OEM vs. Retail

DanD

OEM vs. Retail
Hello all,
I'm building a new computer and was wondering what the difference between
the OEM and Retail version of Vista home premium is?There is a substancial
dollar difference but what else?

Thanks,
DanD

mansrm81

Re: OEM vs. Retail

OEM will be tied to your motherboard and when the motherboard dies the
os is suppose to die too. Retail is you can install on to any computer
but you can't use 2 computers with the same key.

--
mansrm81

If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep . Click on
the scales. [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/members/mans...-untitled.jpg]
Mick Murphy

RE: OEM vs. Retail
Version wise(Home Premium, etc), there is absolutely no difference between
OEM and Retail.

Once you instal the OEM version, it is tied to that computer for the life of
the computer.
And then the licence dies with the dead computer!
Non-transferable.
And, you are also NOT supposed to upgrade the Hardware during the life of
the computer.
Also, no microsoft support for OEM, lol.

Retail, you can transfer licence to another computer, if the 1st computer
dies, or you decide to upgrade to a better one.
You can also upgrade hardware in original, and reactivate with a phone call.
3 or 6? months support from Microsoft(sorry, I only use OEM!).

And if you buy Retail 32bit, you can get the 64bit version from MS for
postage cost.
OEM 32bit, you have to buy 64bit version.
--
Mad Mike

"DanD" wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm building a new computer and was wondering what the difference between
> the OEM and Retail version of Vista home premium is?There is a substancial
> dollar difference but what else?
>
> Thanks,
> DanD

DevilsPGD

Re: OEM vs. Retail
In message <7K6Vk.674$ve.298@newsfe23.iad> "DanD" <dedley@coxx.net> was
claimed to have wrote:

>Hello all,
>I'm building a new computer and was wondering what the difference between
>the OEM and Retail version of Vista home premium is?There is a substancial
>dollar difference but what else?

Support and license policy.

The full version includes support from Microsoft, and can be transferred
from one piece of hardware to another.

The OEM version is only supported by the OEM (in other words, you
support yourself) and is tied to the first computer it is installed on
and cannot be transferred.
Mark H

Re: OEM vs. Retail
While these statements indicate the OEM version is tied to the first
computer it is installed upon, it would be more correct to state the first
computer upon which it is activated upon. (You can install to your heart's
content. But, as with any version, it ain't valid until it's activated.)

Only live support from MS will be limited. Knowlege base, newgroups and
forums are still available.

Lastly, you can upgrade any piece of hardware you want with the OEM version,
including the motherboard, but at some point the amount of change will be
considered a new computer and trigger the requirement for re-activation (and
MS does not have to provide the activation string to keep it alive per the
license if it is not the original make-up of the machine.) Typically, this
is a fairly significant amount of change, although a new motherboard is
almost always guaranteed to trip the wire. In the event re-activation is
required, a phone call to the activation center stating a broken part was
replaced and this is the only computer with this PID in use will get it
reactivated. (I've swapped out graphics cards, added memory and a DVD player
and not triggered the event.)

"DanD" <dedley@coxx.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I'm building a new computer and was wondering what the difference between
> the OEM and Retail version of Vista home premium is?There is a

substancial
> dollar difference but what else?
>
> Thanks,
> DanD

John Barnes

Re: OEM vs. Retail
You are free to upgrade any hardware except the MOBO (except if the MOBO
dies) during the life of the install. You may have to re-activate.

> Version wise(Home Premium, etc), there is absolutely no difference between
> OEM and Retail.
>
> Once you instal the OEM version, it is tied to that computer for the life
> of
> the computer.
> And then the licence dies with the dead computer!
> Non-transferable.
> And, you are also NOT supposed to upgrade the Hardware during the life of
> the computer.
> Also, no microsoft support for OEM, lol.
>
> Retail, you can transfer licence to another computer, if the 1st computer
> dies, or you decide to upgrade to a better one.
> You can also upgrade hardware in original, and reactivate with a phone
> call.
> 3 or 6? months support from Microsoft(sorry, I only use OEM!).
>
> And if you buy Retail 32bit, you can get the 64bit version from MS for
> postage cost.
> OEM 32bit, you have to buy 64bit version.
> --
> Mad Mike
>

> "DanD" wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> I'm building a new computer and was wondering what the difference between
>> the OEM and Retail version of Vista home premium is?There is a
>> substancial
>> dollar difference but what else?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> DanD

