Upgrade to Vista from XP Home

Jcampx

Upgrade to Vista from XP Home
I am considering an upgrade to Vista because I have encountered a virus
called ZLOB.TROJAN. This parasite exists in the registry and I have been
unsuccessful in removing. My question is: Will upgrading to Vista replace the
XP registry entries?
Also will I be able to use the less expensive upgrade when I currently an
OEM version of XP that came with my Dell computer?

Thanks for the help
Malke

Re: Upgrade to Vista from XP Home
Jcampx wrote:

> I am considering an upgrade to Vista because I have encountered a virus
> called ZLOB.TROJAN. This parasite exists in the registry and I have been
> unsuccessful in removing. My question is: Will upgrading to Vista replace
> the XP registry entries?
> Also will I be able to use the less expensive upgrade when I currently an
> OEM version of XP that came with my Dell computer?

As to your first question, no. Your Vista upgrade install will also be
infected. I don't know the answer to your second question. I would think
so, but I wouldn't suggest upgrading an OEM version anyway. The upgrade
(Vista) will be tied to the original OEM install (XP) and so won't be
transferable to a new machine when the XP box dies (and that Dell XP CD
won't install on non-Dell hardware). Better to spend the extra money and
buy a full version that has no such restrictions instead.

You can get guided help to remove the infection at one of the specialty
forums below OR back up your data and do a clean install of Windows (either
XP or Vista, but you should check to make sure there are Dell Vista drivers
for that computer). It is your choice. If you are unsure how to back up
your data or how to do a clean install, you can take your machine to a
local computer professional. I don't recommend using
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad types of places.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and
the stickies *first*.
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Bruce Chambers

Jcampx wrote:
> I am considering an upgrade to Vista because I have encountered a virus
> called ZLOB.TROJAN.

That's probably the worst, and certainly the least useful, reason to
perform an in-place upgrade that I can think of. Make sure you've
completely eradicated all traces of this Trojan *before* upgrading the
OS. Failure to do so is likely to only more deeply embed the infestation.

>This parasite exists in the registry and I have been
> unsuccessful in removing. My question is: Will upgrading to Vista replace the
> XP registry entries?

Not exactly. While Vista's installation process differs greatly from
those of earlier Windows versions, the upgrade process is specifically
designed to retain as many of the current registry settings (along with
installed applications) as is technically possible. otherwise, there
wouldn't be much point in there beiong an upgrade option, would there?
Those registry entries that are compatible with Vista (almost all) will
be recreated in the upgraded installation.

> Also will I be able to use the less expensive upgrade when I currently an
> OEM version of XP that came with my Dell computer?

Yes, you'd qualify for an Upgrade license to any of the Vista editions.
When upgrading, the license type (OEM Vs. retail) of the older,
qualifying OS doesn't matter.

Just remember to completely eradicate that Trojan before proceeding.
Also - and this is very important, make sure that you computer meets or
(preferably) exceeds all of Vista's system requirements and that Dell
has provided Vista-specific device drivers for all of the computer's
internal components.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Bruce Chambers

Malke wrote:

> I would think
> so, but I wouldn't suggest upgrading an OEM version anyway. The upgrade
> (Vista) will be tied to the original OEM install (XP) and so won't be
> transferable to a new machine when the XP box dies (and that Dell XP CD
> won't install on non-Dell hardware).

Malke --

Are you sure about this? I believe that the retail upgrade license
would still be transferable, provided that there's a qualifying OS
license on the new computer, of course. Remember, licenses are
"attached" to the computer, not the user or another piece of software.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Jcampx

Re: Upgrade to Vista from XP Home
Thank you. That is very helpful information
JCAMPX

"Malke" wrote:

> Jcampx wrote:
>
> > I am considering an upgrade to Vista because I have encountered a virus
> > called ZLOB.TROJAN. This parasite exists in the registry and I have been
> > unsuccessful in removing. My question is: Will upgrading to Vista replace
> > the XP registry entries?
> > Also will I be able to use the less expensive upgrade when I currently an
> > OEM version of XP that came with my Dell computer?

> As to your first question, no. Your Vista upgrade install will also be
> infected. I don't know the answer to your second question. I would think
> so, but I wouldn't suggest upgrading an OEM version anyway. The upgrade
> (Vista) will be tied to the original OEM install (XP) and so won't be
> transferable to a new machine when the XP box dies (and that Dell XP CD
> won't install on non-Dell hardware). Better to spend the extra money and
> buy a full version that has no such restrictions instead.
>
> You can get guided help to remove the infection at one of the specialty
> forums below OR back up your data and do a clean install of Windows (either
> XP or Vista, but you should check to make sure there are Dell Vista drivers
> for that computer). It is your choice. If you are unsure how to back up
> your data or how to do a clean install, you can take your machine to a
> local computer professional. I don't recommend using
> BigComputerStore/GeekSquad types of places.
>
> PLEASE DO NOT POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.
>
> http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
> http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and
> the stickies *first*.
> http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
> http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
> http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
> http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
> http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
> http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Jcampx

Re: Upgrade to Vista from XP Home
Thank You for the information

Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Malke --
>
> Are you sure about this? I believe that the retail upgrade license
> would still be transferable, provided that there's a qualifying OS
> license on the new computer, of course. Remember, licenses are
> "attached" to the computer, not the user or another piece of software.

No, I'm not sure about this. I think you're right with the above. I still
think that the OP shouldn't try and upgrade an infected machine (as you and
I both pointed out). If the OP buys another machine with XP preinstalled
(probably unlikely), then the retail Vista upgrade would work. But if he
buys another machine that has no operating system with the idea of
installing his XP from the Dell and then upgrading to Vista, that won't
work because the Dell XP install CD will be BIOS-locked to a Dell
motherboard. So that's what was in my mind.

Malke