Cannot install Security Update KB953155

arhipoff@gmail.com

Cannot install Security Update KB953155
I'm getting pop-up message "Windows Modules Installer stopped working
and was closed" on installing KB953155. If I dismiss this message the
Windows Update applet continues KB953155 installation forever. I have
to kill wuauctl.exe to get rid of the applet. Another bonus - if I
enable auto updates then I cannot shut down my PC, it tries to
configue updates forever.

Information from Event Log:
right after message:
Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\Windows\servicing
\TrustedInstaller.exe; Description = Windows Modules Installer).
I have an error:
Faulting application TrustedInstaller.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000,
time stamp 0x47918bff, faulting module wcp.dll, version
6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a76e, exception code 0x80000003,
fault offset 0x0013aa95, process id 0x162c, application start time
0x01c93b5d631d2401.

Please Help
Arhipoff
Bruskii

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155

Hi Arhipoff,

I had sort of the same problem, kb953155, vista and not able to switch
off pc due to update kept running.
Also "system restore to previous date not posible" due to constant
running windows update.
Finaly solved the issue by switching off windows update control
panel-windows update-change settings choose never check for update.
Roll back system to previous date.
Because of the roll back my windows update was set back to auto again
:-)
And performed the update now without any problems.

Hope it helps you.

--
Bruskii
Bruskii's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bruskii.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

John Barnes

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155
Microsoft provides free assistance for Windows Update problems, and has
their best technicians on that team. You can run sfc.
Click start orb then search cmd then right click and run as admin then type
sfc/scannow
This will let you know if you have a defective module.

<arhipoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting pop-up message "Windows Modules Installer stopped working
> and was closed" on installing KB953155. If I dismiss this message the
> Windows Update applet continues KB953155 installation forever. I have
> to kill wuauctl.exe to get rid of the applet. Another bonus - if I
> enable auto updates then I cannot shut down my PC, it tries to
> configue updates forever.
>
> Information from Event Log:
> right after message:
> Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\Windows\servicing
> \TrustedInstaller.exe; Description = Windows Modules Installer).
> I have an error:
> Faulting application TrustedInstaller.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000,
> time stamp 0x47918bff, faulting module wcp.dll, version
> 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a76e, exception code 0x80000003,
> fault offset 0x0013aa95, process id 0x162c, application start time
> 0x01c93b5d631d2401.
>
> Please Help
> Arhipoff

Bruskii

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155

Hi John,

I did run the sfc /scannow command in admin state.
But this is what i get back:
___________________
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 16% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
____________________
And return to the dos prompt.
Now what?

--
Bruskii
Bruskii's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bruskii.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1064082.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

John Barnes

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155
copied from another post and should be sfc /scannow

"John Barnes" <JBarnes@email.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft provides free assistance for Windows Update problems, and has
> their best technicians on that team. You can run sfc
> Click start orb then search cmd then right click and run as admin then
> type sfc/scannow
> This will let you know if you have a defective module.
>
> <arhipoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm getting pop-up message "Windows Modules Installer stopped working
>> and was closed" on installing KB953155. If I dismiss this message the
>> Windows Update applet continues KB953155 installation forever. I have
>> to kill wuauctl.exe to get rid of the applet. Another bonus - if I
>> enable auto updates then I cannot shut down my PC, it tries to
>> configue updates forever.
>>
>> Information from Event Log:
>> right after message:
>> Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\Windows\servicing
>> \TrustedInstaller.exe; Description = Windows Modules Installer).
>> I have an error:
>> Faulting application TrustedInstaller.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000,
>> time stamp 0x47918bff, faulting module wcp.dll, version
>> 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a76e, exception code 0x80000003,
>> fault offset 0x0013aa95, process id 0x162c, application start time
>> 0x01c93b5d631d2401.
>>
>> Please Help
>> Arhipoff

John Barnes

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155
I guess I misunderstood your post. You said the last install of the
Security Update was performed with no problems. You can try the steps in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

"Bruskii" <Bruskii.3i9afc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi John,
>
> I did run the sfc /scannow command in admin state.
> But this is what i get back:
> ___________________
> Beginning verification phase of system scan.
> Verification 16% complete.
>
> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
> ____________________
> And return to the dos prompt.
> Now what?
>

> --
> Bruskii
> Bruskii's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bruskii.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1064082.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Bruskii

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155

Hi John,

I have tried it.
But the txt file is completly empty and give no clue what is wrong.
I do noiticed the folowing
as soon as i run the sfc /scannow command and hit 16%, i get the the
error message "Windows Module Installer stopped working and was closed"
this is the same error i get if i try to do windows update manualy.

I know we are on the right track solving it.
Hope you can help me further you are doing a get job.
cheers,
Bruskii

--
Bruskii
Bruskii's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bruskii.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1064082.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

arhipoff

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155
Hi, guys.

I have exaclty same scenario as Bruskii is describing, run sfc as
Administrator and after 15% got the error message "Windows Module
Installer stopped working and was closed".
Currently trying to get free Vista SP1 support from Microsoft, will
see if this issue qualifies...

Thanks,
--Arhipoff
Bruskii

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155

Please if someone have a idea i am stuck :-(

- pc is clean of virus/spyware/addware
- Register cleaned up with Register Mechanic 7

Problem of some windows update like KB953155, KB958644 get stuck with
error mesage "Windows Module Installer stopped working and was closed"

Some of the updates do go through like the windows defender update like
KB915597 of today.

PC was running fine for half a year till last week.

Any advice would be helpfull

Thanks in advance

Bruskii

--
Bruskii
Bruskii's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bruskii.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1064082.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

John Barnes

Re: Cannot install Security Update KB953155
Still suggest you use
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusu...wusupport#tab3