Rebuilding Start menu

ChrisG

Rebuilding Start menu

A "friend" sat in front of my PC and tried to do me a favor, by running
a "free" Registry fix software program. It took me a while to delete
this program, but now I've discovered a problem. My Start menu now has
missing items, for instance the Games category, no longer shows the
games that once were there.

I've looked for a restore point, prior to my "friends" intervention,
but it does not exist. Is there a way to re-build the Start menu and
restore it to it's previous existence? Thanks for any assistance!

Chris G

--
ChrisG
Rick Rogers

Re: Rebuilding Start menu
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear that you were yet another victim of those registry "cleaner"
programs. Generally, once one damages the system you're stuck doing a repair
installation to fix it unless they have their own "undo" function (as you've
removed it, this is unlikely now).

To affect a repair install, insert your Vista disk while logged into the
current installation and do an in-place upgrade to the existing
installation. You will need to reapply all available updates once it
completes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"ChrisG" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> A "friend" sat in front of my PC and tried to do me a favor, by running
> a "free" Registry fix software program. It took me a while to delete
> this program, but now I've discovered a problem. My Start menu now has
> missing items, for instance the Games category, no longer shows the
> games that once were there.
>
> I've looked for a restore point, prior to my "friends" intervention,
> but it does not exist. Is there a way to re-build the Start menu and
> restore it to it's previous existence? Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Chris G
>

> --
> ChrisG

SIW2

Re: Rebuilding Start menu

ChrisG;962183 Wrote:
> A "friend" sat in front of my PC and tried to do me a favor, by running
> a "free" Registry fix software program. It took me a while to delete
> this program, but now I've discovered a problem. My Start menu now has
> missing items, for instance the Games category, no longer shows the
> games that once were there.
>
> I've looked for a restore point, prior to my "friends" intervention,
> but it does not exist. Is there a way to re-build the Start menu and
> restore it to it's previous existence? Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Chris G

Hi Chris G,

This may be what you are looking for

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...shortcuts.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...shortcuts.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
philo

Re: Rebuilding Start menu

"ChrisG" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> A "friend" sat in front of my PC and tried to do me a favor, by running
> a "free" Registry fix software program. It took me a while to delete
> this program, but now I've discovered a problem. My Start menu now has
> missing items, for instance the Games category, no longer shows the
> games that once were there.
>
> I've looked for a restore point, prior to my "friends" intervention,
> but it does not exist. Is there a way to re-build the Start menu and
> restore it to it's previous existence? Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Chris G

Pretty easy to just drag and drop the desired shortcuts back to the start
menu...
but I hope you now see why it's advised never to use those so called
registry repair utilities.

BTW: Many of them have an undo function...so you should have looked for that
prior to uninstalling the app.

Once a Marine

Re: Rebuilding Start menu
I installed this phony Free Registry Fix and it ruined my PC. I tried to ask
for my money back the very next day and they refuse to answer me. I see their
icon in my document file ,but I can not delete it. Be careful, it is a big
scam. Ed

"philo" wrote:

> "ChrisG" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > A "friend" sat in front of my PC and tried to do me a favor, by running
> > a "free" Registry fix software program. It took me a while to delete
> > this program, but now I've discovered a problem. My Start menu now has
> > missing items, for instance the Games category, no longer shows the
> > games that once were there.
> >
> > I've looked for a restore point, prior to my "friends" intervention,
> > but it does not exist. Is there a way to re-build the Start menu and
> > restore it to it's previous existence? Thanks for any assistance!
> >
> > Chris G
> >

> Pretty easy to just drag and drop the desired shortcuts back to the start
> menu...
> but I hope you now see why it's advised never to use those so called
> registry repair utilities.
>
> BTW: Many of them have an undo function...so you should have looked for that
> prior to uninstalling the app.

Mike Torello

Re: Rebuilding Start menu
Once a Marine <Once a Marine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I installed this phony Free Registry Fix and it ruined my PC. I tried to ask
>for my money back the very next day and they refuse to answer me. I see their
>icon in my document file ,but I can not delete it. Be careful, it is a big
>scam. Ed

Next time you find a wonder-product online, you'll check it out before
paying good money.

And you might think about looking into keeping full system backups for
situations where you've fried your system by using crappy software.

BTW... even the most reputable of software vendors are unlikely to
give refunds on downloaded software - UNLESS they have a way of
inactivating it.