Re-install Vista?

Walter Cohen

Re-install Vista?
I'm running Vista Home Pro w/SP1 on my desktop and I get random freezes with
IE as well as other issues I've had with Windows Defender and just a general
more sluggish system than over a year ago when I loaded it new.

I'm wondering if there's a way to reinstall Vista over itself or would I
have to start over from a clean HD and reinstall?
I'm not looking for a repair, I don't think. I have no problem with
starting over from scratch and reinstalling all my applications but if I
don't need to....

Any way, if I do want/need to start over what (and how) do I need to backup
in order to restore later such as mail folders, IE settings, etc?

Thanks,
Walt

John Barnes

Re: Re-install Vista?
Even if you could install Vista over itself, what would you expect to gain?
At best it would repair any defective files and you would need the same
level DVD as the system installed. You could run system file checker to see
if you do have defective system files. Best bet would be to reinstall and
only reinstall those progams etc that you are currently using.

"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Pro w/SP1 on my desktop and I get random freezes
> with IE as well as other issues I've had with Windows Defender and just a
> general more sluggish system than over a year ago when I loaded it new.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a way to reinstall Vista over itself or would I
> have to start over from a clean HD and reinstall?
> I'm not looking for a repair, I don't think. I have no problem with
> starting over from scratch and reinstalling all my applications but if I
> don't need to....
>
> Any way, if I do want/need to start over what (and how) do I need to
> backup in order to restore later such as mail folders, IE settings, etc?
>
> Thanks,
> Walt

+Bob+

Re: Re-install Vista?
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:56:03 -0500, "Walter Cohen"
<w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm running Vista Home Pro w/SP1 on my desktop and I get random freezes with
>IE

Just to respond to that - I get them too. I believe it's an IE problem
but it often trashes the current boot. Vista does not isolate
applications very well.

>as well as other issues I've had with Windows Defender and just a general
>more sluggish system than over a year ago when I loaded it new.
>
>I'm wondering if there's a way to reinstall Vista over itself or would I
>have to start over from a clean HD and reinstall?
>I'm not looking for a repair, I don't think. I have no problem with
>starting over from scratch and reinstalling all my applications but if I
>don't need to....
>
>Any way, if I do want/need to start over what (and how) do I need to backup
>in order to restore later such as mail folders, IE settings, etc?
>
>Thanks,
>Walt

Walter Cohen

Re: Re-install Vista?
Ok, that's what I thought.
As for backing up and restoring the Outlook mail folders and IE cookies,
newsgroups, identities, etc. is there a list of what to do and how to do it?
I know I need to back up my mail stores.
I remember from Win XP days that there was a way to backup/export cookies
and favorites. Does this still exist for Vista?

Thanks,
Walt
"John Barnes" <JBarnes@email.com> wrote in message
> Even if you could install Vista over itself, what would you expect to
> gain? At best it would repair any defective files and you would need the
> same level DVD as the system installed. You could run system file checker
> to see if you do have defective system files. Best bet would be to
> reinstall and only reinstall those progams etc that you are currently
> using.
>

> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Vista Home Pro w/SP1 on my desktop and I get random freezes
>> with IE as well as other issues I've had with Windows Defender and just a
>> general more sluggish system than over a year ago when I loaded it new.
>>
>> I'm wondering if there's a way to reinstall Vista over itself or would I
>> have to start over from a clean HD and reinstall?
>> I'm not looking for a repair, I don't think. I have no problem with
>> starting over from scratch and reinstalling all my applications but if I
>> don't need to....
>>
>> Any way, if I do want/need to start over what (and how) do I need to
>> backup in order to restore later such as mail folders, IE settings, etc?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Walt

DDW

Re: Re-install Vista?
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:19:01 -0500, "Walter Cohen"
<w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, that's what I thought.
>As for backing up and restoring the Outlook mail folders and IE cookies,
>newsgroups, identities, etc. is there a list of what to do and how to do it?
>I know I need to back up my mail stores.
>I remember from Win XP days that there was a way to backup/export cookies
>and favorites. Does this still exist for Vista?

Yep. It's not hard to find.

DDW
No email please
Rick Rogers

Re: Re-install Vista?
Hi Walter,

Have you tried running IE in the no addons mode? I suspect that you'll find
that your problem is related to a plugin, and disabling it may be the
solution.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/