Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
davidjb7
 

Posts: n/a
Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
The computer was bought few years ago with pre-installed MS XP OS from
Hewlett-Packard Company and at later date it was upgraded to Vista OS with
Vista upgrade software purchased by me when it was first released.

Few weeks ago, I come upon problems with my home-use computer and I need
your assistance/advice.

Recently, I encountered Vista operating system’s multiple problems,
especially with networking (with another computer and laptop) that prompted
me to re-install the Vista “Upgrade” OS software, hopefully to correct the
problem. At that time, I was unable to “re-install with saved settings” and
the software suggested reinstalling Vista OS “from scratch”. Once I
reinstalled the Vista however, it asked for original previous “full version”
MS XP OS discs which I never had it since these discs did not come with the
computer since it was already pre-installed by Hewlett-Packard Company.
Sadly I never made a backup copy.

Currently the Vista OS is running on “30 days to activiate” period. Several
times I tried to authenticate OS with legally owned Vista and XP Product keys
and it will not accept it and I am frustrated how to resolve this problem.

Please advise me how to resolve this situation and in advance I thank you
for assisting me to resolve this matter.

David
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
Carey Frisch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
You'll have to purchase a "full version" license for the edition of
Windows Vista you installed.


"davidjb7" <davidjb7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:364C5154-F390-4100-BC7E-B7F3CE6504B0@microsoft.com...
> The computer was bought few years ago with pre-installed MS XP OS from
> Hewlett-Packard Company and at later date it was upgraded to Vista OS with
> Vista upgrade software purchased by me when it was first released.
>
> Few weeks ago, I come upon problems with my home-use computer and I need
> your assistance/advice.
>
> Recently, I encountered Vista operating system’s multiple problems,
> especially with networking (with another computer and laptop) that prompted
> me to re-install the Vista “Upgrade” OS software, hopefully to correct the
> problem. At that time, I was unable to “re-install with saved settings” and
> the software suggested reinstalling Vista OS “from scratch”. Once I
> reinstalled the Vista however, it asked for original previous “full version”
> MS XP OS discs which I never had it since these discs did not come with the
> computer since it was already pre-installed by Hewlett-Packard Company.
> Sadly I never made a backup copy.
>
> Currently the Vista OS is running on “30 days to activiate” period. Several
> times I tried to authenticate OS with legally owned Vista and XP Product keys
> and it will not accept it and I am frustrated how to resolve this problem.
>
> Please advise me how to resolve this situation and in advance I thank you
> for assisting me to resolve this matter.
>
> David


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
Dominic Payer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
See http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp


"davidjb7" <davidjb7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:364C5154-F390-4100-BC7E-B7F3CE6504B0@microsoft.com...
> The computer was bought few years ago with pre-installed MS XP OS from
> Hewlett-Packard Company and at later date it was upgraded to Vista OS with
> Vista upgrade software purchased by me when it was first released.
>
> Few weeks ago, I come upon problems with my home-use computer and I need
> your assistance/advice.
>
> Recently, I encountered Vista operating system’s multiple problems,
> especially with networking (with another computer and laptop) that
> prompted
> me to re-install the Vista “Upgrade” OS software, hopefully to correct the
> problem. At that time, I was unable to “re-install with saved settings”
> and
> the software suggested reinstalling Vista OS “from scratch”. Once I
> reinstalled the Vista however, it asked for original previous “full
> version”
> MS XP OS discs which I never had it since these discs did not come with
> the
> computer since it was already pre-installed by Hewlett-Packard Company.
> Sadly I never made a backup copy.
>
> Currently the Vista OS is running on “30 days to activiate” period.
> Several
> times I tried to authenticate OS with legally owned Vista and XP Product
> keys
> and it will not accept it and I am frustrated how to resolve this problem.
>
> Please advise me how to resolve this situation and in advance I thank you
> for assisting me to resolve this matter.
>
> David


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
davidjb7
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it over the weekend when I am calmer <G>
Appreciate your time to response to me.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> See http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
>
>
> "davidjb7" <davidjb7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:364C5154-F390-4100-BC7E-B7F3CE6504B0@microsoft.com...
> > The computer was bought few years ago with pre-installed MS XP OS from
> > Hewlett-Packard Company and at later date it was upgraded to Vista OS with
> > Vista upgrade software purchased by me when it was first released.
> >
> > Few weeks ago, I come upon problems with my home-use computer and I need
> > your assistance/advice.
> >
> > Recently, I encountered Vista operating system’s multiple problems,
> > especially with networking (with another computer and laptop) that
> > prompted
> > me to re-install the Vista “Upgrade” OS software, hopefully to correct the
> > problem. At that time, I was unable to “re-install with saved settings”
> > and
> > the software suggested reinstalling Vista OS “from scratch”. Once I
> > reinstalled the Vista however, it asked for original previous “full
> > version”
> > MS XP OS discs which I never had it since these discs did not come with
> > the
> > computer since it was already pre-installed by Hewlett-Packard Company.
> > Sadly I never made a backup copy.
> >
> > Currently the Vista OS is running on “30 days to activiate” period.
> > Several
> > times I tried to authenticate OS with legally owned Vista and XP Product
> > keys
> > and it will not accept it and I am frustrated how to resolve this problem.
> >
> > Please advise me how to resolve this situation and in advance I thank you
> > for assisting me to resolve this matter.
> >
> > David

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
John Dearing
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
Carey Frisch wrote:
> You'll have to purchase a "full version" license for the edition of
> Windows Vista you installed.


