Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrading Error

=?Utf-8?B?TmVwdHVuZQ==?=

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrading Error
Ive tried installing Windows Vista Ultimate 4 times now and each time I would
recieve an error stating "Windows cannot complete an error has occured during
the install process" and then does a windows rollback to my previous OS.
Everything looks fine until the very end of the Windows Vista installation
and this happens, giving me no error code, but the previous statement above.
I dont want to take the time to backup all my files and do a clean
installation when an upgrade should work just fine. Windows Vista Advisor
says I can run Vista just fine giving me the premium option, but since I
wanted the best I chose ultimate knowing I have the system specs for it. My
computer spec is listed below, any help would be appreciated.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
3.39 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Microsoft Window XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX Graphics Cards
Tim Rogers

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrading Error

"Neptune" <Neptune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ive tried installing Windows Vista Ultimate 4 times now and each time I
> would
> recieve an error stating "Windows cannot complete an error has occured
> during
> the install process" and then does a windows rollback to my previous OS.
> Everything looks fine until the very end of the Windows Vista installation
> and this happens, giving me no error code, but the previous statement
> above.
> I dont want to take the time to backup all my files and do a clean
> installation when an upgrade should work just fine. Windows Vista Advisor
> says I can run Vista just fine giving me the premium option, but since I
> wanted the best I chose ultimate knowing I have the system specs for it.
> My
> computer spec is listed below, any help would be appreciated.
>
> Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
> 3.39 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
> Microsoft Window XP
> Media Center Edition
> Version 2002
> Service Pack 2
> NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX Graphics Cards

A very similar situation to the the one I have have although trying to
upgrade to Windows Vista Premium. Have decided to stick with XP (which has
had no problems!)

Tim

Chad Harris

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrading Error
Hey Neptune--

I'm sure you've meticulously cleaned the upgrade DVD.

I'm sorry you're having upgrade problems, frustrated by no explicit,
specific error message. I don't think you can use Event Viewer to pull the
error, but you might try the XP Event Viewer and see if (eventvwr.msc in
run box>click on application).

A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
Windows Vista but since you have no error messages, I'm not sure if they
can give you as much help as they would if you had them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930743/en-us

Log files that are created when you upgrade to Windows Vista from an earlier
version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928901/en-us

The following log files are created when an upgrade is successful:•
C:\Windows\Panther\Setupact.log
• C:\Windows\panther\setuperr.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
installation before the computer restarts for the second time:•
C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\Windows\setupapi.log
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
installation after the computer restarts for the second time:•
C:\Windows\panther\setupact.log
• C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\memory.dmp
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails, and then you
restore the desktop:• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. dev.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. app.log
• C:\Windows\memory.dmp

Windows Vista setup log file locations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521/en-us

Good luck,