Damaged installation DVD

Peter

Damaged installation DVD
The outer edge of my Vista Business DVD has some scratches which I have
not been able to repair so far. However, when I look at the contents of the
DVD, I see the following folders and files which I have copied to my hard
drive:
Boot (folder)
Efi (folder)
Sources (folder)
Support (folder)
Upgrade (folder)
Autorun.inf
Bootmgr
Setup.exe

Assuming these are all of the original contents of the DVD, how can I use
them to make a new, bootable installation disk?

Peter

Mick Murphy

RE: Damaged installation DVD
Have you tried booting with the disk to see if it still works?
If it does, use 3rd party burning Software to "Copy entire Disk"
--
Mad Mike

"Peter" wrote:

> The outer edge of my Vista Business DVD has some scratches which I have
> not been able to repair so far. However, when I look at the contents of the
> DVD, I see the following folders and files which I have copied to my hard
> drive:
> Boot (folder)
> Efi (folder)
> Sources (folder)
> Support (folder)
> Upgrade (folder)
> Autorun.inf
> Bootmgr
> Setup.exe
>
> Assuming these are all of the original contents of the DVD, how can I use
> them to make a new, bootable installation disk?
>
> Peter

David B.

Re: Damaged installation DVD
No, just burning those files to disc will not result in a bootable DVD, have
you tried making a DVD to DVD copy, it seems if you can copy the data from
the disc, you should be able to make a copy.

"Peter " <peter@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> The outer edge of my Vista Business DVD has some scratches which I have
> not been able to repair so far. However, when I look at the contents of
> the DVD, I see the following folders and files which I have copied to my
> hard drive:
> Boot (folder)
> Efi (folder)
> Sources (folder)
> Support (folder)
> Upgrade (folder)
> Autorun.inf
> Bootmgr
> Setup.exe
>
> Assuming these are all of the original contents of the DVD, how can I use
> them to make a new, bootable installation disk?
>
> Peter

Peter

Re: Damaged installation DVD
Thanks David.

I am unable to make a DVD to DVD copy. The process stops with a few seconds
to go as the (perhaps empty) damaged section is reached. I've tried just
copying it and copying using Roxio Creator 9. Both stall at the end.

Peter

"David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> No, just burning those files to disc will not result in a bootable DVD,
> have you tried making a DVD to DVD copy, it seems if you can copy the data
> from the disc, you should be able to make a copy.

> "Peter " <peter@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> The outer edge of my Vista Business DVD has some scratches which I
>> have not been able to repair so far. However, when I look at the
>> contents of the DVD, I see the following folders and files which I have
>> copied to my hard drive:
>> Boot (folder)
>> Efi (folder)
>> Sources (folder)
>> Support (folder)
>> Upgrade (folder)
>> Autorun.inf
>> Bootmgr
>> Setup.exe
>>
>> Assuming these are all of the original contents of the DVD, how can I use
>> them to make a new, bootable installation disk?
>>
>> Peter

Curious

Re: Damaged installation DVD
Peter,
What happens if you run setup.exe instead of trying to boot from the DVD?

> Have you tried booting with the disk to see if it still works?
> If it does, use 3rd party burning Software to "Copy entire Disk"
> --
> Mad Mike
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> The outer edge of my Vista Business DVD has some scratches which I
>> have
>> not been able to repair so far. However, when I look at the contents of
>> the
>> DVD, I see the following folders and files which I have copied to my hard
>> drive:
>> Boot (folder)
>> Efi (folder)
>> Sources (folder)
>> Support (folder)
>> Upgrade (folder)
>> Autorun.inf
>> Bootmgr
>> Setup.exe
>>
>> Assuming these are all of the original contents of the DVD, how can I use
>> them to make a new, bootable installation disk?
>>
>> Peter

Peter

Re: Damaged installation DVD
I can boot with the damaged disk and I can run setup.exe as well. I have no
idea whether or not I can run through the entire install cycle. What I want
to do, and should have done long ago, is to make a backup copy of the DVD to
avoid losing the functionality of the disk entirely. So far all attempts to
copy the disk have failed during the last few seconds (although I can copy
the individual folders and files from the DVD). I have tried various
scratch "repair" methods but without success.

Peter

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Peter,
> What happens if you run setup.exe instead of trying to boot from the DVD?
>
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried booting with the disk to see if it still works?
>> If it does, use 3rd party burning Software to "Copy entire Disk"
>> --
>> Mad Mike
>>

>> "Peter" wrote:
>>
>>> The outer edge of my Vista Business DVD has some scratches which I
>>> have
>>> not been able to repair so far. However, when I look at the contents of
>>> the
>>> DVD, I see the following folders and files which I have copied to my
>>> hard
>>> drive:
>>> Boot (folder)
>>> Efi (folder)
>>> Sources (folder)
>>> Support (folder)
>>> Upgrade (folder)
>>> Autorun.inf
>>> Bootmgr
>>> Setup.exe
>>>
>>> Assuming these are all of the original contents of the DVD, how can I
>>> use
>>> them to make a new, bootable installation disk?
>>>
>>> Peter

Mick Murphy

Re: Damaged installation DVD
You need Nero, Ashampoo, etc Burning Program.
They have an option: "Copy Entire Disk"
you can do it with only 1 DVD drive.
--
Mad Mike

"Peter" wrote:

> Thanks David.
>
> I am unable to make a DVD to DVD copy. The process stops with a few seconds
> to go as the (perhaps empty) damaged section is reached. I've tried just
> copying it and copying using Roxio Creator 9. Both stall at the end.
>
> Peter
>

> "David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> > No, just burning those files to disc will not result in a bootable DVD,
> > have you tried making a DVD to DVD copy, it seems if you can copy the data
> > from the disc, you should be able to make a copy.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> > How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >

> > "Peter " <peter@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> The outer edge of my Vista Business DVD has some scratches which I
> >> have not been able to repair so far. However, when I look at the
> >> contents of the DVD, I see the following folders and files which I have
> >> copied to my hard drive:
> >> Boot (folder)
> >> Efi (folder)
> >> Sources (folder)
> >> Support (folder)
> >> Upgrade (folder)
> >> Autorun.inf
> >> Bootmgr
> >> Setup.exe
> >>
> >> Assuming these are all of the original contents of the DVD, how can I use
> >> them to make a new, bootable installation disk?
> >>
> >> Peter

Malke

Peter wrote:

> I can boot with the damaged disk and I can run setup.exe as well. I have
> no
> idea whether or not I can run through the entire install cycle. What I
> want to do, and should have done long ago, is to make a backup copy of the
> DVD to
> avoid losing the functionality of the disk entirely. So far all attempts
> to copy the disk have failed during the last few seconds (although I can
> copy
> the individual folders and files from the DVD). I have tried various
> scratch "repair" methods but without success.

Then just replace the DVD. If this is retail:

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware -
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;326246

Or make a copy of a friend's retail Vista disk to use with your own Product
Key.

If it is a restore disk that you got from an OEM (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.)
contact the OEM for replacement. This is usually very inexpensive.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!