Will Vista run on FAT 32 ?

greggo

Will Vista run on FAT 32 ?
I just ran the vista advisor from Microsoft and it said my 160 GB FAT 32 Hard
drive was acceptable. I was under the impression that Vista required NTFS.

I don't like the convert command because it loses some performance and has
other issues.

I can format and partition another 160 GB Hard Drive to NTFS and then use
Acronis to copy partions (it will copy the files from an image without
copying the FAT 32 format). The only problem is that it will take more than
four hours. Does anyone know of a quicker method?
Dominic Payer

Re: Will Vista run on FAT 32 ?
See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc766145.aspx

"greggo" <greggo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just ran the vista advisor from Microsoft and it said my 160 GB FAT 32
>Hard
> drive was acceptable. I was under the impression that Vista required NTFS.
>
> I don't like the convert command because it loses some performance and has
> other issues.
>
> I can format and partition another 160 GB Hard Drive to NTFS and then use
> Acronis to copy partions (it will copy the files from an image without
> copying the FAT 32 format). The only problem is that it will take more
> than
> four hours. Does anyone know of a quicker method?

peter

Re: Will Vista run on FAT 32 ?
Format during the installation

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"greggo" <greggo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just ran the vista advisor from Microsoft and it said my 160 GB FAT 32
> Hard
> drive was acceptable. I was under the impression that Vista required NTFS.
>
> I don't like the convert command because it loses some performance and has
> other issues.
>
> I can format and partition another 160 GB Hard Drive to NTFS and then use
> Acronis to copy partions (it will copy the files from an image without
> copying the FAT 32 format). The only problem is that it will take more
> than
> four hours. Does anyone know of a quicker method?

Rick Rogers

Re: Will Vista run on FAT 32 ?
Hi,

Vista has to install on NTFS. It can use FAT32 volumes for data storage, but
not as the system volume.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"greggo" <greggo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just ran the vista advisor from Microsoft and it said my 160 GB FAT 32
>Hard
> drive was acceptable. I was under the impression that Vista required NTFS.
>
> I don't like the convert command because it loses some performance and has
> other issues.
>
> I can format and partition another 160 GB Hard Drive to NTFS and then use
> Acronis to copy partions (it will copy the files from an image without
> copying the FAT 32 format). The only problem is that it will take more
> than
> four hours. Does anyone know of a quicker method?

greggo

Re: Will Vista run on FAT 32 ?
Thank You. That clears up some confusion from the Microsoft site.