where to put hotkeys?

charles cashion

where to put hotkeys?
Any shortcut will allow you to assign a hotkey to it.
But the hotkey fails to work. I suspect that the shortcut
has to be in the path. Under XP, I could put the shortcut
into C:\WINDOWS. Under Vista HP, I am not allowed to put
anything in C:\WINDOWS. (Even though I am administrator)
I suppose I could add C:\Users\ccashion to the path, but
I am not sure where to add it.

So I guess my two questions are: (1) how do I place a
shortcut in C:\WINDOWS? and (2) where can I add to the
path and have it picked up when I boot? and (3) is there
some better way to accomplish this which has nothing to
do with either (1) or (2)?
--cc
JerryM

Re: where to put hotkeys?
This will be a little long,
Right click Computer, and properties,
select Advanced system settings,
select Environment Variables,
in the lower window, select Path and edit,
Right arrow to drop the highlite, right arrow to the end of line,
Click a semicolon before adding on.

Good luck,
Jerry

"charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
> Any shortcut will allow you to assign a hotkey to it.
> But the hotkey fails to work. I suspect that the shortcut
> has to be in the path. Under XP, I could put the shortcut
> into C:\WINDOWS. Under Vista HP, I am not allowed to put
> anything in C:\WINDOWS. (Even though I am administrator)
> I suppose I could add C:\Users\ccashion to the path, but
> I am not sure where to add it.
>
> So I guess my two questions are: (1) how do I place a
> shortcut in C:\WINDOWS? and (2) where can I add to the
> path and have it picked up when I boot? and (3) is there
> some better way to accomplish this which has nothing to
> do with either (1) or (2)?
> --cc

JerryM

Re: where to put hotkeys?
Add another idea,
create a desktop shortcut for quick selection.

"charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
> Any shortcut will allow you to assign a hotkey to it.
> But the hotkey fails to work. I suspect that the shortcut
> has to be in the path. Under XP, I could put the shortcut
> into C:\WINDOWS. Under Vista HP, I am not allowed to put
> anything in C:\WINDOWS. (Even though I am administrator)
> I suppose I could add C:\Users\ccashion to the path, but
> I am not sure where to add it.
>
> So I guess my two questions are: (1) how do I place a
> shortcut in C:\WINDOWS? and (2) where can I add to the
> path and have it picked up when I boot? and (3) is there
> some better way to accomplish this which has nothing to
> do with either (1) or (2)?
> --cc

charles cashion

Re: where to put hotkeys?
YES!
YES!
YES!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
--cc
JerryM wrote:
> This will be a little long,
> Right click Computer, and properties,
> select Advanced system settings,
> select Environment Variables,
> in the lower window, select Path and edit,
> Right arrow to drop the highlite, right arrow to the end of line,
> Click a semicolon before adding on.
>
> Good luck,
> Jerry
>

> "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>> Any shortcut will allow you to assign a hotkey to it.
>> But the hotkey fails to work. I suspect that the shortcut
>> has to be in the path. Under XP, I could put the shortcut
>> into C:\WINDOWS. Under Vista HP, I am not allowed to put
>> anything in C:\WINDOWS. (Even though I am administrator)
>> I suppose I could add C:\Users\ccashion to the path, but
>> I am not sure where to add it.
>>
>> So I guess my two questions are: (1) how do I place a
>> shortcut in C:\WINDOWS? and (2) where can I add to the
>> path and have it picked up when I boot? and (3) is there
>> some better way to accomplish this which has nothing to
>> do with either (1) or (2)?
>> --cc

charles cashion

Re: where to put hotkeys?
<windows>+1 does that already.
Is that what you mean?
--cc
JerryM wrote:
> Add another idea,
> create a desktop shortcut for quick selection.
>
> "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>> Any shortcut will allow you to assign a hotkey to it.
>> But the hotkey fails to work. I suspect that the shortcut
>> has to be in the path. Under XP, I could put the shortcut
>> into C:\WINDOWS. Under Vista HP, I am not allowed to put
>> anything in C:\WINDOWS. (Even though I am administrator)
>> I suppose I could add C:\Users\ccashion to the path, but
>> I am not sure where to add it.
>>
>> So I guess my two questions are: (1) how do I place a
>> shortcut in C:\WINDOWS? and (2) where can I add to the
>> path and have it picked up when I boot? and (3) is there
>> some better way to accomplish this which has nothing to
>> do with either (1) or (2)?
>> --cc

JerryM

Re: where to put hotkeys?
No, I was just thinking of an alternate idea.

> <windows>+1 does that already.
> Is that what you mean?
> --cc
> JerryM wrote:
>> Add another idea,
>> create a desktop shortcut for quick selection.

<Snip>