Change a Dynamic C: Drive to a Basic Drive

imcrobie

Change a Dynamic C: Drive to a Basic Drive

I have only just installed Vista Business 32 on a Dell Vostro 32 that I
purchased second hand. After the install I shrunk the disk but still
had a very large c:drive so I followed a prompt that said I would get
more space if I changed the drive to Dynamic. I did this and all worked
fine until I attempted to reboot and you guessed it..... The machine
will now not reboot.

When I attempt to rebuild the partition via the Vista install CD I keep
going around in a loop with the dynamic drive not changing.

Any help on where to from here would be greatly appreciated.

By way of my background I work in IT and am comfortable editing he
registry etc but sometimes require assistance with Dos type commands as
I am not familair with many of them. All my data is on another
partition so if I need to trash the c:drive I am not too concerned.

--
imcrobie
philo

Re: Change a Dynamic C: Drive to a Basic Drive

"imcrobie" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have only just installed Vista Business 32 on a Dell Vostro 32 that I
> purchased second hand. After the install I shrunk the disk but still
> had a very large c:drive so I followed a prompt that said I would get
> more space if I changed the drive to Dynamic. I did this and all worked
> fine until I attempted to reboot and you guessed it..... The machine
> will now not reboot.
>
> When I attempt to rebuild the partition via the Vista install CD I keep
> going around in a loop with the dynamic drive not changing.
>
> Any help on where to from here would be greatly appreciated.
>
> By way of my background I work in IT and am comfortable editing he
> registry etc but sometimes require assistance with Dos type commands as
> I am not familair with many of them. All my data is on another
> partition so if I need to trash the c:drive I am not too concerned.

Pop the drive into another machine and backup all your data.
Confirm all your data are good!

Use a utility such as http://www.killdisk.com/ (for example) and delete the
entire drive.

Now start over and install Vista and partition the drive exactly how you
want to.

and of course, never again try to use a dynamic disc!

Rick Rogers

Re: Change a Dynamic C: Drive to a Basic Drive
Hi,

This may help:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc766465.aspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"imcrobie" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have only just installed Vista Business 32 on a Dell Vostro 32 that I
> purchased second hand. After the install I shrunk the disk but still
> had a very large c:drive so I followed a prompt that said I would get
> more space if I changed the drive to Dynamic. I did this and all worked
> fine until I attempted to reboot and you guessed it..... The machine
> will now not reboot.
>
> When I attempt to rebuild the partition via the Vista install CD I keep
> going around in a loop with the dynamic drive not changing.
>
> Any help on where to from here would be greatly appreciated.
>
> By way of my background I work in IT and am comfortable editing he
> registry etc but sometimes require assistance with Dos type commands as
> I am not familair with many of them. All my data is on another
> partition so if I need to trash the c:drive I am not too concerned.
>

> --
> imcrobie

SCSIraidGURU

Re: Change a Dynamic C: Drive to a Basic Drive

Backup. Boot your Vista CD. Remove the C: drive and recreate it.
Reinstall. Restore data.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney