Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

password(s) question

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2009
Luvrsmel
 

Posts: n/a
password(s) question
Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different than the
logon password to Windows?
In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally (because of
my windows mail being read by others) but still need access to other files
remotely.
I really need help with this so any advice please!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2009
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: password(s) question
Hi,

No, that's not possible. However, if you set up file sharing correctly via
permissions, there's no reason to password the files.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Luvrsmel" <not@here.com> wrote in message
news:0EBE6F7D-641D-444A-B8D6-17A828317910@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different than the
> logon password to Windows?
> In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally (because
> of my windows mail being read by others) but still need access to other
> files remotely.
> I really need help with this so any advice please!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009
Luvrsmel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: password(s) question
Its not the remote files I'm worried about...it's my personal email getting
read by prying eyes when my back is turned.
The other person who needs the remote access is taking the priviledge one
step further and is also logging on locally because they know the windows
password.
They can then easily access my windows mail which they are doing.
I think windows 95 used to allow different passwords for local and remote
access ... but I'm not stepping back in time 14 years.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:ufuxS%23UfJHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> No, that's not possible. However, if you set up file sharing correctly via
> permissions, there's no reason to password the files.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Luvrsmel" <not@here.com> wrote in message
> news:0EBE6F7D-641D-444A-B8D6-17A828317910@microsoft.com...
>> Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different than the
>> logon password to Windows?
>> In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally (because
>> of my windows mail being read by others) but still need access to other
>> files remotely.
>> I really need help with this so any advice please!

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009
Zaphod Beeblebrox
 

Posts: n/a
Re: password(s) question
Sounds like you need to set up a separate account for this person that
is set to 'Deny log on locally', and then change the password for your
main account. That will allow them to access files over the network,
but not log on. To set the Deny log on locally flag, Start -
secpol.msc - Local Policy - User Rights Assignment - Deny log on
locally - Add User or Group

--
Zaphod

No matter where you go, there you are!


"Luvrsmel" <nothere@there.com> wrote in message
news:eQhLFJ9fJHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Its not the remote files I'm worried about...it's my personal email
> getting read by prying eyes when my back is turned.
> The other person who needs the remote access is taking the priviledge
> one step further and is also logging on locally because they know the
> windows password.
> They can then easily access my windows mail which they are doing.
> I think windows 95 used to allow different passwords for local and
> remote access ... but I'm not stepping back in time 14 years.
>
> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:ufuxS%23UfJHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> No, that's not possible. However, if you set up file sharing
>> correctly via permissions, there's no reason to password the files.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Luvrsmel" <not@here.com> wrote in message
>> news:0EBE6F7D-641D-444A-B8D6-17A828317910@microsoft.com...
>>> Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different
>>> than the logon password to Windows?
>>> In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally
>>> (because of my windows mail being read by others) but still need
>>> access to other files remotely.
>>> I really need help with this so any advice please!

>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSN password, Outlook password, AIM and more. Password recovery and find product key tplink60 Security & Privacy Software Feed 0 01-09-2009 02:34
Password question Bill W microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 09-12-2007 02:22
Another Admin Password question for Vista Business apilling microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 08-16-2007 00:58
Password question Dave Horne microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 06-15-2007 13:21
Dual boot system question and family deal discount question =?Utf-8?B?QmV0YXRlc3Rlcnp6?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 03-01-2007 03:42




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:55.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120