if I even had a code as the 64bit
upgrade DVD looks to be a special offer (friends complain I got it very
cheap, quick off the mark I tell them)

I purchased 32bit Vista early after its release and then sent off to
Ireland for the Vista x64 DVD, cost around £10, I saw the offer in the
32bit box

I'm having some problems so wanting to reinstall 64bit Vista but for
the life of me I can't remember whether I need a code to re-install
Vista x64 from just the 64bit DVD, or whether I need to install the
32bit version first and then the 64bit upgrade goes in without needing
another install code

I've got the envelope for the Vista x64 DVD marked-

WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREM
64-BITENGLISH SUP DIRECT DVD (sic)
FULFILLMENT

66I-00565 03.02.2007
ORIGIN: IRELAND SE903580

Thanks for any help

Peter

--
weaveribm
kword88

Re: Re-installing Vista x64

i may have had too much coffee, but i think you can just install from
the upgrade cd, and when it asks for a qualifying product, you just
insert the cd for the full version. if that doesnt work, then you have
to install the full version first.

--
kword88
weaveribm

Re: Re-installing Vista x64

That's very kind of you thanks kword88, this explains why I can't find a
code for the x64 DVD then. Phew

I hope that I can remove my dual-boot to XP too while I'm at it. I've
been too nervous to mess with boot managers all this time

Peter

--
weaveribm
Curious

Re: Re-installing Vista x64
There is not a different upgrade installation DVD and full system
installation DVD. What is different is the product key and you cannot
install a full system with an upgrade DVD.
Also for each version of Vista the same product key is the same for the 32
bit installation DVD and for the 64 bit installation DVD
That is why when you buy a retail version of Vista Ultimate you get both the
32 an 64 bit DVDs in the box and you get one product key.

"kword88" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> i may have had too much coffee, but i think you can just install from
> the upgrade cd, and when it asks for a qualifying product, you just
> insert the cd for the full version. if that doesnt work, then you have
> to install the full version first.
>

> --
> kword88

Mick Murphy

Re: Re-installing Vista x64
You can not upgrade 32bit to 64bit.
It has to be a clean install.
If the Vista 32bit version is a Retail version, and you obtained the 64 bit
version from the same place, it "should" be the same Product Key to be used
for both installations.
--
Mad Mike

"weaveribm" wrote:

> That's very kind of you thanks kword88, this explains why I can't find a
> code for the x64 DVD then. Phew
>
> I hope that I can remove my dual-boot to XP too while I'm at it. I've
> been too nervous to mess with boot managers all this time
>
> Peter
>

> --
> weaveribm

weaveribm

Re: Re-installing Vista x64

Yep kw, Microsoft support indeed confirmed that my x86 key works also
for the x64 upgrade thanks. A fresh install of Vista x64 is now working
fine but- not to spam threads-

After the x64 re-install I want to finally delete the XP (was
dual-boot) partition and add that disk space to my Vista install

I've searched and found lots of reference how-to's for deleting the (in
my case) D:\ volume but that volume/partition has the Active label (shot
below) and Disk Management won't allow me to delete an active/primary
partition. The D:\ partition there is the XP partition. I just want to
get rid of the partition (that I used to install dual-boot Vista/XP) and
have just a C:\ drive with Vista x64 installed

If I can delete that volume/partition after taking advice, how would I
expand Vista's beachhead to include the whole drive on just one
partition please?

I used EasyBCD 1.7.2 to skip the boot options XP/Vista

Tools I have: Partition Magic but it doesn't work on my install, small
price to pay for XP-to-Vista; I have Acronis 10 and a Universal Boot CD

Being cautious and asking for help before getting in too deep on going
commando

Any advice on how to do this would be very welcome please, FAQs aren't
helping

Peter

[image:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...partition.jpg]

--
weaveribm
weaveribm

Re: Re-installing Vista x64

Ahah (I've got the non-functional-under-x64 PM version 8)

'Paragon Partition Manager – resize partitions, partitioning
software' (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/)

*"Updated!* Improved Windows Vista support, including 64-bit editions"

--
weaveribm