Vista 64bit from 32bit install question

lunarwolf

Vista 64bit from 32bit install question

Hi @ll

I have 2 PCs and 2 retail versions of Vista Home Premium.

My first comp is allready upgraded to 64bit when I built it 2 years ago
when Vista was launched (I installed the 32 bit ordered the DVD for
64bit and reinstalled)

Now I just built a second computer and installed a second retail Vista
Home Premium SP1 32bit. I would like to upgrade this one to 64 bit as
well.

My question is, can I use the 64bit DVD I had to mail order couple
years ago and link it to my second 32bit product key or do I need to
mail order a second 64bit DVD?

I am asking because I am not sure that if I use the same CD, I will
defacto cancel the 64bit install on my original computer when I install
it on the second one, in which case I have no alternative but ask for
another 64bit disc and wait several weeks for them to send me the disc.

Cheers

--
lunarwolf
Srle

Re: Vista 64bit from 32bit install question
lunarwolf wrote:
> Hi @ll
>
> I have 2 PCs and 2 retail versions of Vista Home Premium.
>
> My first comp is allready upgraded to 64bit when I built it 2 years ago
> when Vista was launched (I installed the 32 bit ordered the DVD for
> 64bit and reinstalled)
>
> Now I just built a second computer and installed a second retail Vista
> Home Premium SP1 32bit. I would like to upgrade this one to 64 bit as
> well.
>
> My question is, can I use the 64bit DVD I had to mail order couple
> years ago and link it to my second 32bit product key or do I need to
> mail order a second 64bit DVD?
>
> I am asking because I am not sure that if I use the same CD, I will
> defacto cancel the 64bit install on my original computer when I install
> it on the second one, in which case I have no alternative but ask for
> another 64bit disc and wait several weeks for them to send me the disc.
>
> Cheers

since it is going to ask you for serial number, you're about to find out...

lunarwolf wrote:
> Hi @ll
>
> I have 2 PCs and 2 retail versions of Vista Home Premium.
>
> My first comp is allready upgraded to 64bit when I built it 2 years ago
> when Vista was launched (I installed the 32 bit ordered the DVD for
> 64bit and reinstalled)
>
> Now I just built a second computer and installed a second retail Vista
> Home Premium SP1 32bit. I would like to upgrade this one to 64 bit as
> well.
>
> My question is, can I use the 64bit DVD I had to mail order couple
> years ago and link it to my second 32bit product key or do I need to
> mail order a second 64bit DVD?
>
> I am asking because I am not sure that if I use the same CD, I will
> defacto cancel the 64bit install on my original computer when I install
> it on the second one, in which case I have no alternative but ask for
> another 64bit disc and wait several weeks for them to send me the disc.
>
> Cheers

since it is going to ask you for serial number, you're about to find out...
Dominic Payer

Re: Vista 64bit from 32bit install question
It is the product key, not the disk, which determines the version of
Vista installed and is used for activation. All 32-bit and 64-bit disks
are the same, whatever labels they carry, so there are only 4 Vista
installation disks - 32 and 64 bit RTM, and 32 and 64 bit SP1.

You can safely use the 64-bit disk you have with your second product key.

Any Vista installation disk can be used, without a product key, to
install a 30-day trial of any version of Vista. 32-bit disks can only
install 32-bit Vista and 64-bit disks only 64-bit Vista.