NO, he most certainly doesn't.

Given his described scenario, the OP is absolutely a candidate for an
in-place upgrade. Since he was never given the media for the original
Windows XP installation and was only given a Vista Upgrade disk, he
needs to upgrade Vista from Vista.

See the other post that follows for a link to one site that shows you
how to do this.

Basically what you do is a clean install of Vista with the upgrade disk
but *don't* put in the product key when requested. This puts Vista in 30
day evaluation mode.

After Vista is installed and running, put the upgrade disk in again and
upgrade right over top of the existing Vista installation, this time
putting in the Product Key.

This is a perfectly ethical way for the OP to correct his problem.
Microsoft deliberately put this method of installing Vista into the
installation routine. Of course, any other use (abuse) would not be ethical.

The OP paid for and originally received an upgrade of Windows XP to
Windows Vista. The fact that the manufacturer decided to not supply
Windows XP recovery media is their fault/problem not the OP's.

John
--
John Dearing
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
davidjb7
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
John,

Thank you for your suggestion, your comment is similar to Dominic's
response. I appreciate your time to response back to me. I will try this
method over the weekend when I have more time as well as less tense <G>.
Again, Thanks. I will let you know how it went.

David

"John Dearing" wrote:

> Carey Frisch wrote:
> > You'll have to purchase a "full version" license for the edition of
> > Windows Vista you installed.

>
> NO, he most certainly doesn't.
>
> Given his described scenario, the OP is absolutely a candidate for an
> in-place upgrade. Since he was never given the media for the original
> Windows XP installation and was only given a Vista Upgrade disk, he
> needs to upgrade Vista from Vista.
>
> See the other post that follows for a link to one site that shows you
> how to do this.
>
> Basically what you do is a clean install of Vista with the upgrade disk
> but *don't* put in the product key when requested. This puts Vista in 30
> day evaluation mode.
>
> After Vista is installed and running, put the upgrade disk in again and
> upgrade right over top of the existing Vista installation, this time
> putting in the Product Key.
>
> This is a perfectly ethical way for the OP to correct his problem.
> Microsoft deliberately put this method of installing Vista into the
> installation routine. Of course, any other use (abuse) would not be ethical.
>
> The OP paid for and originally received an upgrade of Windows XP to
> Windows Vista. The fact that the manufacturer decided to not supply
> Windows XP recovery media is their fault/problem not the OP's.
>
> John
> --
> John Dearing
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
Carey Frisch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Windows Genuine Advantage will likely
flag this method as non-genuine because there is no qualifying Windows XP
license.


"John Dearing" <John.Dearing@VerYOURPANTSizon.net> wrote in message news:epbfccFcJHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Carey Frisch wrote:
>> You'll have to purchase a "full version" license for the edition of
>> Windows Vista you installed.

>
> NO, he most certainly doesn't.
>
> Given his described scenario, the OP is absolutely a candidate for an
> in-place upgrade. Since he was never given the media for the original
> Windows XP installation and was only given a Vista Upgrade disk, he
> needs to upgrade Vista from Vista.
>
> See the other post that follows for a link to one site that shows you
> how to do this.
>
> Basically what you do is a clean install of Vista with the upgrade disk
> but *don't* put in the product key when requested. This puts Vista in 30
> day evaluation mode.
>
> After Vista is installed and running, put the upgrade disk in again and
> upgrade right over top of the existing Vista installation, this time
> putting in the Product Key.
>
> This is a perfectly ethical way for the OP to correct his problem.
> Microsoft deliberately put this method of installing Vista into the
> installation routine. Of course, any other use (abuse) would not be ethical.
>
> The OP paid for and originally received an upgrade of Windows XP to
> Windows Vista. The fact that the manufacturer decided to not supply
> Windows XP recovery media is their fault/problem not the OP's.
>
> John
> --
> John Dearing

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
John Dearing
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
Carey Frisch wrote:
> Sorry, but you are incorrect. Windows Genuine Advantage will likely
> flag this method as non-genuine because there is no qualifying Windows XP
> license.
>
>
> "John Dearing" <John.Dearing@VerYOURPANTSizon.net> wrote in message
> news:epbfccFcJHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Carey Frisch wrote:
>>> You'll have to purchase a "full version" license for the edition of
>>> Windows Vista you installed.

