Deploying to 20 laptops

Ally

Deploying to 20 laptops
Hi,

I need to deploy windows vista enterprise to 20 laptops but don't have
anything like configuration manager 2007 to use.

I've read all the tehcnet info on deploying vista but still don;t know how I
can do this.

I want to build one laptop, put all our busines applications onto it etc and
then copy that single image to another 20 laptops (all same laptop model) and
join to our domain.

Can anyone advise the cheapest, simplest and quickest way I can do this?

Thanking you.
Malke

Re: Deploying to 20 laptops
Ally wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to deploy windows vista enterprise to 20 laptops but don't have
> anything like configuration manager 2007 to use.
>
> I've read all the tehcnet info on deploying vista but still don;t know how
> I can do this.
>
> I want to build one laptop, put all our busines applications onto it etc
> and then copy that single image to another 20 laptops (all same laptop
> model) and join to our domain.
>
> Can anyone advise the cheapest, simplest and quickest way I can do this?

Acronis True Image Echo Workstation or Acronis True Image Echo Server,
depending on where you want to install the program. Keep your image(s) on
the server and apply the image over the network. The number of machines you
can image at one time depends on your bandwidth.

http://www.acronis.com

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Ally

Re: Deploying to 20 laptops
What would be the process?

"Malke" wrote:

> Ally wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to deploy windows vista enterprise to 20 laptops but don't have
> > anything like configuration manager 2007 to use.
> >
> > I've read all the tehcnet info on deploying vista but still don;t know how
> > I can do this.
> >
> > I want to build one laptop, put all our busines applications onto it etc
> > and then copy that single image to another 20 laptops (all same laptop
> > model) and join to our domain.
> >
> > Can anyone advise the cheapest, simplest and quickest way I can do this?

> Acronis True Image Echo Workstation or Acronis True Image Echo Server,
> depending on where you want to install the program. Keep your image(s) on
> the server and apply the image over the network. The number of machines you
> can image at one time depends on your bandwidth.
>
> http://www.acronis.com
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

Re: Deploying to 20 laptops
Ally wrote:

> What would be the process?

>> http://www.acronis.com

Here's another one:

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/

I gave you the link so you could read about it. If you've never done any
imaging, it is worth spending the time on the Acronis website. There are
other imaging programs, I just prefer Acronis. Imaging is a gift from The
Tech Goddess.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Ally

Re: Deploying to 20 laptops
What I meant was:

- Install Vista on the computer
- Build the computer as desired installed business app's etc
- Use sysprep
- Copy image of computer using acronis
- Deploy image to remainung computers

is there anything I've missed here?

Ally wrote:

> What I meant was:
>
> - Install Vista on the computer
> - Build the computer as desired installed business app's etc
> - Use sysprep
> - Copy image of computer using acronis
> - Deploy image to remainung computers

You don't need to use sysprep for only 20 computers. Please take the time to
read through how this works at Acronis's website or the website of any
other imaging software you think you'd like. In brief:

1. Create a master machine set up exactly the way you want.

2. Image that machine and save the image on a server.

3. Connect the laptops to the LAN.

4. You can either boot the laptops individually with the imaging program on
a USB stick or do it from the server depending on how you set things up.
Enterprise versions of most imaging software allow you to apply the image
remotely to multiple machines at once and also to image on bare metal with
disparate hardware (Acronis Universal Restore).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Deploying to 20 laptops
Hello Malke,
Syprep is required if you are doing imaging.
The OS is considered unsupported if you image and do not use Sysprep.
All of these machines will be on a domain, it's likely there would be
issues if sysprep is not used.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:

> Hello Malke,
> Syprep is required if you are doing imaging.
> The OS is considered unsupported if you image and do not use Sysprep.
> All of these machines will be on a domain, it's likely there would be
> issues if sysprep is not used.

Thanks for the clarification.

Malke