Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64

libetter

Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64

My laptop has an error when starting and it need an installation program
to repair. However, I put an x86 Vista Home Premium instead of x64. Can
I restore it to x64?

--
libetter
Rick Rogers

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64
Hi,

You can't repair an x64 installation with an x86 disk.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"libetter" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> My laptop has an error when starting and it need an installation program
> to repair. However, I put an x86 Vista Home Premium instead of x64. Can
> I restore it to x64?
>

> --
> libetter

Richard Urban

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64
You are saying that you originally had 64 bit but you tried to redo with a
32 bit version of Vista?

If you did a clean install with the 32 bit version the 64 bit version is now
gone. You will need the 64 bit version of Vista to get back where you were.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"libetter" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> My laptop has an error when starting and it need an installation program
> to repair. However, I put an x86 Vista Home Premium instead of x64. Can
> I restore it to x64?
>

> --
> libetter

libetter

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64

Windows said that it was updating to x86. All the Windows x64 is put in
Windows.old. Is it possible to restore?

--
libetter
Richard Urban

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64
No. You will have to do a clean install using a 64 bit operating system DVD.

--

> Windows said that it was updating to x86. All the Windows x64 is put in
> Windows.old. Is it possible to restore?
>

> --
> libetter

libetter

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64

Thank you for reading and answering my question. I'm using a Vaio
laptop, and this is the first time I use. So, I don't know how to
restore. Now, the problem has been solved. Thanks again.

To restore, I use Sony Recovery Center which I think it won't work in
x86 environment.

--
libetter
Rick Rogers

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64
Hi,

If the windows.old still exists, then yes. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"libetter" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Windows said that it was updating to x86. All the Windows x64 is put in
> Windows.old. Is it possible to restore?
>

> --
> libetter

Richard Urban

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64
This will restore 64 bit over 32 bit? I learned something new today. (-:

--

> Hi,
>
> If the windows.old still exists, then yes. See:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "libetter" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Windows said that it was updating to x86. All the Windows x64 is put in
>> Windows.old. Is it possible to restore?
>>

>> --
>> libetter

Rick Rogers

Re: Restore from Windows Vista Home Pre x86 to x64
No reason it shouldn't. The process replaces the the 64-bit folders and
repairs the boot sector to match. The disk file system would not need to be
changed.