Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2008
none@nowhere.org
 

Posts: n/a
XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?
Hello all,
I have XP and Vista in dual boot on one disk. I've been running them
both while I configured Vista with all the old apps that accumulated
on XP over the years. Now that Vista seems to be running everything
properly, I'd like to remove the XP partiiton. Specifically XP is on
the first partition, and Vista on the second.

My plan is to ghost images of both for safekeeping, then use
partitioning software to remove the existing partitions and creat a
new, larger, one for Vista. Then ghost the Vista image back to the
new partition.

Now, I expect to have a problem booting immediately because the Vista
image won't have a proper boot loader when it's the only bootable
partition. So, to correct this, I planned to use the "Boot Repair"
option on the Vista setup disk.

My question is: Will this work, and if not, what would be the best
approach?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2008
philo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?

"Steve R" <none@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:6mtnk4tu9rskdvhrr3foe984im2k936m9k@4ax.com...
> Hello all,
> I have XP and Vista in dual boot on one disk. I've been running them
> both while I configured Vista with all the old apps that accumulated
> on XP over the years. Now that Vista seems to be running everything
> properly, I'd like to remove the XP partiiton. Specifically XP is on
> the first partition, and Vista on the second.
>
> My plan is to ghost images of both for safekeeping, then use
> partitioning software to remove the existing partitions and creat a
> new, larger, one for Vista. Then ghost the Vista image back to the
> new partition.
>
> Now, I expect to have a problem booting immediately because the Vista
> image won't have a proper boot loader when it's the only bootable
> partition. So, to correct this, I planned to use the "Boot Repair"
> option on the Vista setup disk.
>
> My question is: Will this work, and if not, what would be the best
> approach?
>
> Thanks in advance


I don't believe that's a viable option
as I assume Vista is on your D: drive now.

If you delete the entire drive and recreate as one...then
restore the image of Vista back to it
even if you can get the boot loader repaired, the drive reference will be
wrong
and your system will be unusable.

What I'd do is simply delete the folders on the XP drive,
then shrink the C: drive and use the free space to expand your Vista drive.

You'll just end up with a small C: drive reserved just for your "boot" files


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
dinesh
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?

none;915209 Wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have XP and Vista in dual boot on one disk. I've been running them
> both while I configured Vista with all the old apps that accumulated
> on XP over the years. Now that Vista seems to be running everything
> properly, I'd like to remove the XP partiiton. Specifically XP is on
> the first partition, and Vista on the second.
>
> My plan is to ghost images of both for safekeeping, then use
> partitioning software to remove the existing partitions and creat a
> new, larger, one for Vista. Then ghost the Vista image back to the
> new partition.
>
> Now, I expect to have a problem booting immediately because the Vista
> image won't have a proper boot loader when it's the only bootable
> partition. So, to correct this, I planned to use the "Boot Repair"
> option on the Vista setup disk.
>
> My question is: Will this work, and if not, what would be the best
> approach?
>
> Thanks in advance


Please do not try this... It did not work for me.. i had the same
partitions and i tried to remove xp but when the computer restarts, it
gives an error, Disk read error occured!


--
dinesh

Hope that works ! ! !
Dinesh.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
none@nowhere.org
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:25:31 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>I don't believe that's a viable option
>as I assume Vista is on your D: drive now.
>
>If you delete the entire drive and recreate as one...then
>restore the image of Vista back to it
>even if you can get the boot loader repaired, the drive reference will be
>wrong
>and your system will be unusable.


XP is installed in the first partition on the physical disk, Vista is
in the second. There's unpartitioned space after Vista.

When XP is running, Vista's partition does not have a drive letter
assigned so it's essentiallly invisible to XP outside of Disk Manager.
When Vista is running, its own partition is C: The XP partition
becomes D: and cannot be changed or unassigned.

The drive letters would be okay in my proposed solution.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
none@nowhere.org
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:33:00 -0600, dinesh <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Please do not try this... It did not work for me.. i had the same
>partitions and i tried to remove xp but when the computer restarts, it
>gives an error, Disk read error occured!


That's exactly what I'd expect if you tried to boot off the restored
Vista partition. It can't boot because Vista's boot loader was
located on the XP partition, and that's now gone!

However, there's a untlity on the Vista setup disk that repairs the
boot loader. I've played with it a few times already in the process
of setting up this dual boot configuration. I've wiped out Vista
completely at least twice, and restored XP from a pre-Vista image
once, which, naturally, didn't have the boot loader. Vista was still
there on the second partition, but inaccessible. Running the boot
loader repair utility restored everything necessary to dual-boot
again.

That's why I suspect that my plan can work, but unfortunately haven't
tested thisi particular scenario.

Thanks for the words of warning though.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
philo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?

<none@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:ma9pk4laots66n1u1d9qi4ge4cd116chvr@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:25:31 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> >I don't believe that's a viable option
> >as I assume Vista is on your D: drive now.
> >
> >If you delete the entire drive and recreate as one...then
> >restore the image of Vista back to it
> >even if you can get the boot loader repaired, the drive reference will be
> >wrong
> >and your system will be unusable.

