backing up to install help?

brcarter479

backing up to install help?

i'm sure i am going to get lots of "use the search feature" but i tried
and couldn't find the specific answer i'm looking for. So here it goes

I've used XP since release and was dead set against vista when i saw
its requirements, well after playing with it on computers worse than my
own, and seeing more and more features for it as well as better
compatibility I've decided to upgrade to ultimate.
i dont own an external hard drive(i know its strange i just never
bought one) and cannot afford one at this time, but later this evening I
am planning to install my copy of ultimate 32-bit but i'm pretty good
with partitions.
my question is this

if i created a partition for my copy of world of warcraft and my music
files (the only things im worried about losing everything else is easily
replaced or completely useless to me) would vista recognize the
partition and allow me to copy it over to my vista partition? i'm
mostly concerned with the fact that vista may not recognize the second
partition as a legitimate drive even though xp isnt installed on it.

would that work in lieu of an external drive?

--
brcarter479
peter

Re: backing up to install help?
You cannot just copy a program over to another partition and copy back it
will not work.
WoW would need a new installation if you are formatting your drive during
the Vista installation.
Music files can be copied/moved to a different partition and Media Player
will find them after the Vista Installation.
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"brcarter479" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> i'm sure i am going to get lots of "use the search feature" but i tried
> and couldn't find the specific answer i'm looking for. So here it goes
>
> I've used XP since release and was dead set against vista when i saw
> its requirements, well after playing with it on computers worse than my
> own, and seeing more and more features for it as well as better
> compatibility I've decided to upgrade to ultimate.
> i dont own an external hard drive(i know its strange i just never
> bought one) and cannot afford one at this time, but later this evening I
> am planning to install my copy of ultimate 32-bit but i'm pretty good
> with partitions.
> my question is this
>
> if i created a partition for my copy of world of warcraft and my music
> files (the only things im worried about losing everything else is easily
> replaced or completely useless to me) would vista recognize the
> partition and allow me to copy it over to my vista partition? i'm
> mostly concerned with the fact that vista may not recognize the second
> partition as a legitimate drive even though xp isnt installed on it.
>
> would that work in lieu of an external drive?
>

> --
> brcarter479

brcarter479

Re: backing up to install help?

well fortunately you're incorrect
i was able to partition my drive
copy my program folder for world of warcraft to the partition
then copy it back over to the vista partition and didnt even have to
run the repair
it worked the second i dropped it over
i dont know where you're getting this idea that you cannot copy files
from partition to partition its the same way you copy from folder to
folder.

but thank you for your response

mostly my question was to see if it would recognize the partition

and it did.

--
brcarter479