DanD

Re: OEM vs. Retail

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> While these statements indicate the OEM version is tied to the first
> computer it is installed upon, it would be more correct to state the first
> computer upon which it is activated upon. (You can install to your heart's
> content. But, as with any version, it ain't valid until it's activated.)
>
> Only live support from MS will be limited. Knowlege base, newgroups and
> forums are still available.
>
> Lastly, you can upgrade any piece of hardware you want with the OEM
> version,
> including the motherboard, but at some point the amount of change will be
> considered a new computer and trigger the requirement for re-activation
> (and
> MS does not have to provide the activation string to keep it alive per the
> license if it is not the original make-up of the machine.) Typically, this
> is a fairly significant amount of change, although a new motherboard is
> almost always guaranteed to trip the wire. In the event re-activation is
> required, a phone call to the activation center stating a broken part was
> replaced and this is the only computer with this PID in use will get it
> reactivated. (I've swapped out graphics cards, added memory and a DVD
> player
> and not triggered the event.)

Alright,I guess the OEM version it is,I can't see Microsoft's extra support
as being worth the extra $130 or so.. :-)
Thanks for all the quick responses.
DanD

John Barnes

Re: OEM vs. Retail
On a recent computer, that is the best way to go for someone who can do
their own troubleshooting and/or find help here. Older machines which would
be replaced before Windows 7 comes out would be best off with the Retail,
generally.

> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> While these statements indicate the OEM version is tied to the first
>> computer it is installed upon, it would be more correct to state the
>> first
>> computer upon which it is activated upon. (You can install to your
>> heart's
>> content. But, as with any version, it ain't valid until it's activated.)
>>
>> Only live support from MS will be limited. Knowlege base, newgroups and
>> forums are still available.
>>
>> Lastly, you can upgrade any piece of hardware you want with the OEM
>> version,
>> including the motherboard, but at some point the amount of change will be
>> considered a new computer and trigger the requirement for re-activation
>> (and
>> MS does not have to provide the activation string to keep it alive per
>> the
>> license if it is not the original make-up of the machine.) Typically,
>> this
>> is a fairly significant amount of change, although a new motherboard is
>> almost always guaranteed to trip the wire. In the event re-activation is
>> required, a phone call to the activation center stating a broken part was
>> replaced and this is the only computer with this PID in use will get it
>> reactivated. (I've swapped out graphics cards, added memory and a DVD
>> player
>> and not triggered the event.)
>>

> Alright,I guess the OEM version it is,I can't see Microsoft's extra
> support as being worth the extra $130 or so.. :-)
> Thanks for all the quick responses.
> DanD

Curious

Re: OEM vs. Retail
AFAIK with the OEM version you can not upgrade/replace the MOBO unless you
are replacing it with same MOBO as first activated on due to MOBO failure
"DanD" <dedley@coxx.net> wrote in message

> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> While these statements indicate the OEM version is tied to the first
>> computer it is installed upon, it would be more correct to state the
>> first
>> computer upon which it is activated upon. (You can install to your
>> heart's
>> content. But, as with any version, it ain't valid until it's activated.)
>>
>> Only live support from MS will be limited. Knowlege base, newgroups and
>> forums are still available.
>>
>> Lastly, you can upgrade any piece of hardware you want with the OEM
>> version,
>> including the motherboard, but at some point the amount of change will be
>> considered a new computer and trigger the requirement for re-activation
>> (and
>> MS does not have to provide the activation string to keep it alive per
>> the
>> license if it is not the original make-up of the machine.) Typically,
>> this
>> is a fairly significant amount of change, although a new motherboard is
>> almost always guaranteed to trip the wire. In the event re-activation is
>> required, a phone call to the activation center stating a broken part was
>> replaced and this is the only computer with this PID in use will get it
>> reactivated. (I've swapped out graphics cards, added memory and a DVD
>> player
>> and not triggered the event.)
>>

> Alright,I guess the OEM version it is,I can't see Microsoft's extra
> support as being worth the extra $130 or so.. :-)
> Thanks for all the quick responses.
> DanD

Mick Murphy

Re: OEM vs. Retail
John, I wrote that to give the OP the extreme interpretation of reading the
EULA.
And you can upgrade the Mobo; you know that.
Depends on what you say to MS!

--
Mad Mike