Upgrade from XP Home to Ultimate 64 Bit

marshalex

Upgrade from XP Home to Ultimate 64 Bit

I'm looking at upgrading to vista ultimate using the ultimate steal
version of Vista ultimate which is a download. I'm wondering how to make
a bootable disc of the downloaded files so that I can do a clean install
as obviously its not possible to install 64 bit within XP. Does anyone
know how to do this?

--
marshalex
Dominic Payer

Re: Upgrade from XP Home to Ultimate 64 Bit
I think this
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...h-vlite-guide/
is what you need.

"marshalex" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm looking at upgrading to vista ultimate using the ultimate steal
> version of Vista ultimate which is a download. I'm wondering how to make
> a bootable disc of the downloaded files so that I can do a clean install
> as obviously its not possible to install 64 bit within XP. Does anyone
> know how to do this?
>

> --
> marshalex

marshalex

Re: Upgrade from XP Home to Ultimate 64 Bit

Thanks for this. Is there no official way to do it from microsoft as it
seems pretty stupid to sell a downloadable product with no other support
at all. Also will it be possible to access the files on my XP hard drive
once i've installed vista (planning to install it on a new hard drive)
as i've seen that its possible to have problems accessing the documents
and settings of other installs

--
marshalex
Mike Brannigan

> Thanks for this. Is there no official way to do it from microsoft as it
> seems pretty stupid to sell a downloadable product with no other support
> at all. Also will it be possible to access the files on my XP hard drive
> once i've installed vista (planning to install it on a new hard drive)
> as i've seen that its possible to have problems accessing the documents
> and settings of other installs
>

> --
> marshalex

Upgrades are designed to be installed from within the product they are
upgrading from - as there is no upgrade from an x86 product to an x64 there
is no issue here, everything is by design.
If you want to use an upgrade product to do a clean install then as you have
already been directed to one of the many sites detailing the work around.

As regards accessing your files on another hard drive. The worst case
scenario is that you have to take ownership of the folders and files and
then reset the permission on them to allow you access. This is easy to do
via Windows Explorer.

--

Mike Brannigan

marshalex

Mike Brannigan;944052 Wrote:
> "marshalex" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:6deacdff0563f06dc26006993377865d@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Thanks for this. Is there no official way to do it from microsoft as

> > it
> > > seems pretty stupid to sell a downloadable product with no other

> > support
> > > at all. Also will it be possible to access the files on my XP hard

> > drive
> > > once i've installed vista (planning to install it on a new hard

> > drive)
> > > as i've seen that its possible to have problems accessing the

> > documents
> > > and settings of other installs
> > >

> > > --
> > > marshalex > > Upgrades are designed to be installed from within the product they are

> upgrading from - as there is no upgrade from an x86 product to an x64
> there
> is no issue here, everything is by design.
> If you want to use an upgrade product to do a clean install then as
> you have
> already been directed to one of the many sites detailing the work
> around.
>
> As regards accessing your files on another hard drive. The worst
> case
> scenario is that you have to take ownership of the folders and files
> and
> then reset the permission on them to allow you access. This is easy
> to do
> via Windows Explorer.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Yeah that is true but its more the point that microsoft don't detail
how to perform this, though they are quite happy to let you pay for, and
download a product that isn't going to work unless you dig around the
internet to find a work around. Thats the main problem and if it wasn't
for guys like you letting people know how to get around it then everyone
would be stuck! I just would have thought that if microsoft are going to
allow people with a 32 bit OS to download a 64 bit upgrade then they
should provide the tools to be able to do it with no hassle.

--
marshalex
David B.

Re: Upgrade from XP Home to Ultimate 64 Bit
Anyone can go to their car dealer and purchase a new radio, fuel pump, or
even an entire engine, is it the dealers responsibility to make sure you
know how to install what you buy? No it's not, why should it be any
different with Microsoft? People seem to have this mentality that they
should be spoon fed and it should be free when it comes to their computers
for some reason.

Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

> Mike Brannigan;944052 Wrote:
>> "marshalex" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:6deacdff0563f06dc26006993377865d@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> > it
>> > support
>> > drive
>> > drive)
>> > documents

>> upgrading from - as there is no upgrade from an x86 product to an x64
>> there
>> is no issue here, everything is by design.
>> If you want to use an upgrade product to do a clean install then as
>> you have
>> already been directed to one of the many sites detailing the work
>> around.
>>
>> As regards accessing your files on another hard drive. The worst
>> case
>> scenario is that you have to take ownership of the folders and files
>> and
>> then reset the permission on them to allow you access. This is easy
>> to do
>> via Windows Explorer.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

> Yeah that is true but its more the point that microsoft don't detail
> how to perform this, though they are quite happy to let you pay for, and
> download a product that isn't going to work unless you dig around the
> internet to find a work around. Thats the main problem and if it wasn't
> for guys like you letting people know how to get around it then everyone
> would be stuck! I just would have thought that if microsoft are going to
> allow people with a 32 bit OS to download a 64 bit upgrade then they
> should provide the tools to be able to do it with no hassle.
>

> --
> marshalex

Hobo

marshalex wrote:
> Mike Brannigan;944052 Wrote:
>> "marshalex" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:6deacdff0563f06dc26006993377865d@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
>>> it
>>> support
>>> drive
>>> drive)
>>> documents

>> upgrading from - as there is no upgrade from an x86 product to an x64
>> there
>> is no issue here, everything is by design.
>> If you want to use an upgrade product to do a clean install then as
>> you have
>> already been directed to one of the many sites detailing the work
>> around.
>>
>> As regards accessing your files on another hard drive. The worst
>> case
>> scenario is that you have to take ownership of the folders and files
>> and
>> then reset the permission on them to allow you access. This is easy
>> to do
>> via Windows Explorer.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

> Yeah that is true but its more the point that microsoft don't detail
> how to perform this, though they are quite happy to let you pay for, and
> download a product that isn't going to work unless you dig around the
> internet to find a work around. Thats the main problem and if it wasn't
> for guys like you letting people know how to get around it then everyone
> would be stuck! I just would have thought that if microsoft are going to
> allow people with a 32 bit OS to download a 64 bit upgrade then they
> should provide the tools to be able to do it with no hassle.

Well, you could have ordered the 32 bit version. If I was a vendor, and
you ordered the 64 bit version I'd assume you know what you want -
there's no way I'd tell you that you couldn't have it! It's your money
and your decision!

The other alternative, in your case, is go to a book store and buy a
book on Vista. There's going to a lot of things about Vista that you
will probably want to know and try.It's a lot different than XP.

Curious

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "marshalex" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks for this. Is there no official way to do it from microsoft as it
>> seems pretty stupid to sell a downloadable product with no other support
>> at all. Also will it be possible to access the files on my XP hard drive
>> once i've installed vista (planning to install it on a new hard drive)
>> as i've seen that its possible to have problems accessing the documents
>> and settings of other installs
>>

>> --
>> marshalex

> Upgrades are designed to be installed from within the product they are
> upgrading from - as there is no upgrade from an x86 product to an x64
> there is no issue here, everything is by design.
> If you want to use an upgrade product to do a clean install then as you
> have already been directed to one of the many sites detailing the work
> around.
>
> As regards accessing your files on another hard drive. The worst case
> scenario is that you have to take ownership of the folders and files and
> then reset the permission on them to allow you access. This is easy to do
> via Windows Explorer.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

To use a retail upgrade version of Vista to upgrade from 32 bit XP to Visa
64 bit you have to boot from the 64 bit installation DVD and then perform a
clean install on top of the partition containing the 32 bit OS without
reformatting it.