"Upgrade" from RC2 Problems

Jeff Daly

"Upgrade" from RC2 Problems
I am an Action Pack subscriber and now that my Office 2007 beta period is
over, I decided that I would grab hold of my Vista and Office release
versions and get it all over with. I realize that I can NOT 'upgrade' in
the traditional sense since the RC2 was Vista Ultimate and the Action Pack
distributes Vista Business. Here is what I've done:

1. I've done my backup and a Windows Easy Transfer to my external hard
drive.
2. I put the Vista DVD in and started away.
3. I put in the Product Key and let it download updates.
4. I left it.

When I came back, there was an error that said it couldn't be installed, it
restored my previous version and I should run the compatibility program.
I've RUN the compatibility program and I am RUNNING Vista (albeit a beta
version).

Questions:

1. Since this is a 'clean install', I don't have to uninstall anything to
make it work, do I?
2. Should I have uninstalled all my peripherals (printer, webcam, external
hard drive, etc.)?
3. Is there a chance that they did something between RC2 and release that
makes me now not compatible?

Any answers, suggestions, gut feelings, etc. are GREATLY appreciated!!! =)

Thanks,

Jeff

JimR

Re: "Upgrade" from RC2 Problems
"Jeff Daly" <jeff_daly (@) hotmail (dot) com> wrote in message
>I am an Action Pack subscriber and now that my Office 2007 beta period is
>over, I decided that I would grab hold of my Vista and Office release
>versions and get it all over with. I realize that I can NOT 'upgrade' in
>the traditional sense since the RC2 was Vista Ultimate and the Action Pack
>distributes Vista Business. Here is what I've done:
>
> 1. I've done my backup and a Windows Easy Transfer to my external hard
> drive.
> 2. I put the Vista DVD in and started away.
> 3. I put in the Product Key and let it download updates.
> 4. I left it.
>
> When I came back, there was an error that said it couldn't be installed,
> it restored my previous version and I should run the compatibility
> program. I've RUN the compatibility program and I am RUNNING Vista (albeit
> a beta version).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Since this is a 'clean install', I don't have to uninstall anything to
> make it work, do I?
> 2. Should I have uninstalled all my peripherals (printer, webcam,
> external hard drive, etc.)?
> 3. Is there a chance that they did something between RC2 and release that
> makes me now not compatible?
>
> Any answers, suggestions, gut feelings, etc. are GREATLY appreciated!!!
> =)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

I would try uninstalling all peripherals including add on pci cards, disable
on board sound in the BIOS, then add them one at a time after Vista
installs.

--
Jim

Rock

Re: "Upgrade" from RC2 Problems
"Jeff Daly" <jeff_daly (@) hotmail (dot) com> wrote
>I am an Action Pack subscriber and now that my Office 2007 beta period is
>over, I decided that I would grab hold of my Vista and Office release
>versions and get it all over with. I realize that I can NOT 'upgrade' in
>the traditional sense since the RC2 was Vista Ultimate and the Action Pack
>distributes Vista Business. Here is what I've done:
>
> 1. I've done my backup and a Windows Easy Transfer to my external hard
> drive.
> 2. I put the Vista DVD in and started away.
> 3. I put in the Product Key and let it download updates.
> 4. I left it.
>
> When I came back, there was an error that said it couldn't be installed,
> it restored my previous version and I should run the compatibility
> program. I've RUN the compatibility program and I am RUNNING Vista (albeit
> a beta version).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Since this is a 'clean install', I don't have to uninstall anything to
> make it work, do I?
> 2. Should I have uninstalled all my peripherals (printer, webcam,
> external hard drive, etc.)?
> 3. Is there a chance that they did something between RC2 and release that
> makes me now not compatible?
>
> Any answers, suggestions, gut feelings, etc. are GREATLY appreciated!!!
> =)

Is the Action Pack version an upgrade or a full version? That will impact
how you do the clean install. I thought it was an upgrade version. If
that's the case you either have to have XP installed and start the upgrade
from within XP or do the double install method to get a clean install.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]