TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)

MICHAEL

TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista,
XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points
and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide
Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate,
BitLocker will protect Vista.

I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI
to hide Vista's partition. An MVP has this posted
on his website as an option. I have seen this posted
in on several websites. However, I have seen quite
a few folks say that TweakUI doesn't actually work
properly in hiding Vista's partition and their restore points
are deleted. Has anyone verified if TweakUI actually does
protect Vista's restore points by hiding Vista's partition?

I would appreciate feedback on this. Those that have used
TweakUI, booted to XP and then back to Vista, and still have
their restore points. Successful and unsuccessful.

Before I recommend this to anyone, I really would like to
hear from those that have tried it. Unfortunately, I haven't
tried it, yet. I'm using BitLocker to protect Vista on this machine.

Thanks guys.

-Michael
Mike Burgess

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
No it does NOT work ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/ar...m-restore.aspx

Mike Burgess
Microsoft MVP - Internet Explorer - 1999-2007
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message
> As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista,
> XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points
> and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide
> Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate,
> BitLocker will protect Vista.
>
> I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI to hide Vista's partition.
> An MVP has this posted
> on his website as an option. I have seen this posted
> in on several websites. However, I have seen quite
> a few folks say that TweakUI doesn't actually work
> properly in hiding Vista's partition and their restore points
> are deleted. Has anyone verified if TweakUI actually does
> protect Vista's restore points by hiding Vista's partition?
>
> I would appreciate feedback on this. Those that have used
> TweakUI, booted to XP and then back to Vista, and still have
> their restore points. Successful and unsuccessful.
>
> Before I recommend this to anyone, I really would like to
> hear from those that have tried it. Unfortunately, I haven't
> tried it, yet. I'm using BitLocker to protect Vista on this machine.
>
> Thanks guys.
>

> -Michael

Michal Kawecki

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
TweakUI only add a new keys "Nodrives" or "NoViewOnDrive" under HKLM(or
HKCU)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\Explorer in
system registry. It only prevent displaying/accessing selected letters
in Windows Explorer. Nothing more.
--
M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
/before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message
> As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista,
> XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points
> and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide
> Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate,
> BitLocker will protect Vista.
>
> I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI to hide Vista's
> partition. An MVP has this posted
> on his website as an option. I have seen this posted
> in on several websites. However, I have seen quite
> a few folks say that TweakUI doesn't actually work
> properly in hiding Vista's partition and their restore points
> are deleted. Has anyone verified if TweakUI actually does
> protect Vista's restore points by hiding Vista's partition?
>
> I would appreciate feedback on this. Those that have used
> TweakUI, booted to XP and then back to Vista, and still have
> their restore points. Successful and unsuccessful.
>
> Before I recommend this to anyone, I really would like to
> hear from those that have tried it. Unfortunately, I haven't
> tried it, yet. I'm using BitLocker to protect Vista on this machine.
>
> Thanks guys.
>

> -Michael

MICHAEL

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
Thanks, guys.

-Michael

"Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl> wrote in message news:e08msb3cHHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> TweakUI only add a new keys "Nodrives" or "NoViewOnDrive" under HKLM(or
> HKCU)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\Explorer in system registry. It only
> prevent displaying/accessing selected letters in Windows Explorer. Nothing more.
> --
> M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
> /before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista,
>> XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points
>> and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide
>> Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate,
>> BitLocker will protect Vista.
>>
>> I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI to hide Vista's partition. An MVP has this
>> posted
>> on his website as an option. I have seen this posted
>> in on several websites. However, I have seen quite
>> a few folks say that TweakUI doesn't actually work
>> properly in hiding Vista's partition and their restore points
>> are deleted. Has anyone verified if TweakUI actually does
>> protect Vista's restore points by hiding Vista's partition?
>>
>> I would appreciate feedback on this. Those that have used
>> TweakUI, booted to XP and then back to Vista, and still have
>> their restore points. Successful and unsuccessful.
>>
>> Before I recommend this to anyone, I really would like to
>> hear from those that have tried it. Unfortunately, I haven't
>> tried it, yet. I'm using BitLocker to protect Vista on this machine.
>>
>> Thanks guys.
>>

>> -Michael

Peter

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
I queried this with Microsoft a while back and they stated that it is just
possible that this problem will be dealt with in XP SP3. No promises
however.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

> Thanks, guys.
>

> -Michael
>
> "Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl> wrote in message
>> TweakUI only add a new keys "Nodrives" or "NoViewOnDrive" under HKLM(or
>> HKCU)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\Explorer in
>> system registry. It only prevent displaying/accessing selected letters in
>> Windows Explorer. Nothing more.
>> --
>> M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
>> /before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/
>>
>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>> As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista,
>>> XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points
>>> and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide
>>> Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate,
>>> BitLocker will protect Vista.
>>>
>>> I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI to hide Vista's partition.
>>> An MVP has this posted
>>> on his website as an option. I have seen this posted
>>> in on several websites. However, I have seen quite
>>> a few folks say that TweakUI doesn't actually work
>>> properly in hiding Vista's partition and their restore points
>>> are deleted. Has anyone verified if TweakUI actually does
>>> protect Vista's restore points by hiding Vista's partition?
>>>
>>> I would appreciate feedback on this. Those that have used
>>> TweakUI, booted to XP and then back to Vista, and still have
>>> their restore points. Successful and unsuccessful.
>>>
>>> Before I recommend this to anyone, I really would like to
>>> hear from those that have tried it. Unfortunately, I haven't
>>> tried it, yet. I'm using BitLocker to protect Vista on this machine.
>>>
>>> Thanks guys.
>>>

