Image Backups and Vista

Dave Lee

Image Backups and Vista
I would like to capture an occasional snapshot of my whole system (Dell XPS
laptop). The purpose here would that, in the unfortunate case of having to
do a complete re-install due to hardware or software problems, I could get
back (in a relatively simple fashion) to some known execution environment
where most of my applications were installed and registered/running/etc.
Data backups (while they would probably exist in this scheme) that I care
about would be done separately and much more frequently.

There is a lot of stuff out there from the commercial Windows world (like
Acronis) to stuff from a Unix/Linux heritage such as Ghost. I have a couple
of simple questions.

1) I assume that this (at least in principle) is do-able - that right? If so
do you have recommendations as to the right software package?

2) Any general "gotcha's" to be concerned about? FWIW my data backups take
two forms. All the personal data that I care about is stored in a single
(but complicated) folder structure and that is backed up regularly just as a
copy to a USB-2 attached harddrive. My Windows Live Mail data is backed up
via Vista Backup/Restore.

3) I would really like to do this to CD/DVD's (have a relatively recent
vintage CD/DVD drive that supports pretty much all the read and write
formats that existed as of 1/2008). But I have no idea as to how many disks
I could ultimately be dealing with here. Does anyone have any experience
with this out there? Right now I'm looking at around 80G of used space on my
Dell XPS laptop. But down the read this could get up to as much as 200G.

Thanks.

dave

The Max

Re: Image Backups and Vista
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:57:55 -0500, "Dave Lee"
<DaveLeeNC@ix.netcom.RemovE.com> wrote:

>I would like to capture an occasional snapshot of my whole system (Dell XPS
>laptop). The purpose here would that, in the unfortunate case of having to
>do a complete re-install due to hardware or software problems, I could get
>back (in a relatively simple fashion) to some known execution environment
>where most of my applications were installed and registered/running/etc.
>Data backups (while they would probably exist in this scheme) that I care
>about would be done separately and much more frequently.
>
>There is a lot of stuff out there from the commercial Windows world (like
>Acronis) to stuff from a Unix/Linux heritage such as Ghost. I have a couple
>of simple questions.
>
>1) I assume that this (at least in principle) is do-able - that right? If so
>do you have recommendations as to the right software package?

Acronis True Image.

>2) Any general "gotcha's" to be concerned about? FWIW my data backups take
>two forms. All the personal data that I care about is stored in a single
>(but complicated) folder structure and that is backed up regularly just as a
>copy to a USB-2 attached harddrive. My Windows Live Mail data is backed up
>via Vista Backup/Restore.
>
>3) I would really like to do this to CD/DVD's (have a relatively recent
>vintage CD/DVD drive that supports pretty much all the read and write
>formats that existed as of 1/2008). But I have no idea as to how many disks
>I could ultimately be dealing with here. Does anyone have any experience
>with this out there? Right now I'm looking at around 80G of used space on my
>Dell XPS laptop. But down the read this could get up to as much as 200G.

That will involve a LOT of DVDs: do the math. You won't get that much
compression, so just figure it 1:1.

While it's doable with DVDs, an external USB hard drive would be a
smarter choice, and a lot faster. PLUS your backups could be
accomplished unattended.

--
Max
John Barnett MVP

Re: Image Backups and Vista
Acronis True Image Home 2009 is the imaging software I use regularly.

In the main I backup to a removable USB drive.

If you are looking at DVD storage (which I also do), for the amount of data
you are backing up you are probably looking at around 16 DVDs (approx), on
the default compression. The problem with higher compressions is that they
can take a considerably long time to complete.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@ix.netcom.RemovE.com> wrote in message
> I would like to capture an occasional snapshot of my whole system (Dell
> XPS laptop). The purpose here would that, in the unfortunate case of
> having to do a complete re-install due to hardware or software problems, I
> could get back (in a relatively simple fashion) to some known execution
> environment where most of my applications were installed and
> registered/running/etc. Data backups (while they would probably exist in
> this scheme) that I care about would be done separately and much more
> frequently.
>
> There is a lot of stuff out there from the commercial Windows world (like
> Acronis) to stuff from a Unix/Linux heritage such as Ghost. I have a
> couple of simple questions.
>
> 1) I assume that this (at least in principle) is do-able - that right? If
> so do you have recommendations as to the right software package?
>
> 2) Any general "gotcha's" to be concerned about? FWIW my data backups take
> two forms. All the personal data that I care about is stored in a single
> (but complicated) folder structure and that is backed up regularly just as
> a copy to a USB-2 attached harddrive. My Windows Live Mail data is backed
> up via Vista Backup/Restore.
>
> 3) I would really like to do this to CD/DVD's (have a relatively recent
> vintage CD/DVD drive that supports pretty much all the read and write
> formats that existed as of 1/2008). But I have no idea as to how many
> disks I could ultimately be dealing with here. Does anyone have any
> experience with this out there? Right now I'm looking at around 80G of
> used space on my Dell XPS laptop. But down the read this could get up to
> as much as 200G.
>
> Thanks.
>
> dave

