install

pkmsigns

install

I have vista home premium, supplied with machine on a HP pavillion a642.

its OK but I cannot network with my 3 other computers all running XP
pro.

is this down to incompatability, too lower version of vista or
something else?

I would look at upgrading to business or ultimate BUT can these be
loaded on top of the home version & just over write it or will I have o
format the HDD & reinstall everything?

--
pkmsigns
Malke

Re: install
pkmsigns wrote:

> I have vista home premium, supplied with machine on a HP pavillion a642.
>
> its OK but I cannot network with my 3 other computers all running XP
> pro.
>
> is this down to incompatability, too lower version of vista or
> something else?

No, it's down to you not doing it right. ;-) There is no need to spend the
money to upgrade. You just need to set up your network correctly. Since you
didn't tell us what happens when you try, I'll give you my full networking
troubleshooter below.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Bruce Chambers

Re: install
pkmsigns wrote:
> I have vista home premium, supplied with machine on a HP pavillion a642.
>
> its OK but I cannot network with my 3 other computers all running XP
> pro.
>
> is this down to incompatability, too lower version of vista or
> something else?

It has to be something else; something in your configuration. There is
no fundamentally incompatibility between WinXP and Vista, as regards to
networking. Of course, without much greater details, there's no way to
determine precisely what you've left misconfigured.

> I would look at upgrading to business or ultimate BUT can these be
> loaded on top of the home version & just over write it or will I have o
> format the HDD & reinstall everything?

You could perform an in-place upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista
Ultimate, but you'd need to perform a clean installation to switch to
Vista Business. However, there's absolutely no need to upgrade, if your
only concern is networking with the WinXP PCs.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Mick Murphy

RE: install
Thisis how I network XP Pro and Vista home Premium:

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mad Mike

"pkmsigns" wrote:

> I have vista home premium, supplied with machine on a HP pavillion a642.
>
> its OK but I cannot network with my 3 other computers all running XP
> pro.
>
> is this down to incompatability, too lower version of vista or
> something else?
>
> I would look at upgrading to business or ultimate BUT can these be
> loaded on top of the home version & just over write it or will I have o
> format the HDD & reinstall everything?
>

> --
> pkmsigns

pkmsigns

Re: install

thanks I'll give it all a try

cheers

PKM

--
pkmsigns
Rick Rogers

Re: install
Hi,

Open the Network and Sharing center in the Control Panel, enable network
discovery.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/