>>> -Michael

MICHAEL

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
I have heard the same, and been told that by two
different Microsoft employees. Hopefully, it does
get fixed.

-Michael

>I queried this with Microsoft a while back and they stated that it is just possible that this
>problem will be dealt with in XP SP3. No promises however.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
> P4 HT @ 3.00ghz, 4.0gb RAM, 700gb HDD
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, guys.
>>

>> -Michael
>>
>> "Michal Kawecki" <kkwinto@o2.pl> wrote in message
>>> TweakUI only add a new keys "Nodrives" or "NoViewOnDrive" under HKLM(or
>>> HKCU)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Po licies\Explorer in system registry. It
>>> only prevent displaying/accessing selected letters in Windows Explorer. Nothing more.
>>> --
>>> M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
>>> /before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

Peter

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
Well it does kind of make a mockery of Vista's so-called "added security"
features when another, older system can wipe bits of it out.
Talking about bits, I tried the Bitlocker approach in my Vista...doesn't
work. Keeps insisting that there isn't enough drive space and there is
loads, believe me.
Probably the dual boot situation is just too much for it!!
Can't wait for Vista SP1 too.

--

>I have heard the same, and been told that by two
> different Microsoft employees. Hopefully, it does
> get fixed.
>

> -Michael
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I queried this with Microsoft a while back and they stated that it is just
>>possible that this problem will be dealt with in XP SP3. No promises
>>however.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
>> P4 HT @ 3.00ghz, 4.0gb RAM, 700gb HDD
>>
>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, guys.
>>>

>>> -Michael

Rock

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr2@dslr.net> wrote
> As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista,
> XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points
> and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide
> Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate,
> BitLocker will protect Vista.
>
> I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI to hide Vista's partition.
> An MVP has this posted
> on his website as an option. I have seen this posted
> in on several websites. However, I have seen quite
> a few folks say that TweakUI doesn't actually work
> properly in hiding Vista's partition and their restore points
> are deleted. Has anyone verified if TweakUI actually does
> protect Vista's restore points by hiding Vista's partition?
>
> I would appreciate feedback on this. Those that have used
> TweakUI, booted to XP and then back to Vista, and still have
> their restore points. Successful and unsuccessful.
>
> Before I recommend this to anyone, I really would like to
> hear from those that have tried it. Unfortunately, I haven't
> tried it, yet. I'm using BitLocker to protect Vista on this machine.

I tried it, and didn't help. XP still deleted the Vista restore points.
All it does is remove the drive letter from Explorer, but the partition is
still accessible and other apps can see it. I think John should remove that
workaround from his otherwise excellent help site.

As to whether this will be changed in XP, during the TechBeta MS folks said
it was a costly change to make requiring extensive rewriting, so it wasn't
likely this would happen. That some folks are hearing otherwise lately is
good news, though I wouldn't count on it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Bert Kinney

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
Hi Michael,

Bootit NG has the ability to hide more than one OS from each other.

BootIt Next Generation - Videos and Tutorials
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/examples.html

BootIt Next Generation - Help and Support
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/support.html

TeraByte Unlimited - Outlook Express Setup - Product Support Newsgroup Forums
http://www.bootitng.com/oehelp.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

MICHAEL wrote:
> As we all know, if you dual-boot XP and Vista,
> XP's volsnap.sys will delete Vista's restore points
> and shadow copies. We know the two fixes- hide
> Vista's partition from XP or if you have Ultimate,
> BitLocker will protect Vista.
>
> I have seen some users suggest using TweakUI to hide Vista's partition.
> An MVP has this posted
> on his website as an option. I have seen this posted
> in on several websites. However, I have seen quite
> a few folks say that TweakUI doesn't actually work
> properly in hiding Vista's partition and their restore points
> are deleted. Has anyone verified if TweakUI actually does
> protect Vista's restore points by hiding Vista's partition?
>
> I would appreciate feedback on this. Those that have used
> TweakUI, booted to XP and then back to Vista, and still have
> their restore points. Successful and unsuccessful.
>
> Before I recommend this to anyone, I really would like to
> hear from those that have tried it. Unfortunately, I haven't
> tried it, yet. I'm using BitLocker to protect Vista on this machine.
>
> Thanks guys.
>

> -Michael

MICHAEL

Re: TweakUI & Vista's restore points (Feedback, please)
Good info, Bert. Thank you.

-Michael