Vista Ultimate 64 install error at final install step

cheenulee

Vista Ultimate 64 install error at final install step

Hi All

This has been driving me crazy for the past couple of days. I have a
Dell XPS630i that came with Vista Home Premium 64 installed. I have a
retail version of Ultimate 64 upgrade that I am trying to upgrade to.
first, the upgrade program forces me to do a clean install. at the very
very last step of the install, I get 0x0000007E error every time. I
have read a bunch of psts and can't figure out what is going on. Any
help would be much appreciated!

Jim

--
cheenulee
R. C. White

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 install error at final install step
Hi, cheenulee.

The first stop for researching Stop Codes is
http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

For Stop 0x7E, that website's introductory paragraph says:
<paste>
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not
catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including
hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some
software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional
information.
</paste>

There are several possibilities listed; they point mostly to driver or BIOS
problems. The hex codes shown on the blue screen should help narrow down
your search. Post those here and someone will probably be able to point you
in the right direction.

Please clarify something for us. You said:
> Dell XPS630i that came with Vista Home Premium 64 installed. I have a
> retail version of Ultimate 64 upgrade that I am trying to upgrade to.

My understanding is that this is a fully-supported upgrade path. But then
you said:

> first, the upgrade program forces me to do a clean install.

That does NOT sound right. HOW are you trying to upgrade? Are you booting
from the Ultimate DVD to run Setup? Or are you running Setup from the DVD
while booted into Vista Home Premium? Are you trying to actually "upgrade"
your existing Vista into the same location? Or are you trying to install
Ultimate into a different location?

Are any other operating systems (including other Vista installations) on
your computer?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"cheenulee" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi All
>
> This has been driving me crazy for the past couple of days. I have a
> Dell XPS630i that came with Vista Home Premium 64 installed. I have a
> retail version of Ultimate 64 upgrade that I am trying to upgrade to.
> first, the upgrade program forces me to do a clean install. at the very
> very last step of the install, I get 0x0000007E error every time. I
> have read a bunch of psts and can't figure out what is going on. Any
> help would be much appreciated!
>
> Jim
>

> --
> cheenulee

kword88

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 install error at final install step

if you must do a clean install, have you reformatted C: with NTFS? and
are you absolutely certain the CD is genuine? most of the info i found
suggests the CD is an image made on an intel machine, and you are
installing on an amd machine (or vice-versa) it has something to do with
a left over registry key tricking the installation process into loading
the wrong cpu driver. i think you will have to edit the registry

--
kword88
cheenulee

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 install error at final install step

well, I found out the problem. its the nvidia motherboard more than 2
gigs ram issue. i should have checked that FIRST. duh. up and running
now.

--
cheenulee