SSID broadcast (or not)

charles cashion

SSID broadcast (or not)
A recent publication suggested that the first step to wireless
protection was to turn off the router broadcast. I tried it and
it appears to work. But the next time I rebooted, Windows Vista
Home Premium would not connect to the router. I did not realize
the problem until I rebooted. After turning off the broadcast,
my computer continued to maintain internet access.

Now, when I try to make connection, my own SSID is not on the
list, and I cannot find a place to enter my SSID.

Surely I am not the first person to experience this situation.

Q: Where do I tell WVHP that my router is there and it has
a SSID?
--cc
Malke

Re: SSID broadcast (or not)
charles cashion wrote:

> A recent publication suggested that the first step to wireless
> protection was to turn off the router broadcast. I tried it and
> it appears to work. But the next time I rebooted, Windows Vista
> Home Premium would not connect to the router. I did not realize
> the problem until I rebooted. After turning off the broadcast,
> my computer continued to maintain internet access.

This has misconception has been around for a very long time. Not
broadcasting your SSID will *not* provide you any security and will cause
networking problems. As you have now found out. What you *should* do is not
leave the router's SSID at the default. Name your SSID something
recognizable and broadcast. I don't recommend using your family name just
because you don't need your whole neighborhood to know that network is
yours. For example, you might wish to name your wireless network
"CastleAnthrax" or the like. ;-)

Don't forget to change the default password that lets you into the router's
configuration utility, too.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Curious

Re: SSID broadcast (or not)
Turn on SSID Broadcast and connect and then go to:
Control Panel/Network and Sharing/Manage Warless Networks/Right click your
SSID select properties.
Turn SSID broadcast off.
Also suggest you change your router password in case someone else does
connect to your router.
"charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>A recent publication suggested that the first step to wireless
> protection was to turn off the router broadcast. I tried it and
> it appears to work. But the next time I rebooted, Windows Vista
> Home Premium would not connect to the router. I did not realize
> the problem until I rebooted. After turning off the broadcast,
> my computer continued to maintain internet access.
>
> Now, when I try to make connection, my own SSID is not on the
> list, and I cannot find a place to enter my SSID.
>
> Surely I am not the first person to experience this situation.
>
> Q: Where do I tell WVHP that my router is there and it has
> a SSID?
> --cc

Malke

Re: SSID broadcast (or not)
Curious wrote:

> Turn SSID broadcast off.

No. Again, it is a misconception that turning off SSID broadcasting will be
more secure. This simply isn't true.

http://blogs.technet.com/steriley/ar...ess-ssids.aspx

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Curious

Re: SSID broadcast (or not)
I never said it would be more secure and I know it would not be since on
several occasions I have connected to neighbors wireless which have their
SSID broadcast turned off when my router is disabled.
> Curious wrote:
>

>> Turn SSID broadcast off.

> No. Again, it is a misconception that turning off SSID broadcasting will
> be
> more secure. This simply isn't true.
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/steriley/ar...ess-ssids.aspx
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Paul Smith

Re: SSID broadcast (or not)
I'd suggest leaving SSID on, hiding it provides no protection.

The only thing I'd advice you to do is NOT use WEP protection, and use WPA
instead. If you've got an option under WPA for TKIP or AES, use AES as its
more secure.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.