vista won't detect new drive

=?Utf-8?B?aGg=?=

vista won't detect new drive
I bought an additional seagate internal HDD (ST3320620AS), although my bios
detect the new drive, vista does not detect it. I'm wondering is this drive
vista compliant or must i do something else in vista for it to be detected.
Device manager detects it as "other devices" and not a storage device. help.
Bruce Chambers

Re: vista won't detect new drive
"hh" <hh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought an additional seagate internal HDD (ST3320620AS), although my bios
> detect the new drive, vista does not detect it. I'm wondering is this
> drive
> vista compliant or must i do something else in vista for it to be
> detected.
> Device manager detects it as "other devices" and not a storage device.
> help.

What, precisely, do you mean by "vista does not detect it?" Do you mean
that it's not visible in Windows Explorer? Have you created and formatted
at least one partition on it?

The new hard drive cannot appear in Windows Explorer or My Computer,
nor can disk management assign it a drive letter, until it has been
partitioned and formatted. Right-click My Computer > Manage > Storage >
Disk Management. Create and format partition(s) on the second hard drive as
desired.

--
Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

John Barnes

Re: vista won't detect new drive
Also, if this is a SATA drive and your others are IDE, you will probably
have to provide drivers for it. That would be why it is in the Other
devices in Device Manager.

"hh" <hh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought an additional seagate internal HDD (ST3320620AS), although my bios
> detect the new drive, vista does not detect it. I'm wondering is this
> drive
> vista compliant or must i do something else in vista for it to be
> detected.
> Device manager detects it as "other devices" and not a storage device.
> help.

=?Utf-8?B?cmlja3JoNzI=?=

Re: vista won't detect new drive
You have to make a SATA driver disk. Extract the drivers from the MOBO disk
and install them. You will have to do this for every sata HD in the raid
array. Hop this helps. Have fun, Rick

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Also, if this is a SATA drive and your others are IDE, you will probably
> have to provide drivers for it. That would be why it is in the Other
> devices in Device Manager.
>

> "hh" <hh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought an additional seagate internal HDD (ST3320620AS), although my bios
> > detect the new drive, vista does not detect it. I'm wondering is this
> > drive
> > vista compliant or must i do something else in vista for it to be
> > detected.
> > Device manager detects it as "other devices" and not a storage device.
> > help.

=?Utf-8?B?eGlvd2Fu?=

RE: vista won't detect new drive
Hi "hh":
Here is what Disk Management Help says to do prior to the
partitioning/formatting:

"Initialize New Disks
Backup Operator or Administrator is the minimum membership required.

To initialize new disks

In Disk Management, right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then
click Initialize Disk.

In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize. You can
select whether to use the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table
(GPT) partition style.

Note
The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

Additional considerations
New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must
first initialize it. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the
Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk."

This worked fine for me. I think this "intitializing" a new disk is new to
Vista.........I don't remember needing to do that in XP LOL! Hope this
helps with your problem!

xiowan..........in tucson