Dave Lee

Re: Image Backups and Vista
Thanks, Max. At 1-1 compression I do believe that a larger USB attached
drive just made my Christmas list.

dave

"The Max" <max.imus@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:57:55 -0500, "Dave Lee"
> <DaveLeeNC@ix.netcom.RemovE.com> wrote:
>
>>I would like to capture an occasional snapshot of my whole system (Dell
>>XPS
>>laptop). The purpose here would that, in the unfortunate case of having to
>>do a complete re-install due to hardware or software problems, I could get
>>back (in a relatively simple fashion) to some known execution environment
>>where most of my applications were installed and registered/running/etc.
>>Data backups (while they would probably exist in this scheme) that I care
>>about would be done separately and much more frequently.
>>
>>There is a lot of stuff out there from the commercial Windows world (like
>>Acronis) to stuff from a Unix/Linux heritage such as Ghost. I have a
>>couple
>>of simple questions.
>>
>>1) I assume that this (at least in principle) is do-able - that right? If
>>so
>>do you have recommendations as to the right software package?

> Acronis True Image.
>
>>2) Any general "gotcha's" to be concerned about? FWIW my data backups take
>>two forms. All the personal data that I care about is stored in a single
>>(but complicated) folder structure and that is backed up regularly just as
>>copy to a USB-2 attached harddrive. My Windows Live Mail data is backed up
>>via Vista Backup/Restore.
>>
>>3) I would really like to do this to CD/DVD's (have a relatively recent
>>vintage CD/DVD drive that supports pretty much all the read and write
>>formats that existed as of 1/2008). But I have no idea as to how many
>>disks
>>I could ultimately be dealing with here. Does anyone have any experience
>>with this out there? Right now I'm looking at around 80G of used space on
>>my
>>Dell XPS laptop. But down the read this could get up to as much as 200G.

> That will involve a LOT of DVDs: do the math. You won't get that much
> compression, so just figure it 1:1.
>
> While it's doable with DVDs, an external USB hard drive would be a
> smarter choice, and a lot faster. PLUS your backups could be
> accomplished unattended.
>
> --
> Max

Dave Lee

Re: Image Backups and Vista
Thanks for the very helpful feedback, John.

dave

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Acronis True Image Home 2009 is the imaging software I use regularly.
>
> In the main I backup to a removable USB drive.
>
> If you are looking at DVD storage (which I also do), for the amount of
> data you are backing up you are probably looking at around 16 DVDs
> (approx), on the default compression. The problem with higher compressions
> is that they can take a considerably long time to complete.

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> the
> mail/post..
>

> "Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@ix.netcom.RemovE.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to capture an occasional snapshot of my whole system (Dell
>> XPS laptop). The purpose here would that, in the unfortunate case of
>> having to do a complete re-install due to hardware or software problems,
>> I could get back (in a relatively simple fashion) to some known execution
>> environment where most of my applications were installed and
>> registered/running/etc. Data backups (while they would probably exist in
>> this scheme) that I care about would be done separately and much more
>> frequently.
>>
>> There is a lot of stuff out there from the commercial Windows world (like
>> Acronis) to stuff from a Unix/Linux heritage such as Ghost. I have a
>> couple of simple questions.
>>
>> 1) I assume that this (at least in principle) is do-able - that right? If
>> so do you have recommendations as to the right software package?
>>
>> 2) Any general "gotcha's" to be concerned about? FWIW my data backups
>> take two forms. All the personal data that I care about is stored in a
>> single (but complicated) folder structure and that is backed up regularly
>> just as a copy to a USB-2 attached harddrive. My Windows Live Mail data
>> is backed up via Vista Backup/Restore.
>>
>> 3) I would really like to do this to CD/DVD's (have a relatively recent
>> vintage CD/DVD drive that supports pretty much all the read and write
>> formats that existed as of 1/2008). But I have no idea as to how many
>> disks I could ultimately be dealing with here. Does anyone have any
>> experience with this out there? Right now I'm looking at around 80G of
>> used space on my Dell XPS laptop. But down the read this could get up to
>> as much as 200G.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> dave

John Barnett MVP