Fax program for Vista?

Hula Baloo

Fax program for Vista?
What software do folks with Vista use? I had half dozen fax programs,
but none seems to work with Vista Home Premium. I just bought a Zoom
modem w/fax, but the only software that came with it was trialware that
costs $45 after 30 days. I know Symantec dropped Winfax, and I looked
at Tiger Direct and Newegg without finding anything appealing. I
searched download.com and came up with a couple of programs I'd never
heard of that hadn't been downloaded much. I'd love a good simple
freeware program, but if there's a good retail package that most folks
are using, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. TIA
Stevey

Re: Fax program for Vista?
ColorFax Lite at www.blackice.com

Hula Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote:

> What software do folks with Vista use? I had half dozen fax programs,
>but none seems to work with Vista Home Premium. I just bought a Zoom
>modem w/fax, but the only software that came with it was trialware that
>costs $45 after 30 days. I know Symantec dropped Winfax, and I looked
>at Tiger Direct and Newegg without finding anything appealing. I
>searched download.com and came up with a couple of programs I'd never
>heard of that hadn't been downloaded much. I'd love a good simple
>freeware program, but if there's a good retail package that most folks
>are using, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. TIA

Patrick Keenan

AQRe: Fax program for Vista?
"Hula Baloo" <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote in message
> What software do folks with Vista use? I had half dozen fax programs,
> but none seems to work with Vista Home Premium. I just bought a Zoom
> modem w/fax, but the only software that came with it was trialware that
> costs $45 after 30 days. I know Symantec dropped Winfax, and I looked at
> Tiger Direct and Newegg without finding anything appealing. I searched
> download.com and came up with a couple of programs I'd never heard of that
> hadn't been downloaded much. I'd love a good simple freeware program, but
> if there's a good retail package that most folks are using, I'd sure
> appreciate hearing about it. TIA

Symantec stopped developing WinFax nine years ago, in early 2000. There was
a maintenance fix released for XP, but that's it.

You will probably find that you have to try several fax programs, because
how well a fax program works is heavily dependent on how well it interacts
with a given modem, and a specific version or firmware level of a given
modem. Much development and QA effort goes to compatibility issues.
Some combinations just never work.

If you have found one that works with your modem, you may be best off just
paying the money to unlock it. Otherwise you may be spending hours and
hours trying things that may or may not always or ever work.

Another option is to upgrade your Vista Home Premium to Ultimate, as
Ultimate *does* have the fax utility.

HTH
-pk

dev@null.invalid

Re: Fax program for Vista?
/Hula Baloo/ said:
> What software do folks with Vista use? I had half dozen fax programs,
> but none seems to work with Vista Home Premium. I just bought a Zoom
> modem w/fax, but the only software that came with it was trialware that
> costs $45 after 30 days. I know Symantec dropped Winfax, and I looked
> at Tiger Direct and Newegg without finding anything appealing. I
> searched download.com and came up with a couple of programs I'd never
> heard of that hadn't been downloaded much. I'd love a good simple
> freeware program, but if there's a good retail package that most folks
> are using, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. TIA

http://WWW.USR.COM/bvrp/bvrp.asp
http://WWW.BLACKICE.COM/impColorFaxLite.htm (free FAX applications)

Mike Torello

Re: Fax program for Vista?
Hula Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote:

> What software do folks with Vista use? I had half dozen fax programs,
>but none seems to work with Vista Home Premium. I just bought a Zoom
>modem w/fax, but the only software that came with it was trialware that
>costs $45 after 30 days. I know Symantec dropped Winfax, and I looked
>at Tiger Direct and Newegg without finding anything appealing. I
>searched download.com and came up with a couple of programs I'd never
>heard of that hadn't been downloaded much. I'd love a good simple
>freeware program, but if there's a good retail package that most folks
>are using, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. TIA

Snappy Fax. About $20 as I recall. Great program.
Hula Baloo

Re: Fax program for Vista?
dev@null.invalid wrote:
> /Hula Baloo/ said:
>> What software do folks with Vista use? I had half dozen fax programs,
>> but none seems to work with Vista Home Premium. I just bought a Zoom
>> modem w/fax, but the only software that came with it was trialware that
>> costs $45 after 30 days. I know Symantec dropped Winfax, and I looked
>> at Tiger Direct and Newegg without finding anything appealing. I
>> searched download.com and came up with a couple of programs I'd never
>> heard of that hadn't been downloaded much. I'd love a good simple
>> freeware program, but if there's a good retail package that most folks
>> are using, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it. TIA

> http://WWW.USR.COM/bvrp/bvrp.asp
> http://WWW.BLACKICE.COM/impColorFaxLite.htm (free FAX applications)

Thank you, thank you! ColorFax Lite works like a charm. I guess if I
ever need to send 4 faxes at a time, I'll buy the for fee version.
Seeing as I only have one phone line and only average 1 fax every few
months tho, I have every reason to believe the Lite version will handle
all my needs for the forseeable future. :-)