lost folders

breeze@nym.alias.net

lost folders
my daughter has a notebook which crashed today when i tried to install
alcohol120% on it
the error message said windows was closing down to save the computer
from damage

daughter was not impressed with her dad so i left her to reboot

she was even less impressed when she restarted because it seems to be
reset to its configuration when new....all her preferences programs
and data are gone

any help appreciated

breeze
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: lost folders
Please elaborate on your phrase "so i left her to reboot".
What exactly took place?

<breeze@nym.alias.net> wrote in message news:7uslq4di3mblkeb3ajjgkj9bk2egsuu6nf@4ax.com...
my daughter has a notebook which crashed today when i tried to install
alcohol120% on it
the error message said windows was closing down to save the computer
from damage

daughter was not impressed with her dad so i left her to reboot

she was even less impressed when she restarted because it seems to be
reset to its configuration when new....all her preferences programs
and data are gone

any help appreciated

breeze
philo

Re: lost folders

<breeze@nym.alias.net> wrote in message
> my daughter has a notebook which crashed today when i tried to install
> alcohol120% on it
> the error message said windows was closing down to save the computer
> from damage
>
> daughter was not impressed with her dad so i left her to reboot
>
> she was even less impressed when she restarted because it seems to be
> reset to its configuration when new....all her preferences programs
> and data are gone
>
> any help appreciated
>
> breeze

Though you said your daugter rebooted the computer...

I think what you meant to say was she reinstalled Windows
by using the factory restore fucntion???

If that's wahat you meant, then all the data are gone.

If she simply rebooted the computer...all the data is still there...
but she may simply have logged on to the wrong profile.

If you want to get the proper help you will need to state *exactly* what
happened.

breeze@nym.alias.net

Re: lost folders
On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:07:50 -0600, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Please elaborate on your phrase "so i left her to reboot".
>What exactly took place?

in her own words

The computer crashed & restarted. As it was restarting a blue screen
appeared explaning that windows had experienced a "fatal error". Once
this screen was cleared another came up saying that windows needed be
"resomethinged" and 25 minutes later tall the files had gone !! =D
Very vague but it's the best I can do.

she means that it took 25 mins for windows to restart

breeze
Leroy

Re: lost folders
Well, it appears "she" went into the PC manufacturer's recovery mode
that likely reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the Windows
operating system to its original factory condition. Not much chance of
recovering files from a hard drive that was reformatted.

However, you might try using the following program:

Undelete 2009:
http://www.undelete.com/landing/UDLanding.aspx

breeze@nym.alias.net wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:07:50 -0600, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please elaborate on your phrase "so i left her to reboot".
>> What exactly took place?
>>

> in her own words
>

> The computer crashed & restarted. As it was restarting a blue screen
> appeared explaning that windows had experienced a "fatal error". Once
> this screen was cleared another came up saying that windows needed be
> "resomethinged" and 25 minutes later tall the files had gone !! =D
> Very vague but it's the best I can do.
>
> she means that it took 25 mins for windows to restart
>

> breeze

Mick Murphy

Re: lost folders
I think it would be "Repair" that she saw.
That will often show up at the top of Startup options(Safe Mode, etc) when
there has been a fatal error.
If you do that it takes it back to factory standard.

--
Mad Mike

"breeze@nym.alias.net" wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:07:50 -0600, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Please elaborate on your phrase "so i left her to reboot".
> >What exactly took place?
> >

> in her own words
>

> The computer crashed & restarted. As it was restarting a blue screen
> appeared explaning that windows had experienced a "fatal error". Once
> this screen was cleared another came up saying that windows needed be
> "resomethinged" and 25 minutes later tall the files had gone !! =D
> Very vague but it's the best I can do.
>
> she means that it took 25 mins for windows to restart
>

> breeze

breeze@nym.alias.net

Re: lost folders
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 03:54:00 -0800, Mick Murphy
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I think it would be "Repair" that she saw.
>That will often show up at the top of Startup options(Safe Mode, etc) when
>there has been a fatal error.
>If you do that it takes it back to factory standard.

thanks to all who replied

backup's the wordup

breeze