install 64 bit to replace 32 bit

Billy

install 64 bit to replace 32 bit
A year and half ago microsoft had sent me two discs of vista ultimate 32 bit
and 64 bit with one product key. I have been using the 32 bit but now I want
to make a change due to harddisk space. Is there going to be a problem with
microsoft in installing the 64 bit?

Thanks

Don

Re: install 64 bit to replace 32 bit

"Billy" <nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> A year and half ago microsoft had sent me two discs of vista ultimate 32
> bit
> and 64 bit with one product key. I have been using the 32 bit but now I
> want
> to make a change due to harddisk space. Is there going to be a problem
> with
> microsoft in installing the 64 bit?
>
> Thanks

Nope.

Make sure:
64 bit Vista drivers are available for all your hardware.
Your essential programs will run in 64 bit Vista ( most will, it does a very
good job of running 32 bit programs - will not run older 16 bit programs).
Usually a quick Google search will let you know.

You will have to do a clean install, cannot do an in place upgrade over 32
bit Vista.

When you activate, you may be prompted to call in for activation which
should go without a hitch, just explain you are replacing your 32 bit with
64 bit Vista.

--
Don

Bruce Chambers

Billy wrote:
> A year and half ago microsoft had sent me two discs of vista ultimate 32
> bit
> and 64 bit with one product key. I have been using the 32 bit but now I
> want
> to make a change due to harddisk space. Is there going to be a problem with
> microsoft in installing the 64 bit?
>
> Thanks

There'll be no problem from Microsoft.

However, I can't imagine how you'd expect this action to save you any
hard drive space, when, in fact, the results may be just the opposite.
For instance, the 64-bit OS has to maintain parallel "Programs" folders
for 64-bit and 32-bit applications, there will be both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions of Internet Explorer installed to maintain compatibility, etc.

Additionally, before making the change, take some time to verify that
all of the applications you use will work on the 64-bit OS; most will,
but check with the manufacturer of each to be sure. Even more
importantly, before proceeding, verify with the manufacturers of your
computer and all of your peripherals that 64-bit device drivers are
available to support all of your hardware devices.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.