VERY VERY Slow startup of Ultimate SP1 Upgrade

GeorgeDidIt

VERY VERY Slow startup of Ultimate SP1 Upgrade

I cloned my XP SP2 to another Drive, Installed Ultimate 32 bit
upgrade all was... fairly well. Booted fast, into OS fast, and
worked through several software bugs(uncompatible SW) either
upgrading them, or removing them) and then upgraded to SP1 after
a restore point was created.
I have also another HD that I select in the bios that has a clean
install of 64 bit vista SP1 and all things there are GOOD, aero
works!!
If I boot to 64 bit (changing the boot order in the BIOS) and use
it for several days, then try to boot to 32 bit, the boot seems
to hang, that is 32 bit comes up to the desktop, and then takes over
20-25 minutes to complet the boot process.
The side bar doesn't fill out, just glassed over, the NIC icon on
the task bar is red x'ed, and there is virtually no HD activity
during the "wait state" then all kinds of HD activity, and within
1-2 minutes, the boot completes.

I have turned off, all indexing, no boot defrag. I use endpoint
and diskeeper.

During this "wait state" there is no cpu usage of more than 2-4
percent, no HD activity, and no program usage of memory other
than task manager(needed to checkactivity). If I try to access
anything during this time, the PC seems to lockup, and then a reboot is
needed. I have tried to use other things like access to control
panel, or desktop personilizing, and if I stop and wait, then the
"wait state" ends and everything I opened during this time, will
then start-up, and run normally.

Any suggestions?

--
Papa GeorgeDidIt

I use GigaNews

For some interesting reading try the FAQ:
http://www.geocities.com/abcdgenealogy/
R. C. White

Re: VERY VERY Slow startup of Ultimate SP1 Upgrade
Hi, again, George.

See my response to your other identical post in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

On the RARE occasions when you MUST post the same message to multiple
newsgroups, please cross-post, don't multi-post. That is, put both NG
addresses into a single message. That way, when I read it in one NG, it
will automatically be marked "Read" - for me - in all the NGs and I won't
read the same message over and over. The payoff for you is that you have to
check only one NG to see all the responses in a single coherent thread.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"GeorgeDidIt" <Tiredd2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9BB46557D1077Tiredd2001yahoocom@216.196.97 .131...

> I cloned my XP SP2 to another Drive, Installed Ultimate 32 bit
> upgrade all was... fairly well. Booted fast, into OS fast, and
> worked through several software bugs(uncompatible SW) either
> upgrading them, or removing them) and then upgraded to SP1 after
> a restore point was created.
> I have also another HD that I select in the bios that has a clean
> install of 64 bit vista SP1 and all things there are GOOD, aero
> works!!
> If I boot to 64 bit (changing the boot order in the BIOS) and use
> it for several days, then try to boot to 32 bit, the boot seems
> to hang, that is 32 bit comes up to the desktop, and then takes over
> 20-25 minutes to complet the boot process.
> The side bar doesn't fill out, just glassed over, the NIC icon on
> the task bar is red x'ed, and there is virtually no HD activity
> during the "wait state" then all kinds of HD activity, and within
> 1-2 minutes, the boot completes.
>
> I have turned off, all indexing, no boot defrag. I use endpoint
> and diskeeper.
>
> During this "wait state" there is no cpu usage of more than 2-4
> percent, no HD activity, and no program usage of memory other
> than task manager(needed to checkactivity). If I try to access
> anything during this time, the PC seems to lockup, and then a reboot is
> needed. I have tried to use other things like access to control
> panel, or desktop personilizing, and if I stop and wait, then the
> "wait state" ends and everything I opened during this time, will
> then start-up, and run normally.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> Papa GeorgeDidIt
>
> I use GigaNews
>
> For some interesting reading try the FAQ:
> http://www.geocities.com/abcdgenealogy/

Mick Murphy

RE: VERY VERY Slow startup of Ultimate SP1 Upgrade
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

Upgrades are often a dodgey way to change OSs; try the above.
--
Mad Mike