No drives were found.

spacecowboy1138

No drives were found.

I'm building my first computer, and I'm getting very frustrated. When I
try to install Vista it stops at a screen saying there is no drive to
install on. I have gone through all the forums and google searches I can
muster. I don't believe it to be a BIOS problem, because I've gone
through each of the settings and did a process of elimination on all of
them. It's not a jumper problem. what else can it be? Do I need a
driver? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would
be much appreciated

--
spacecowboy1138
philo

Re: No drives were found.

"spacecowboy1138" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm building my first computer, and I'm getting very frustrated. When I
> try to install Vista it stops at a screen saying there is no drive to
> install on. I have gone through all the forums and google searches I can
> muster. I don't believe it to be a BIOS problem, because I've gone
> through each of the settings and did a process of elimination on all of
> them. It's not a jumper problem. what else can it be? Do I need a
> driver? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would
> be much appreciated

Yes...

you need to load your SATA/chipset drivers att the beginning of the
installation
when you are prompted to do so.

The good news is that with Vista, you can load them from a USB stick

Gary G. Little

Re: No drives were found.
Does your BIOS report the drives? If not then, sorry but no, you have not
got things configured correctly. Philo's thbought to install SATA device
drivers is a good one, but only applies if you have opted for a PCI board,
such as a SiI 3114, for your SATA controller. If your using the
mother-boards SATA controller the out of the box drivers should work, given
you have the MB configured properly and the BIOS can see the drives.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"spacecowboy1138" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm building my first computer, and I'm getting very frustrated. When I
> try to install Vista it stops at a screen saying there is no drive to
> install on. I have gone through all the forums and google searches I can
> muster. I don't believe it to be a BIOS problem, because I've gone
> through each of the settings and did a process of elimination on all of
> them. It's not a jumper problem. what else can it be? Do I need a
> driver? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would
> be much appreciated
>

> --
> spacecowboy1138

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: No drives were found.

"Gary G. Little" <glittle@mn.rr.com> wrote in message

> "spacecowboy1138" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm building my first computer, and I'm getting very frustrated. When
>> try to install Vista it stops at a screen saying there is no drive to
>> install on. I have gone through all the forums and google searches I
>> can
>> muster. I don't believe it to be a BIOS problem, because I've gone
>> through each of the settings and did a process of elimination on all
>> of
>> them. It's not a jumper problem. what else can it be? Do I need a
>> driver? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help
>> would
>> be much appreciated
>>

> Does your BIOS report the drives? If not then, sorry but no, you have
> not got things configured correctly. Philo's thbought to install SATA
> device drivers is a good one, but only applies if you have opted for a
> PCI board, such as a SiI 3114, for your SATA controller. If your using
> the mother-boards SATA controller the out of the box drivers should
> work, given you have the MB configured properly and the BIOS can see
> the drives.

Philo's recommendation to load SATA drivers also applies if the chipset
isn't directly supported by Windows, as happens a lot with newer boards.

--
Zaphod

No matter where you go, there you are!

spacecowboy1138

Re: No drives were found.

My rig recognizes my drive. It shows up in the BIOS as the correct model
number and all that. However, on start up the computer freezes at
"Verifying DMI pool data", which I've been led to believe is some sort
of hardware issue. If I disconnect the hard drive then boot up, it
prompts me to insert a cd to boot from it, instead of freezing at the
verifacation screen

--
spacecowboy1138
Dominic Payer

Re: No drives were found.
Your new drive could be faulty. Download and run its manufacturer's
diagnostic utility and see what it says.

spacecowboy1138 wrote:
> My rig recognizes my drive. It shows up in the BIOS as the correct model
> number and all that. However, on start up the computer freezes at
> "Verifying DMI pool data", which I've been led to believe is some sort
> of hardware issue. If I disconnect the hard drive then boot up, it
> prompts me to insert a cd to boot from it, instead of freezing at the
> verifacation screen

Oldfart

Re: No drives were found.

spacecowboy1138 wrote:
> My rig recognizes my drive. It shows up in the BIOS as the correct model
> number and all that. However, on start up the computer freezes at
> "Verifying DMI pool data", which I've been led to believe is some sort
> of hardware issue. If I disconnect the hard drive then boot up, it
> prompts me to insert a cd to boot from it, instead of freezing at the
> verifacation screen

Please do not take this personally, but how the heck do you, and others,
expect someone to help you when you do not provide enough info to make a
meaningful diagnosis.

Specifically; what make and model mother board? What CPU? What kind, and
how much, memory? What graphics card, hard drives, etc. Provide all
information including what BIOS version is on the board.

There are so many quirks and differences with various kinds of hardware
combinations that the above mentioned items are important when trouble
shooting. It's one thing to sit down in front of a problem computer and
quickly solve the issue when you know what to look for. But it's a real
pain in the butt trying to solve a problem over the internet with next
to no information. Please remember, all computers are *not* the same.
spacecowboy1138

Re: No drives were found.

--
spacecowboy1138
Patrick Keenan

> Gary G. Little;971403 Wrote:
>> Does your BIOS report the drives? If not then, sorry but no, you have
>> not
>> got things configured correctly. Philo's thbought to install SATA
>> device
>> drivers is a good one, but only applies if you have opted for a PCI
>> board,
>> such as a SiI 3114, for your SATA controller. If your using the
>> mother-boards SATA controller the out of the box drivers should work,
>> given
>> you have the MB configured properly and the BIOS can see the drives.
>>
>> --
>> The personal opinion of
>> Gary G. Little
>>
>> My rig recognizes my drive. It shows up in the BIOS as the correct
>> model number and all that. However, on start up the computer freezes at
>> "Verifying DMI pool data", which I've been led to believe is some sort
>> of hardware issue. If I disconnect the hard drive then boot up, it
>> prompts me to insert a cd to boot from it, instead of freezing at the
>> verification screen.
>>

> As for the drivers, I downloaded them, and tried to install them, but
> vista didn't recognize them. I tried them on both a flash drive, and a
> burned dvd.

Go into the BIOS and try shifting the hard drive controller *out* of AHCI
or native SATA mode, to "legacy" or IDE mode. Retry the install, and if it
still doesn't work, it likely isn't a driver issue.

HTH
-pk

> --
> spacecowboy1138

maftoonjaved

Re: No drives were found.

helllo guys every one im too happy for u are support with people .

every one i have pro ,i insert my usb to my computer after i wanted to
remove the usb i click the external dvd /cd room and remove it , now i
cant play any thing in the cd room how can add that back plz any one
help me.

--
maftoonjaved
maftoonjaved's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/maftoonjaved.htm