Install vista onto a netbook

jamesandjd

Install vista onto a netbook

I'm trying to install windows vista onto my net book but every time I
try to, it tells me that it can't update the boot configuration of the
computer and stops the installation.
Does anyone know what I should do to install it :huh:

--
jamesandjd
philo

Re: Install vista onto a netbook

"jamesandjd" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to install windows vista onto my net book but every time I
> try to, it tells me that it can't update the boot configuration of the
> computer and stops the installation.
> Does anyone know what I should do to install it :huh:

Look in the bios and disable virus protection
if that option is enabled.

(If that does the trick, you can re-enable it after the install is complete)

semoi

Re: Install vista onto a netbook
Are you saying that the BIOS of your netbook does not allow you to choose
the optical drive as the start-up drive?
The reason most netbooks run XP is that even Vista basic is such a
performance draining vampire of an OS that the netbook will just seem too
slow for most users' patience.
Life is full of choices . . .

Malke

jamesandjd wrote:

> I'm trying to install windows vista onto my net book but every time I
> try to, it tells me that it can't update the boot configuration of the
> computer and stops the installation.
> Does anyone know what I should do to install it :huh:

Frankly, I wouldn't install Vista on a netbook. Vista is too much of a
resource hog. There have been reports of the Win7 beta running well on
netbooks. You might want to just wait awhile. The Win7 betas have run well
on my testbed box (desktop, not a netbook) that Vista was slow on.

That said, the best place to get information about installing an operating
system other than what came with the netbook is on user forums for your
specific make/model netbook, as well as on more general netbook forums.
Here are a few links for the latter. You'll have to Google around yourself
for the former.

http://www.liliputing.com/
http://www.umpcportal.com/

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Chuck

Re: Install vista onto a netbook
Some of the netbooks have a BIOS update to improve compatability with Vista.
I have not done so with the Acer netbook that I have, because there is a
high failure rate of the BIOS update, due to hardware changes that are not
identified properly by the -number or the flash program.
My son has the same model netbook with a different -number that (by test)
will run Vista.