installaton of Vista upgrade download on new disk

Location: USA
sys-eng is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
installaton of Vista upgrade download on new disk
I just bought Vista Ultimate 32-bit upgrade from Microsoft via download from the Microsoft Ultimate Steal download site for students. I now read that unlike the NT, 2000, and XP upgrades; this upgrade requires the old OS to be installed. I hope that is not the case but trying to find out. Microsoft gave no indication that this download had these issues on the purchase page. I am upgrading my XP Pro system (motherboard, CPU, RAM, and disk drive). I want to take this opportunity to upgrade to Vista.

Can this version of Vista install on a new disk drive or will I have to install XP on that drive just so I can install Vista? I have read that this version of Vista install is not bootable.

If I do have to reinstall XP, does the Vista install delete all the XP files? I hope so.
Randall Flagg

Re: installaton of Vista upgrade download on new disk
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:17:14 +0000, sys-eng
<sys-eng.3ntuc4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>::I just bought Vista Ultimate 32-bit upgrade from Microsoft via
>download from the Microsoft Ultimate Steal download site for students.
>I now read that unlike the NT, 2000, and XP upgrades; this upgrade
>requires the old OS to be installed. I hope that is not the case but
>trying to find out.

It is the case.

However:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

>Microsoft gave no indication that this download had
>these issues on the purchase page. I am upgrading my XP Pro system
>(motherboard, CPU, RAM, and disk drive). I want to take this
>opportunity to upgrade to Vista. ::
>
>::Can this version of Vista install on a new disk drive or will I have
>to install XP on that drive just so I can install Vista? I have read
>that this version of Vista install is not bootable. ::
>
>::If I do have to reinstall XP, does the Vista install delete all the
>XP files? I hope so.::

Location: USA
sys-eng is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: installaton of Vista upgrade download on new disk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:17:14 +0000, sys-eng
<sys-eng.3ntuc4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>::I just bought Vista Ultimate 32-bit upgrade from Microsoft via
>download from the Microsoft Ultimate Steal download site for students.
>I now read that unlike the NT, 2000, and XP upgrades; this upgrade
>requires the old OS to be installed. I hope that is not the case but
>trying to find out.

It is the case.

However:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

>Microsoft gave no indication that this download had
>these issues on the purchase page. I am upgrading my XP Pro system
>(motherboard, CPU, RAM, and disk drive). I want to take this
>opportunity to upgrade to Vista. ::
>
>::Can this version of Vista install on a new disk drive or will I have
>to install XP on that drive just so I can install Vista? I have read
>that this version of Vista install is not bootable. ::
>
>::If I do have to reinstall XP, does the Vista install delete all the
>XP files? I hope so.::
___________________________

Thanks Randall, but did you read my entire post? You can't boot from the downloaded upgrades. The site you referenced says to boot from your upgrade DVD. It won't work. A real pain.
Curious

Re: installation of Vista upgrade download on new disk
Did you make and ISO DVD disk from the download so that it would boot from
your DVD drive?

"sys-eng" <sys-eng.3ntx48@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Randall Flagg;1173684 Wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:17:14 +0000, sys-eng
>> <sys-eng.3ntuc4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
>>

>> >::I just bought Vista Ultimate 32-bit upgrade from Microsoft via
>> >download from the Microsoft Ultimate Steal download site for students.
>> >I now read that unlike the NT, 2000, and XP upgrades; this upgrade
>> >requires the old OS to be installed. I hope that is not the case but
>> >trying to find out.

>> It is the case.
>>
>> However:
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
>>
>> >Microsoft gave no indication that this download had
>> >these issues on the purchase page. I am upgrading my XP Pro system
>> >(motherboard, CPU, RAM, and disk drive). I want to take this
>> >opportunity to upgrade to Vista. ::
>> >
>> >::Can this version of Vista install on a new disk drive or will I have
>> >to install XP on that drive just so I can install Vista? I have read
>> >that this version of Vista install is not bootable. ::
>> >
>> >::If I do have to reinstall XP, does the Vista install delete all the
>> >XP files? I hope so.::

> ___________________________
>
> Thanks Randall, but did you read my entire post? You can't boot from
> the downloaded upgrades. The site you referenced says to boot from your
> upgrade DVD. It won't work. A real pain.
>

> --
> sys-eng

Location: USA
sys-eng is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: installation of Vista upgrade download on new disk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
Did you make and ISO DVD disk from the download so that it would boot from
your DVD drive?
An .iso image file is just that. It's an image of a disc but thdre is nothing inherent about an ISO image that makes it bootable. The file itself will not boot.

It appears Microsoft has really made a mess of this. If they keep this policy up, then to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on a new drive will require installing XP, then upgrade to Vista, then upgrade to W7, so that the W8 upgrade can be performed.

Last edited by sys-eng : 02-19-2009 at 18:27.

Location: USA
sys-eng is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: installation of Vista upgrade download on new disk
Making an ISO image of the upgrade program does not make it bootable. It just makes it an ISO image.