Second Installation

Markos Mevorah

Second Installation
Hello,

I would like to ask you this:
I have bought a Windows Vista Business English Edition DVD.
I have installed this in my current PC.
I have activated this and it is OK.

Now I am planning to buy completely new PC with all new hardware.

I want to ask: Can I use the same DVD mentioned above to install same
Vista in the new machine ?

DDW

Re: Second Installation
"Markos Mevorah" <markos.mevorah@gmail.com> wrote:

>I want to ask: Can I use the same DVD mentioned above to install same
>Vista in the new machine ?

Nope. No way. Absolutely not. Never.

Capice?

DDW
No email please
Rick Rogers

Re: Second Installation
Hi,

As soon as you either a) purchase an additional license or b) remove it from
thew current pc. This is assuming a retail disk, and not an OEM full
version. The former can be migrated to other hardware, the latter cannot.
Your Vista license is for a single installation for a single machine. Retail
licenses are transferable, most OEM ones are not.

Additional licenses:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...licensing.aspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Markos Mevorah" <markos.mevorah@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask you this:
> I have bought a Windows Vista Business English Edition DVD.
> I have installed this in my current PC.
> I have activated this and it is OK.
>
> Now I am planning to buy completely new PC with all new hardware.
>
> I want to ask: Can I use the same DVD mentioned above to install same
> Vista in the new machine ?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Second Installation
Markos Mevorah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask you this:
> I have bought a Windows Vista Business English Edition DVD.
> I have installed this in my current PC.
> I have activated this and it is OK.
>
> Now I am planning to buy completely new PC with all new hardware.
>
> I want to ask: Can I use the same DVD mentioned above to install same
> Vista in the new machine ?

If you have a retail license (an OEM license is not transferable) and
you're removing it from the first PC, yes. If you want to use the same
license on two computers simultaneously, no.

You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it. (As long as you have multiple identical licenses,
it doesn't matter if you use the same CD for the installations, as long
as you use a different license each time.)

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP and
Vista licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has included a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Markos Mevorah

Re: Second Installation
Hei Bruce,

So from your answer and from websites I investigated
I have to see this:

First I have retail licence as I have bought a separate
Windows Vista Business box.
Second I can install same Vista in new machine as long
as I remove the Vista from old machine.
I read that there are at least 2 methods to remove it:
1) Delete the Windows Installation folder.
2) Format the harddisk or partition where the Vista is installed.

I will use the method 2.

> Markos Mevorah wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to ask you this:
>> I have bought a Windows Vista Business English Edition DVD.
>> I have installed this in my current PC.
>> I have activated this and it is OK.
>>
>> Now I am planning to buy completely new PC with all new hardware.
>>
>> I want to ask: Can I use the same DVD mentioned above to install same
>> Vista in the new machine ?
>>

> If you have a retail license (an OEM license is not transferable) and
> you're removing it from the first PC, yes. If you want to use the same
> license on two computers simultaneously, no.
>
> You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
> which you install it. (As long as you have multiple identical licenses,
> it doesn't matter if you use the same CD for the installations, as long as
> you use a different license each time.)
>
> Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating systems,
> it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S. copyright
> law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not technically)
> to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it is installed.
> (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine final
> applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP and Vista
> licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
> Microsoft has included a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism, Product
> Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult) multiple
> installations using a single license.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Bruce Chambers

Re: Second Installation
Markos Mevorah wrote:
> Hei Bruce,
>
> So from your answer and from websites I investigated
> I have to see this:
>
> First I have retail licence as I have bought a separate
> Windows Vista Business box.

That doesn't necessarily follow, given the foibles of the English
language. What do you mean, precisely, by the term "box?" Many people
use it to refer to the computer itself, thereby meaning that a "Windows
Vista Business box" is a computer with OEM Vista pre-installed. If,
however, you mean that you purchased a copy of Windows Vista Business
Edition off the shelf of a retail outlet (or via an Internet vendor),
without a computer, then you certainly should have a retail license.

> Second I can install same Vista in new machine as long
> as I remove the Vista from old machine.

Correct, stipulating a retail license.

> I read that there are at least 2 methods to remove it:
> 1) Delete the Windows Installation folder.
> 2) Format the harddisk or partition where the Vista is installed.
>
> I will use the method 2.

I suppose method 1. would do the trick, yes, although it would leave
the old computer in a sort of useless limbo. Generally, though, the
normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
the hard drive (your method 2.) and install a new OS of your choice.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:
> That doesn't necessarily follow, given the foibles of the English
> language. What do you mean, precisely, by the term "box?" Many people
> use it to refer to the computer itself, thereby meaning that a "Windows
> Vista Business box" is a computer with OEM Vista pre-installed. If,
> however, you mean that you purchased a copy of Windows Vista Business
> Edition off the shelf of a retail outlet (or via an Internet vendor),
> without a computer, then you certainly should have a retail license.

Yes, with the term "box" I meant the DVD and manual package without
any computer.

I will format the hard drive on old computer.

Thank you Bruce for the clarifications!

Markos.