>>
>> NO, he most certainly doesn't.


Carey,

please see:

http://www.windowssecrets.com/2008/0...d-in-Vista-SP1

as well as

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

as well as other sites that all have reported that this behavior by the
Vista installation process is indeed deliberately programmed that way by
Microsoft.

As the original poster noted, he has a legal license for Windows Vista
(as an upgrade from XP).

Windows Vista Upgrade is capable of upgrading from any "qualifying
product" which besides Windows XP also includes Vista itself.
Apparently, Microsoft foresaw possible problems with upgrades and built
in a way to allow an upgrade disk to install over top of itself.

Genuine Advantage will only look to see that the *currently running*
version of Windows is genuine. It has no way of knowing if a previously
installed version of Windows was genuine or not.

This method in Vista installation has been used by many people without
any activation or Genuine Advantage problems.

John
--
John Dearing
A+, Network+, Server+
To Reply, just drop "yourpants" from my address! 8-)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
John Dearing
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
Carey Frisch wrote:
> Sorry, but you are incorrect. Windows Genuine Advantage will likely
> flag this method as non-genuine because there is no qualifying Windows XP
> license.
>
>
> "John Dearing" <John.Dearing@VerYOURPANTSizon.net> wrote in message
> news:epbfccFcJHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Carey Frisch wrote:
>>> You'll have to purchase a "full version" license for the edition of
>>> Windows Vista you installed.

>>
>> NO, he most certainly doesn't.


Carey,

please see:

http://www.windowssecrets.com/2008/0...d-in-Vista-SP1

as well as

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

as well as other sites that all have reported that this behavior by the
Vista installation process is indeed deliberately programmed that way by
Microsoft.

As the original poster noted, he has a legal license for Windows Vista
(as an upgrade from XP).

Windows Vista Upgrade is capable of upgrading from any "qualifying
product" which besides Windows XP also includes Vista itself.
Apparently, Microsoft foresaw possible problems with upgrades and built
in a way to allow an upgrade disk to install over top of itself.

Genuine Advantage will only look to see that the *currently running*
version of Windows is genuine. It has no way of knowing if a previously
installed version of Windows was genuine or not.

This method in Vista installation has been used by many people without
any activation or Genuine Advantage problems.

John
--
John Dearing
A+, Network+, Server+
To Reply, just drop "yourpants" from my address! 8-)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
Carey Frisch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot Activiate Vista Product Key Number
The fact that one can work around a technical limitation doesn’t make the practice legal.

See:

The Vista license “loophole” that isn’t
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=420

and

More nonsense about Vista upgrades
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1909


"John Dearing" <John.Dearing@VerYOURPANTSizon.net> wrote in message news:eMBD6HIcJHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Carey Frisch wrote:
>> Sorry, but you are incorrect. Windows Genuine Advantage will likely
>> flag this method as non-genuine because there is no qualifying Windows XP
>> license.
>>
>>
>> "John Dearing" <John.Dearing@VerYOURPANTSizon.net> wrote in message news:epbfccFcJHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Carey Frisch wrote:
>>>> You'll have to purchase a "full version" license for the edition of
>>>> Windows Vista you installed.
>>>
>>> NO, he most certainly doesn't.

>
> Carey,
>
> please see:
>
> http://www.windowssecrets.com/2008/0...d-in-Vista-SP1
>
> as well as
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
>
> as well as other sites that all have reported that this behavior by the Vista installation process is indeed deliberately
> programmed that way by Microsoft.
>
> As the original poster noted, he has a legal license for Windows Vista (as an upgrade from XP).
>
> Windows Vista Upgrade is capable of upgrading from any "qualifying product" which besides Windows XP also includes Vista itself.
> Apparently, Microsoft foresaw possible problems with upgrades and built in a way to allow an upgrade disk to install over top of
> itself.
>
> Genuine Advantage will only look to see that the *currently running* version of Windows is genuine. It has no way of knowing if a
> previously installed version of Windows was genuine or not.
>
> This method in Vista installation has been used by many people without any activation or Genuine Advantage problems.
>
> John
> --
> John Dearing
> A+, Network+, Server+
> To Reply, just drop "yourpants" from my address! 8-)


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is Product Identification Number when Vista Installation Fails? norskarv Windows Vista General 1 12-05-2008 00:21
How do I get Product Identification Number when Vista won't instal norskarv microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 12-02-2008 12:26
Product ID Number Shonica Polite microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 09-13-2007 04:28
MS support doesn't recognize my Vista Product ID number David microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 3 08-21-2007 10:50
Product Number =?Utf-8?B?VG9tbW8=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 03-05-2007 09:31




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:07.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120