Limiting the size of the System Restore files w/Vista

Hula Baloo

Limiting the size of the System Restore files w/Vista
System Restore images are eating my HD space alive! With XP it was
easy to limit the percentage of HD space it could gobble up, but with
Vista Home Premium I can't seem to find where to change it. Has MS in
it's wisdom taken that control away from us or have they just hidden it
somewhere new? If the later, somebody please clue me in as to where.
I've got less "stuff" on my new Vista Home Premium PC than my older
XP PC yet Vista has gobbled up 75 gig for what I'm doing on my XP
machine in 24 gig. I know Vista is bigger to start with, but when I
installed 3 gig worth of apps, I suddenly ended up with 24 gig less C:
drive space!
John Inzer

Re: Limiting the size of the System Restore files w/Vista
Hula Baloo wrote:
> System Restore images are eating my HD space alive! With XP it was
> easy to limit the percentage of HD space it could gobble up, but with
> Vista Home Premium I can't seem to find where to change it. Has MS in
> it's wisdom taken that control away from us or have they just hidden
> it somewhere new? If the later, somebody please clue me in as to
> where. I've got less "stuff" on my new Vista Home Premium PC than
> my older XP PC yet Vista has gobbled up 75 gig for what I'm doing on my
> XP
> machine in 24 gig. I know Vista is bigger to start with, but when I
> installed 3 gig worth of apps, I suddenly ended up with 24 gig less C:
> drive space!

=======================================
Maybe the following articles will help:

Windows Vista - How much disk
space does System Restore require
http://tinyurl.com/27k795
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b9e001033.mspx

Decrease Storage Space
Allocated To System Restore
http://tinyurl.com/2f4ga9
or...
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm

Reduce System Restore's
Disk Usage in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/3azp82
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...sage-in-vista/

Windows Vista -
System Restore:
frequently asked questions
http://tinyurl.com/u6z5p
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb3f01033.mspx

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

John Barnett MVP

Re: Limiting the size of the System Restore files w/Vista
Take a look at this link from my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> Take a look at this link from my website:
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm

Perfect. Many thanks to both you and John Inzer for a quick precise
answer to exactly what I needed to know.
Now I just have to add an editorial comment. Why in the @#$%^& does
MS do this kind of crap? This is just one more reason why Vista has two
black eyes. It's really not a bad OS, but things like this have simply
alienated the vast majority of PC users. Every time I hear Vista
mentioned, everybody has commentes like "I've heard Vista is REALLY
bad". Boy oh boy have they ever done it to themselves. Let's hope they
can get it back together with Win 7!
John Barnett MVP

Re: Limiting the size of the System Restore files w/Vista
You're Welcome.

I must say, though, regarding System restore space, nothing has radically
changed in Windows 7 so that is one area of Windows 7 you are going to be
disappointed with.

--

> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> Take a look at this link from my website:
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm

> Perfect. Many thanks to both you and John Inzer for a quick precise
> answer to exactly what I needed to know.
> Now I just have to add an editorial comment. Why in the @#$%^& does MS
> do this kind of crap? This is just one more reason why Vista has two
> black eyes. It's really not a bad OS, but things like this have simply
> alienated the vast majority of PC users. Every time I hear Vista
> mentioned, everybody has commentes like "I've heard Vista is REALLY bad".
> Boy oh boy have they ever done it to themselves. Let's hope they can get
> it back together with Win 7!

Mike Torello

Re: Limiting the size of the System Restore files w/Vista
Hula Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote:

> Now I just have to add an editorial comment. Why in the @#$%^& does
>MS do this kind of crap? This is just one more reason why Vista has two
>black eyes. It's really not a bad OS, but things like this have simply
>alienated the vast majority of PC users.

The "vast majority" of Vista users aren't amateur geeks like you are.

They do email and surf the web, and most of them probably don't even
know what Windows Update is.
Hula Baloo

Mike Torello wrote:
> Hula Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote:
>
>> Now I just have to add an editorial comment. Why in the @#$%^& does
>> MS do this kind of crap? This is just one more reason why Vista has two
>> black eyes. It's really not a bad OS, but things like this have simply
>> alienated the vast majority of PC users.

> The "vast majority" of Vista users aren't amateur geeks like you are.
>
> They do email and surf the web, and most of them probably don't even
> know what Windows Update is.

Heh, amateur geek is close, but old fart retiree geek would be more
accurate. I spent over 30 years as a programmer, systems programmer,
systems engineer, software architect, and am now teaching computer
courses at the local senior centers. I'm tempted to say the "average
user" knows when his disk space is being gobbled up, but unfortunately
most users have no clue until they run out of space. However they get
their perspective on the likes of Vista from folks like you and me who
see so many things MS changed for no apparent reason. Oh well, they
didn't ask my opinion before they did it, and I bet the same is true for
you. :-(
Charles W Davis

> Mike Torello wrote:
>> Hula Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Now I just have to add an editorial comment. Why in the @#$%^& does
>>> MS do this kind of crap? This is just one more reason why Vista has two
>>> black eyes. It's really not a bad OS, but things like this have simply
>>> alienated the vast majority of PC users.

>> The "vast majority" of Vista users aren't amateur geeks like you are.
>>
>> They do email and surf the web, and most of them probably don't even
>> know what Windows Update is.

> Heh, amateur geek is close, but old fart retiree geek would be more
> accurate. I spent over 30 years as a programmer, systems programmer,
> systems engineer, software architect, and am now teaching computer courses
> at the local senior centers. I'm tempted to say the "average user" knows
> when his disk space is being gobbled up, but unfortunately most users have
> no clue until they run out of space. However they get their perspective on
> the likes of Vista from folks like you and me who see so many things MS
> changed for no apparent reason. Oh well, they didn't ask my opinion
> before they did it, and I bet the same is true for you. :-(

I have approximately the same background as you. However, I learned many
years ago to buy a PC with the maximum capacity in RAM and as large a hard
drive as is offered. I would rather spend a few dollars than spend many
hours of concern about saving/recovering space. That way, I have no concern
about what MS may have done whether for a good reason or for no good reason.

I to teach at our Computer Club. I also spend many hours each week,
assisting our Comuter Club members with recovering hard drive space.
Usually, a second drive really solves the problem. I have also added over
eigh**** 521MB memory sticks in the past several months since Service Pack 3
hit the mainstream. All of those computers have seen new life with extremely
happy users (again).

Mike Torello

Re: Limiting the size of the System Restore files w/Vista
Hula Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote:

>Mike Torello wrote:
>> Hula Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Now I just have to add an editorial comment. Why in the @#$%^& does
>>> MS do this kind of crap? This is just one more reason why Vista has two
>>> black eyes. It's really not a bad OS, but things like this have simply
>>> alienated the vast majority of PC users.

>> The "vast majority" of Vista users aren't amateur geeks like you are.
>>
>> They do email and surf the web, and most of them probably don't even
>> know what Windows Update is.

> Heh, amateur geek is close, but old fart retiree geek would be more
>accurate.

I'm an old fart retiree amateur geek :-)

>I spent over 30 years as a programmer, systems programmer,
>systems engineer, software architect, and am now teaching computer
>courses at the local senior centers. I'm tempted to say the "average
>user" knows when his disk space is being gobbled up, but unfortunately
>most users have no clue until they run out of space. However they get
>their perspective on the likes of Vista from folks like you and me who
>see so many things MS changed for no apparent reason. Oh well, they
>didn't ask my opinion before they did it, and I bet the same is true for
>you. :-(

The older I get, the less people want my opinion on anything ;-(