user accounts - can't login

mgeller142

user accounts - can't login

Help! I have a number of user accounts in vista that aren't
administrator accounts, and I can't get into any of them. When I click
on the icon at the startup screen, it just waits a second, says "logging
off" and goes back to the startup screen. I tried creating a new one,
but that also doesn't work - same thing happens. I did try installing a
trial version of a child timer program for vista, but uninstalled it b/c
it didn't work, which may be the source of this problem. It also may be
SP1, which I installed around the same time as well. Help?

--
mgeller142
roy69

Re: user accounts - can't login

Have you tried logging in in safe mode?
Try it as this will enable you to sort out your problems.

--
roy69
mgeller142

Re: user accounts - can't login

not sure what you mean - I can login with my admin account, it's just
when I go and try to login with the other accounts that it just says
"logging off" - including any new account I create. How do I get into
safe mode, do you think it will it help this problem, and how?

--
mgeller142
roy69

Re: user accounts - can't login

'Tutorials - Vista Forums'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/?filter)[11]=User%20Accounts

The link above may be able to help.
It is the tutorials on Vistax64 for user accounts.

--
roy69
Rick Rogers

Re: user accounts - can't login
Hi,

It's not SP1, if it were that'd be a huge bug affecting millions of users.
What you likely have is a damaged userinit string in the registry. You
mentioned non-admin accounts, does this mean you are able to log in with an
admin account? If so, it will make the next steps easier. Otherwise, you'll
need to work from a utility disk like BartPE.

Essentially, what I suspect is this string:

C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,

in the userinit string under this key in the registry:

It should end with the comma, but I'll wager it's been appended by something
else.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mgeller142" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Help! I have a number of user accounts in vista that aren't
> administrator accounts, and I can't get into any of them. When I click
> on the icon at the startup screen, it just waits a second, says "logging
> off" and goes back to the startup screen. I tried creating a new one,
> but that also doesn't work - same thing happens. I did try installing a
> trial version of a child timer program for vista, but uninstalled it b/c
> it didn't work, which may be the source of this problem. It also may be
> SP1, which I installed around the same time as well. Help?
>

> --
> mgeller142

Brink

Re: user accounts - can't login

mgeller142;905163 Wrote:
> Help! I have a number of user accounts in vista that aren't
> administrator accounts, and I can't get into any of them. When I click
> on the icon at the startup screen, it just waits a second, says "logging
> off" and goes back to the startup screen. I tried creating a new one,
> but that also doesn't work - same thing happens. I did try installing a
> trial version of a child timer program for vista, but uninstalled it b/c
> it didn't work, which may be the source of this problem. It also may be
> SP1, which I installed around the same time as well. Help?

Hello Mgeller,

You might see if doing a System Restore using Method Two in the
tutorial below with a restore point dated before this problem can fix
this for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn