Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD

phxpoet

Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD

I got all the final parts for my new computer today. Put together all
the hardware relatively easily. Went into the BIOS to set it to load
from my optical drive first, then I popped in the Vista disc and
rebooted so the OS setup started.

Everything was fine up until it asked me to specify where to install
Vista and it told me it couldn't find any hard drives, even though I
have a WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. The HDD is also recognized by my BIOS.

Basically it's telling me I need the drivers for my HDD, but I bought
it OEM so there was no disc that came with the HDD itself. So it said I
had to create something like a mass storage location for the OS.

First thing I tried was disconnecting and reconnecting the SATA data
and power cables, which didn't work.

I Googled around and read something uploading the SATA drivers from my
motherboard installation disc, which I have. So during Vista setup I
popped that in, browsed the drive contents and found the folder with the
SATA drivers. After all that, it still told me that no drivers could be
found.

Next I tried going to the Western Digital site and downloading the Data
Lifeguard Tools. I installed those onto a folder, put the folder on a
USB drive, then started the OS installation over again. Essentially I
tried with the USB drive what I tried with the motherboard installation
disc. Found the right folder but again it says no drivers were found.

Next, I downloaded all the appropriate drivers I could find from the
manufacturers' Web sites and put them on the USB drive as well. They
aren't listed under those compatible with the hardware unless I changed
the OnChip SATA Type in the Integrated Peripheral Settings in my BIOS
from IDE to AHCI. Using the AHCI setting also allows me to see the HDD
in my BIOS, but it isn't listed as an AHCI device during the little AHCI
Device Detection Screen.

When I set the OnChip SATA Type to IDE, there's no AHCI Device
Detection Screen and the HDD shows up in my BIOS, but when I enter Vista
setup, it won't show the drivers off the USB drive unless I click off
the option to ignore drivers that aren't compatible with the hardware.

There's a couple things I haven't tired yet: 1) While keeping the boot
disk priority to Optical Drive first, put in my motherboard installation
disc rather than the Visa installation disc (this is just something I
pulled out of my [censored] so really not sure it'll work). 2) Use the
downloadable tools off of Western Digitial's site to set up the HDD on
another computer: essentially, create and format a bootable partition
using a system that already has an OS.

Thoughts?

--
phxpoet
philo

Re: Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD

"phxpoet" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I got all the final parts for my new computer today. Put together all
> the hardware relatively easily. Went into the BIOS to set it to load
> from my optical drive first, then I popped in the Vista disc and
> rebooted so the OS setup started.
>
> Everything was fine up until it asked me to specify where to install
> Vista and it told me it couldn't find any hard drives, even though I
> have a WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
> SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. The HDD is also recognized by my BIOS.
>
> Basically it's telling me I need the drivers for my HDD, but I bought
> it OEM so there was no disc that came with the HDD itself. So it said I
> had to create something like a mass storage location for the OS.
>
> First thing I tried was disconnecting and reconnecting the SATA data
> and power cables, which didn't work.
>
> I Googled around and read something uploading the SATA drivers from my
> motherboard installation disc, which I have. So during Vista setup I
> popped that in, browsed the drive contents and found the folder with the
> SATA drivers. After all that, it still told me that no drivers could be
> found.
>
> Next I tried going to the Western Digital site and downloading the Data
> Lifeguard Tools. I installed those onto a folder, put the folder on a
> USB drive, then started the OS installation over again. Essentially I
> tried with the USB drive what I tried with the motherboard installation
> disc. Found the right folder but again it says no drivers were found.
>
> Next, I downloaded all the appropriate drivers I could find from the
> manufacturers' Web sites and put them on the USB drive as well. They
> aren't listed under those compatible with the hardware unless I changed
> the OnChip SATA Type in the Integrated Peripheral Settings in my BIOS
> from IDE to AHCI. Using the AHCI setting also allows me to see the HDD
> in my BIOS, but it isn't listed as an AHCI device during the little AHCI
> Device Detection Screen.
>
> When I set the OnChip SATA Type to IDE, there's no AHCI Device
> Detection Screen and the HDD shows up in my BIOS, but when I enter Vista
> setup, it won't show the drivers off the USB drive unless I click off
> the option to ignore drivers that aren't compatible with the hardware.
>
> There's a couple things I haven't tired yet: 1) While keeping the boot
> disk priority to Optical Drive first, put in my motherboard installation
> disc rather than the Visa installation disc (this is just something I
> pulled out of my [censored] so really not sure it'll work). 2) Use the
> downloadable tools off of Western Digitial's site to set up the HDD on
> another computer: essentially, create and format a bootable partition
> using a system that already has an OS.
>
> Thoughts?

See my answer to the previous post

phxpoet

Re: Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD

Can you be more specific? Because I've tried just about everything
except for hooking up the HDD to another computer and using the HDD
setup tools from Western Digital's site.

--
phxpoet
Curious

Re: Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD
Is you HDD connected to SATA port #1 on your MOBO?
Apparently the new HDD does not yet have a active partition installed.

> Can you be more specific? Because I've tried just about everything
> except for hooking up the HDD to another computer and using the HDD
> setup tools from Western Digital's site.
>

> --
> phxpoet

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD
"phxpoet" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Can you be more specific? Because I've tried just about everything
> except for hooking up the HDD to another computer and using the HDD
> setup tools from Western Digital's site.
>

> --
> phxpoet

Go into BIOS and enable SATA support..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

phxpoet

Re: Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD

No I had the SATA data cable hooked up to the SATA2_4 port, since when I
enable AHCI, it only shows the HDD IDE Master/Slave controllers for 0
and 1, which correspond as such:

IDE Controller Master 0 - IDE port 1
IDE Controller Slave 0 - IDE port 2

(Those don't show any devices attached since I'm using only SATA ports,
I suppose)

IDE Controller Master 1 - SATA2_4 port
IDE Controller Slave 1 - SATA2_5 port
IDE Controller Master 2 - SATA2_0 port
IDE Controller Slave 2 - SATA2_1 port
IDE Controller Master 3 - SATA2_2 port
IDE Controller Slave 3 - SATA2_3 port

--
phxpoet
phxpoet

Mike Hall - MVP;904361 Wrote:
> "phxpoet" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:86dc3e272b2fdc48220db61c473b3623@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Can you be more specific? Because I've tried just about everything
> > > except for hooking up the HDD to another computer and using the HDD
> > > setup tools from Western Digital's site.
> > >

> > > --
> > > phxpoet > >

> Go into BIOS and enable SATA support..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> 'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:'
> (http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm)
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> 'How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc)
> Mike's Window - My Blog..
> 'Mike's Window' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx)

I tried that.

It will list my HDD as one of the AHCI devices on the quick AHCI
detection screen but won't list it in the BIOS.

--
phxpoet
philo

Re: Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD

"phxpoet" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Can you be more specific? Because I've tried just about everything
> except for hooking up the HDD to another computer and using the HDD
> setup tools from Western Digital's site.

Though I cannot be more specific.

All you need do is consult the manual for your mobo.

I am sure it will give you the *exact* procedure.

If you do not have the book...just go to the mfg's website an download one.

phxpoet

philo;904649 Wrote:
> "phxpoet" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:86dc3e272b2fdc48220db61c473b3623@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Can you be more specific? Because I've tried just about everything
> > > except for hooking up the HDD to another computer and using the HDD
> > > setup tools from Western Digital's site.
> > > > >

> Though I cannot be more specific.
>
> All you need do is consult the manual for your mobo.
>
> I am sure it will give you the *exact* procedure.
>
> If you do not have the book...just go to the mfg's website an
> download one.

Mobo manual says to put the drivers on a USB drive and load them during
Vista setup. Tried that I don't know how many time and it doesn't work.

--
phxpoet
Curious

Re: Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD
Then I suggest connecting it to the SATA #1 port. I had to that with my
MOBO when I upgraded to Vista.