Sysprep Create Reboot Loop

mountnco

Sysprep Create Reboot Loop

Hi Guys,

I have created a Vista Enterprise x86 image several times and tried to
sysprep it. I used the 'sysprep /oobe /generalize' command. When the
computer boots after I have syspreped it I get a black screen that says
'Setting up your computer...' or somthing similar. It then displays the
vista background and says 'Please wait while Windows continues setting
up your computer'. The machine then reboots and the green loading bar
shows for a second and reboots. The machine is then stuck in a reboot
loop. Not even safe mode or Last known good config will let the machine
boot.

Also I had several days of pain trying to get the vista to sysprep at
all. My vLite SP! slipstreamed disc didn't allow syspreping and errored
out. I had to install vista and manually install the SP1.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

--
mountnco
lakmilis

Re: Sysprep Create Reboot Loop

LOL.. bad configuring of the image hehe. After you have sysprepped it
and you run the image again (booting into it) , you will get that setup
screen as the general state will again populate the installation. If you
have created the image, why are you sysprepping again? Because you think
it's needed? Not really if you are making a single computer (specific)
image. Anyway.. let's say you want to sysprep it anyway.. sure.. but
then you should capture the image before booting it up again.
(nevermind, you don't seem to know why you are doing it and
regardless... it shouldn't go into reboot loops , unable to boot). You
definitely have screwed up some things. Either use vLite and just don't
mess around with autounattend.. NOTE!! If you remove wrong components in
vLite , you could get a pretty messed up OS.. I would recommment NOT* to
remove anything and just USE WAIK, until you get your autounattends
right.. then , first then you could go back to humping your OS in vLite.

--
lakmilis
mountnco

Re: Sysprep Create Reboot Loop

What Sh!t are you talking?

I'm creating an image for a hundred odd machines. I built the image
from scratch and tried to sysprep it so that I can deploy it to all the
machines. Sysprep murders my image and puts it in a reboot loop!

I only used v-lite to slipstream SP1 onto the disc.

All I want to really know is if there will be any logs that will
contain information about why the system won't boot?

P.S. Vista sux hairy balls, bring on Windows 7!

--
mountnco
lakmilis

Re: Sysprep Create Reboot Loop

I'm just saying, I wouldn't want to be one of those using those
machines, nor your boss

The things you describe after booting back into your generalized image
(when you know your image is good, you won't boot back into it after
generalizing it). The loop indicates a pretty unstable state no? The
thing is when you tried to boot back into your generalized image to
populate it again.. did you get time to create a user for example? or
did it reboot before you got to do anything? That could explain why it
is looping.

If you installed SP1 , then I would suggest you take your original
vista again, attend it and sysprep it into sysprep /audit mode...
install SP1 (and anything else you want), then when you are happy, you
generalize it in oobe mode.

gl

--
lakmilis
Zaphod Beeblebrox

"mountnco" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have created a Vista Enterprise x86 image several times and tried to
> sysprep it. I used the 'sysprep /oobe /generalize' command. When the
> computer boots after I have syspreped it I get a black screen that
> says
> 'Setting up your computer...' or somthing similar. It then displays
> the
> vista background and says 'Please wait while Windows continues setting
> up your computer'. The machine then reboots and the green loading bar
> shows for a second and reboots. The machine is then stuck in a reboot
> loop. Not even safe mode or Last known good config will let the
> machine
> boot.
>
> Also I had several days of pain trying to get the vista to sysprep at
> all. My vLite SP! slipstreamed disc didn't allow syspreping and
> errored
> out. I had to install vista and manually install the SP1.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me!

By default, the generalize pass forces a re-detection of installed
device drivers. I wonder if one of the drivers isn't getting
reinstalled properly (mass storage driver maybe?). Anyway, if you are
deploying to a single, standard hardware platform you can force sysprep
to preserve the installed device drivers like this:

<settings pass="generalize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep"
processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
</component>
</settings>

Hope this helps!

--
Zaphod

No matter where you go, there you are!

Zaphod Beeblebrox;958282 Wrote:
> "mountnco" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:812313e98c073d0db441ab02a2be157e@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I have created a Vista Enterprise x86 image several times and tried

> > > sysprep it. I used the 'sysprep /oobe /generalize' command. When the
> > > computer boots after I have syspreped it I get a black screen that
> > > says
> > > 'Setting up your computer...' or somthing similar. It then displays
> > > the
> > > vista background and says 'Please wait while Windows continues

> > setting
> > > up your computer'. The machine then reboots and the green loading bar
> > > shows for a second and reboots. The machine is then stuck in a reboot
> > > loop. Not even safe mode or Last known good config will let the
> > > machine
> > > boot.
> > >
> > > Also I had several days of pain trying to get the vista to sysprep at
> > > all. My vLite SP! slipstreamed disc didn't allow syspreping and
> > > errored
> > > out. I had to install vista and manually install the SP1.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help you can give me!
> > >

> By default, the generalize pass forces a re-detection of installed
> device drivers. I wonder if one of the drivers isn't getting
> reinstalled properly (mass storage driver maybe?). Anyway, if you are
> deploying to a single, standard hardware platform you can force
> sysprep
> to preserve the installed device drivers like this:
>
> <settings pass="generalize">
> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep"
> processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
> language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
> xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
> <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
> </component>
> </settings>
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> --
> Zaphod
>
> No matter where you go, there you are!

but two headed freak.... that! has nothing and little to do with reboot
cycles

--
lakmilis
Zaphod Beeblebrox

"lakmilis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Zaphod Beeblebrox;958282 Wrote:
>> "mountnco" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:812313e98c073d0db441ab02a2be157e@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> > setting

>> By default, the generalize pass forces a re-detection of installed
>> device drivers. I wonder if one of the drivers isn't getting
>> reinstalled properly (mass storage driver maybe?). Anyway, if you are
>> deploying to a single, standard hardware platform you can force
>> sysprep
>> to preserve the installed device drivers like this:
>>
>> <settings pass="generalize">
>> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep"
>> processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
>> language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
>> xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
>> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
>> <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
>> </component>
>> </settings>
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> --
>> Zaphod
>>
>> No matter where you go, there you are!

> but two headed freak.... that! has nothing and little to do with
> reboot
> cycles

Personal compliments aside ;-), why not? Couldn't it be a BSOD reboot
cycle - think stop 7b errors because of a bad/missing mass storage
driver.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something
big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.

lakmilis

Re: Sysprep Create Reboot Loop

hehe.... everyone in the universe don't get 'that' .. they just have
it... we are marvins in disguise... simply we get more out of our
organic designs than the non-organic ones. so we adjust our metaphysics
accordingly.... sure.. but even if the drivers are not finding the
devices on the mass storage controllers... does it really create a
vicious cycle of reboots? (I do not think I have experienced that
phenomena in that situation.. although it's been a while it happened ...
xp on 'newer' comps)

lak

--
lakmilis
Zaphod Beeblebrox

> sure.. but even if the drivers are not finding the
> devices on the mass storage controllers... does it really create a
> vicious cycle of reboots? (I do not think I have experienced that
> phenomena in that situation.. although it's been a while it happened
> xp on 'newer' comps)

I don't know, I'm just proposing it as a possibility. Worth a try, and
can't hurt if the OP is deploying to a unified platform. Hopefully the
OP will report back...

--
Zaphod

Vell, Zaphod's just zis guy, ya know? - Gag Halfrunt

lakmilis

Re: Sysprep Create Reboot Loop

GREAT.. hit my mouse 'back' button ..msg gone..

Ok.. I was saying.. sure... I agree on that, but wouldn'y OP mention
stop erro codes if he was getting BSODs? I assume(d) it is blank screens
just rebooting.

(The personal was just to zaphod.. hero unconventional weirdo, but the
driving element in the story... one has to say he is also the persona
non grata ino in the book hehe. ,))

--
lakmilis