>
> XP is installed in the first partition on the physical disk, Vista is
> in the second. There's unpartitioned space after Vista.
>
> When XP is running, Vista's partition does not have a drive letter
> assigned so it's essentiallly invisible to XP outside of Disk Manager.
> When Vista is running, its own partition is C: The XP partition
> becomes D: and cannot be changed or unassigned.
>
> The drive letters would be okay in my proposed solution.



Then it looks like it should work...
but to be on the safe side, I'd clone the entire drive first!


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?
Hi,

This article is about recovering the boot after installing XP as a dual
boot, but the steps necessary are the same:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Steve R" <none@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:6mtnk4tu9rskdvhrr3foe984im2k936m9k@4ax.com...
> Hello all,
> I have XP and Vista in dual boot on one disk. I've been running them
> both while I configured Vista with all the old apps that accumulated
> on XP over the years. Now that Vista seems to be running everything
> properly, I'd like to remove the XP partiiton. Specifically XP is on
> the first partition, and Vista on the second.
>
> My plan is to ghost images of both for safekeeping, then use
> partitioning software to remove the existing partitions and creat a
> new, larger, one for Vista. Then ghost the Vista image back to the
> new partition.
>
> Now, I expect to have a problem booting immediately because the Vista
> image won't have a proper boot loader when it's the only bootable
> partition. So, to correct this, I planned to use the "Boot Repair"
> option on the Vista setup disk.
>
> My question is: Will this work, and if not, what would be the best
> approach?
>
> Thanks in advance


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
GrahamH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?
Why not just leave XP on there?
It may be useful at some time if only for test purposes.
If your running low on disk space on Vista then remove all software and
utilities from XP, shrink the partition down then resize the Vista partition
from the free space you gained.
Just a thought.
Graham....
>
>




"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:OmpPEqqYJHA.6108@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> This article is about recovering the boot after installing XP as a dual
> boot, but the steps necessary are the same:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Steve R" <none@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> news:6mtnk4tu9rskdvhrr3foe984im2k936m9k@4ax.com...
>> Hello all,
>> I have XP and Vista in dual boot on one disk. I've been running them
>> both while I configured Vista with all the old apps that accumulated
>> on XP over the years. Now that Vista seems to be running everything
>> properly, I'd like to remove the XP partiiton. Specifically XP is on
>> the first partition, and Vista on the second.
>>
>> My plan is to ghost images of both for safekeeping, then use
>> partitioning software to remove the existing partitions and creat a
>> new, larger, one for Vista. Then ghost the Vista image back to the
>> new partition.
>>
>> Now, I expect to have a problem booting immediately because the Vista
>> image won't have a proper boot loader when it's the only bootable
>> partition. So, to correct this, I planned to use the "Boot Repair"
>> option on the Vista setup disk.
>>
>> My question is: Will this work, and if not, what would be the best
>> approach?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
Steve R
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 08:54:39 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This article is about recovering the boot after installing XP as a dual
>boot, but the steps necessary are the same:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529


Good article. Thanks!

To everyone who's replied -- I'm gonna do an experiment:

Clone the Vista partition onto an unused disk. Disconnect all the
drives, and substitute the cloned Vista. See if it works after
repairing the boot loader. If it does, then the plan to remove XP
will work, if not, then I'll take Graham's suggestion and just shrink
XP down to a minimum and ignore it.

I'll post back with the results for future reference.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP & Vista Dual Boot ---> Vista only. How?
Since you did have a D partition in Vista, I would run a scan of the
registry to see if you have any references to that drive. Use regedit. You
will have some, like in mounted devices. Make sure none seem critical.

<none@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:ma9pk4laots66n1u1d9qi4ge4cd116chvr@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:25:31 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>I don't believe that's a viable option
>>as I assume Vista is on your D: drive now.
>>
>>If you delete the entire drive and recreate as one...then
>>restore the image of Vista back to it
>>even if you can get the boot loader repaired, the drive reference will be
>>wrong
>>and your system will be unusable.

>
> XP is installed in the first partition on the physical disk, Vista is
> in the second. There's unpartitioned space after Vista.
>
> When XP is running, Vista's partition does not have a drive letter
> assigned so it's essentiallly invisible to XP outside of Disk Manager.
> When Vista is running, its own partition is C: The XP partition
> becomes D: and cannot be changed or unassigned.
>
> The drive letters would be okay in my proposed solution.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting back a Vista boot after removing Linux (dual-boot GRUB menu) Rob microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 05-18-2008 19:41
ActiveSync ruined my dual-boot - how to restore Vista boot order? lawless314 microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 02-29-2008 06:29
Dual Boot partendo da XP installato su HD boot per mettere ... VISTA Duncan microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 5 07-21-2007 09:59
Vista/XP Dual Boot - Keep Vista Restore Pts w/o Boot Mngt Program Charlye microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 3 05-30-2007 14:43
Removing Vista from a dual boot w/XP: fixmbr/fixboot not restoring boot.ini Dan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 02-28-2007 21:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:29.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120