Adjusting desktop icon spacing

Hula Baloo

Adjusting desktop icon spacing
How does one adjust the spacing of icons on the desktop with Vista?
With XP you could right-click the desktop, click appearance, and adjust
this at will, but I can't find anything in the Personalization applet
(or any other applet for that matter) on how to do that. There're
plenty of things to change there, but I can't find the icon spacing
option. Is this another of Microsoft's user unfriendly changes in Vista?
Malke

Re: Adjusting desktop icon spacing
Hula Baloo wrote:

> How does one adjust the spacing of icons on the desktop with Vista?
> With XP you could right-click the desktop, click appearance, and adjust
> this at will, but I can't find anything in the Personalization applet
> (or any other applet for that matter) on how to do that. There're
> plenty of things to change there, but I can't find the icon spacing
> option. Is this another of Microsoft's user unfriendly changes in Vista?

No, it's there in basically the same place as it is in XP.

Control Panel>Personalize>Windows Color & Appearance>Classic
Appearance>Advanced Appearance.

This link has a picture (scroll down past the size bit and you'll find the
spacing picture):
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r202...ktop-Icon-Size

BTW, I found this by Googling "adjust icon spacing Vista" if you want any
other links.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Aaron

Re: Adjusting desktop icon spacing
> How does one adjust the spacing of icons on the desktop with Vista?
> With XP you could right-click the desktop, click appearance, and adjust
> this at will, but I can't find anything in the Personalization applet
> (or any other applet for that matter) on how to do that. There're
> plenty of things to change there, but I can't find the icon spacing
> option. Is this another of Microsoft's user unfriendly changes in Vista?

I'm using Vista Home Premium:

Right click on the Desktop
Choose 'Personalize'
Choose 'Window Color and Appearance'
Choose 'Open classic appearance properties for more color options'
Click on 'Advanced...' button
From the 'Item:' dropdown box pick 'Icon Spacing (Horizontal)'
or 'Icon Spacing (Vertical)'

I do not know if it makes a difference, but I also use the
'Classic Start menu' for my Start Menu.
--

I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.
Hula Baloo

Malke wrote:
> Hula Baloo wrote:
>
>> How does one adjust the spacing of icons on the desktop with Vista?
>> With XP you could right-click the desktop, click appearance, and adjust
>> this at will, but I can't find anything in the Personalization applet
>> (or any other applet for that matter) on how to do that. There're
>> plenty of things to change there, but I can't find the icon spacing
>> option. Is this another of Microsoft's user unfriendly changes in Vista?

> No, it's there in basically the same place as it is in XP.
>
> Control Panel>Personalize>Windows Color & Appearance>Classic
> Appearance>Advanced Appearance.
>
> This link has a picture (scroll down past the size bit and you'll find the
> spacing picture):
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r202...ktop-Icon-Size
>
> BTW, I found this by Googling "adjust icon spacing Vista" if you want any
> other links.
>
> Malke

Thanks Malke. I don't know how I missed it!