Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

lostoften

Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

I am trying to upgrade from XP SP3 to vista ultimate 32 bit. I got the
software from my school, and unfortunately they only offer an upgrade
not the full version. I have tried several times and it keeps failing at
the first reboot, after 21% of the way through "expanding files". It
brings up a BSOD that leaves the stop error: Stop 0x0000007B. However I
have followed the steps on the BSOD and have not had anysucess. I ran
virus scanner before disabling, have since completly removed virus
scanner. I had to remove Nero prior to it failing on the first attempt.
I ran CHKDSK /f, which did not show any problems. I have removed all
peripherals, including my soundcard to limit chances, and have tried
upgrading with out going online and getting updates. If i choose to have
it boot into XP, it boots just fine and does not have any issues. I also
ran the windows compatibility check prior to upgrading the first time,
which no issues were found.

Computer specs:
CPU: e6600
p5b-e or p5b-e + (I just had to RMA it a month ago, not sure which one
it is)
200 gig PATA hd
x1950xt
4 X 512mb ddr2 800

Any help would be appreciated.

--
lostoften
Airbot

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

lostoften;925509 Wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade from XP SP3 to vista ultimate 32 bit. I got the
> software from my school, and unfortunately they only offer an upgrade
> not the full version. I have tried several times and it keeps failing at
> the first reboot, after 21% of the way through "expanding files". It
> brings up a BSOD that leaves the stop error: Stop 0x0000007B. However I
> have followed the steps on the BSOD and have not had anysucess. I ran
> virus scanner before disabling, have since completly removed virus
> scanner. I had to remove Nero prior to it failing on the first attempt.
> I ran CHKDSK /f, which did not show any problems. I have removed all
> peripherals, including my soundcard to limit chances, and have tried
> upgrading with out going online and getting updates. If i choose to have
> it boot into XP, it boots just fine and does not have any issues. I also
> ran the windows compatibility check prior to upgrading the first time,
> which no issues were found.
>
> Computer specs:
> CPU: e6600
> p5b-e or p5b-e + (I just had to RMA it a month ago, not sure which one
> it is)
> 200 gig PATA hd
> x1950xt
> 4 X 512mb ddr2 800
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hi lostoften,

Maybe take a look at this.
'Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE'
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795508.aspx)

And read Brinks tutorial.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...sta.html?ltr=C

--
Airbot

If I helped you then you can click on the scales arty:
If you helped me then Thank You.
Aaron
Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

Try the above; clean install from upgrade Disk
--
Mad Mike

"lostoften" wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade from XP SP3 to vista ultimate 32 bit. I got the
> software from my school, and unfortunately they only offer an upgrade
> not the full version. I have tried several times and it keeps failing at
> the first reboot, after 21% of the way through "expanding files". It
> brings up a BSOD that leaves the stop error: Stop 0x0000007B. However I
> have followed the steps on the BSOD and have not had anysucess. I ran
> virus scanner before disabling, have since completly removed virus
> scanner. I had to remove Nero prior to it failing on the first attempt.
> I ran CHKDSK /f, which did not show any problems. I have removed all
> peripherals, including my soundcard to limit chances, and have tried
> upgrading with out going online and getting updates. If i choose to have
> it boot into XP, it boots just fine and does not have any issues. I also
> ran the windows compatibility check prior to upgrading the first time,
> which no issues were found.
>
> Computer specs:
> CPU: e6600
> p5b-e or p5b-e + (I just had to RMA it a month ago, not sure which one
> it is)
> 200 gig PATA hd
> x1950xt
> 4 X 512mb ddr2 800
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> --
> lostoften

lostoften

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

Thanks,

I ended up just installing a a new SATA hard drive, up and running in
vista. Just need to recoonect my PATA hard drive. That install guide is
great.

--
lostoften

lostoften

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

Well back to the BSOD after installing my old drive back in. Ugh. Also,
has there been any resolve to the issues with x1950xt and vista. I tried
launching media player and it rebooted. According to ATI it knows about
saphire cards causing this whenever a 3D application is launced. I
searched ati's website and they said they were working on it.
Unfortunately, last update to the page was a year ago. Windows installed
some more updates after i shut down, before getting the BSOD. Crossing
my fingers that an update may have fixed that.

--
lostoften
lostoften

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

Well back into vista. The PATA drive was still set as the 1st drive in
bios, so changed that. And was able to get vista to boot. now just for
the grahics card issues.

--
lostoften
lostoften

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

I just downloaded the lastest ati driver, and think this may have
resolved the issue. Ati must not have updated their ticket page

--
lostoften

lostoften

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista Ultimate failed

The issues keep coming though. My speaker channels are crossed and there
is no bass. I have downloaded the latest driver and creative console
launcher, yet am still having issues. I have a X-Fi Fatality sound card.

--
lostoften